homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Why why why why why ........

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why why why why why ........
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 13:49      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do I need MS Windsucks? To play one game. Thats it just one. If it was out for Mac I would so take an axe to my PC.

Here is my problem. It won't boot past the screen with the little blue bar that goes accross the screen. You know the one, with the black backround and it says something like "Winblows XP home".

So I googled it and holy shamoly, It sounds like every one and there mother have had this problem.

But any sugesstion I found does not work.

I can get into safe mode so I know it's not my HD. I did a boot log and tried to boot up in normal mode and it looks like one of 2 things. A driver called ACPI Uniprocesser PC or a driver for my CPU. I have and AMD Athlon 1800 but the driver it has loaded says K7. Thoes are the 2 drivers that are comming up on the top of the list for not loading.

I changed nothing from the time it booted up fine (Monday morning) and shut it down that night. Come Tuesday morning it was hanging on that stupid splash screen. I did however do a do a hard shut down do to it hanging on the shutting down spalsh screen. Something I have done in the past with no problems.

I have Win XP SP2.

Anything you can come up with would help a lot.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 14:15      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't help you, I'm afraid.

What's the "one game" for you? The only things forcing me to keep an ugly WinXP partition on my MBP are GTA:SA with the Multi Theft Auto patch and Halflife 2. And it's nice to be able to test sites in IE, but I'd much rather to that on Parallels.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 14:19      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in safe mode:
control panel - administrative tools - event viewer - application

find the red and or yellow marks, dbl click to open

those will tell you what got screwed

go to google and look it up, pick any link under support.microsoft.com for the fix

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 14:20      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's SWG I love that game.

Also for the CPU driver I downloaded the correct driver from AMD.com and my computer doesn't like it.

Also I did try the restore on the CD and the thing that brings the computer back to a previouse state. Niether worked.

Edit: Thank You -ct- I will try that next

--------------------

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2007 07:07      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I found the thing that was wrong with my PC using -ct-'s advice. It was the driver for my CPU. I went to google and googled it and went to microsucks website. I found the new driver and installed it and then restarted and. Grrrrrrrrrrrr it was still doing it.

So I got upset with it and left it on the boot screen and went and watched the History channel. When I went to bed it was still stuck like that. I woke up this morning and still no change. So I made coffee and sat down at one of my trusty Macs and was reading the news and drinking my coffee and at around 8am the PC suddenly came to life and loaded.

Ok so WTF is up with that. Thats the longest boot time I have ever seen. 13 hours it took to boot up.

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2007 10:26      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
So I found the thing that was wrong with my PC using -ct-'s advice. It was the driver for my CPU. I went to google and googled it and went to microsucks website. I found the new driver and installed it and then restarted and. Grrrrrrrrrrrr it was still doing it.

So I got upset with it and left it on the boot screen and went and watched the History channel. When I went to bed it was still stuck like that. I woke up this morning and still no change. So I made coffee and sat down at one of my trusty Macs and was reading the news and drinking my coffee and at around 8am the PC suddenly came to life and loaded.

Ok so WTF is up with that. Thats the longest boot time I have ever seen. 13 hours it took to boot up.

Sounds about par for the course.

Have fun.
[Wink]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2007 16:22      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh yeah, might wanna get free.grisoft.com a shot at it as well

and adaware, and spybot and hijackthis

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2007 18:57      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
So I found the thing that was wrong with my PC using -ct-'s advice.

Uh oh... don't be surprised if your computer spontaneously combursts into flames.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture