homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » No Boot screen (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: No Boot screen
Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2007 04:15      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I've a Asus P5N32-SLI SE Motherboard and I can get the bios screen to load. I've tried it with a couple of hard drives and it sounds like there not being read although there is power on the motherboard as all the fans and dvd drives work.

I've both the 24pin and 8pin connection in (as I've a Core 2 Duo cpu) powered by a 600w psu

Any ideas??

Regards

Mike

Posts: 127 | From: Ireland | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2007 04:32      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mikebyrne_____________________This has been said or typed before. "Will it boot from a CD (recovery disk or Live Linux distro)? If not then You have problems

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2007 04:34      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
never mind

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2007 04:43      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a new problem hence the new topic

It wont even boot into the Bios screen now nevermind anything else. Just looking for possible reasons from people. I kinda thin kits the cpu but I really hope it isnt!!

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2007 05:53      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
have you tried reseting the BIOS?

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2007 05:55      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there a way to do that on the motherboard because I cant even see the bios menu on screen?
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2007 06:40      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Google POST (power on, self test) and listen for beeps.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted January 15, 2007 06:42      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found how to reset going to try when I get home.

I've bulit loads of pc's never had so many problems!!!

Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2007 06:53      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
using nero to burn an iso image to make a boot disc. Is there any special way to do it or can you use the Data cd option?
Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2007 09:42      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No joy with resetting the Bios. Still no boot screen!

Looked up POST on google and going to play with the RAM

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2007 10:02            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, so, what happens when you push the power switch? Power light comes on, fans turn on, hard drive (if any) spins up, and then nothing? Blank screen? Do you hear any beeps? In fact, did you connect the speaker to the motherboard at all, in order to hear any? (Just in case you did not)

"BIOS screen" I presume refers to the start-up screen from the main BIOS, not the BIOS configuration interface. Does the video BIOS show anything on the screen? (I have no idea how many cards do this, but quite a few seem to now)

Moreover, does the monitor receive a signal at all, or does it sit in stand-by mode?

IP: Logged
Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2007 10:06      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It powers up the cpu fan and the dvd drives. Cant hear the hd's click (tried both IDE and SATA drives on seperate occasions) and the monitor remains on standby
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2007 10:26      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does it beep. In fact if it does beep listen to the pattern and look up online what it means. There are different beeps for different problems i.e. not detecting keyboard, monitor, ram, ect.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2007 10:28            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I presume the 24- and 8-pin power plugs are both correctly attached now? The 4-pin one that you'd connected, what did you connect that to, and what was that plug for? I never did like the sound of that.
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2007 16:32      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there's no beeping of any kind, your motherboard is likely shot.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2007 16:46      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't want to tell anyone here how to suck eggs (deities forbid!) but some of these boards are odd. (Give me a Mac - I know what I am up against there...)

I had one that required the usual plug plus the 4 pin one...

Some here have said it is "usually" one or the other, but some need both - now some here are adding another 8pin (beyond my experience)

At a wild guess (don't flame me I said GUESS) the extra pins power newer board's requirements for flashy Graphics etc.?

Like the rest of you all I can say is RTFM - just guessing (as we may well be) at what plugs power it up or not is just asking to fry something or at best NOT power somethng that is required.

I mostly play about with older (usually salvage) stuff and if I burn it out it is no loss really but so far with a bit of help from Shroom and DNM and others who frequent this board and IRC I have resurrected several "rubbish" PCs to decent life (wiping Windows seems to be the best cure) - many "useless" PCs I have been given were actually quite good spec machines, usually short on RAM but otherwise fine... yet Windows XP was dragging them down. A disk wipe and an install of a decent "easy" Linux has made many a "dead" PC live again.

KDE based distros such as Kubuntu, Ark and Xandros seem to go down well with the (enforced) "switchers" I deal with - Windowsesque enough to not throw them too much of a "curve ball" but they are amazed at how much lovely stuff they can have for free...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1935 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 03:49      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah both 8pin and 24pin are plugged in. I've tried resetting the Bios but with no joy.

It seems to power up the dvd drives, fans and keyboard but doesn't progress after that

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 04:36            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I find a common trait with, well, all the people who ask for help here is that they do not read what anyone writes!

Speaker! Is the speaker connected? (And correctly) Does it beep? (This is the standard way that a dead PC signals failure at the hardware level if the BIOS can't start up)

But, assuming you've read the manual and double-checked and triple-checked that everything is wired up as it should be (!) then all I can think of is disconnecting and removing everything non-essential and starting from there. Unplug all drives, peripherals, non-essential PCI cards, and remove all but the necessary RAM (one stick, or two if it's dual bank, and make sure they're in the right slots) and see what happens. If you have more than one DIMM of RAM and it's single bank, try each one.

And unplug the reset switch in case, like my friend's PC, it's jammed ;)

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 05:39      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
then all I can think of is disconnecting and removing everything non-essential and starting from there. Unplug all drives, peripherals, non-essential PCI cards, and remove all but the necessary RAM (one stick, or two if it's dual bank, and make sure they're in the right slots) and see what happens
I'll go one further - unplug everything but the power and video. A bad keyboard or mouse can stop the whole deal...and parent poster said that it stops before the keyboard...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 05:41      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry thought I mentioned that there was no beep

Going to unplug everything again as mentioned.

The reset button was never connected just the power switch but that seems to be working fine.

I'm tottaly lost at the moment!

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 05:48            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dragonman, I was attempting (and failing, clearly ;) to include keyboard and mouse for that reason :) Everything non-essential, and the keyboard and mouse are definitely not essential -- particularly if you have soft power set to shut down the OS if you press the power button.
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 06:24      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
If there's no beeping of any kind, your motherboard is likely shot.

I second dnm's guess. Particularly if there was some incorrect power connections going on earlier in the procedure. Does the motherboard have a power light, and if so, does it light up when the machine is powered up?

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 06:40      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah there is power on the motherboard light and it seems to power everything apart from my HD.

Runnig out of ideas on this

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 08:41      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the motherboard light is on and it doesn't beep you are screwed. What happenes when you try to boot with ONLY RAM CPU and power supply attached. It should beep telling you you have no monitor or keyboard attached.

EDIT:

didn't see DMans post. Do wht he said.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 08:50      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll try it with no keyboard, mouse or monitor tonight

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture