homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » webcam for Mac

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: webcam for Mac
stubojug
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 6864

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted January 11, 2007 20:17      Profile for stubojug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need a webcam for a G4 with 10.4 to Skype with my daughter on a PC.

I was going to buy an iSight webcam but heard they are no more.

What kind of webcam will work for my need?

Thanks.

--------------------
Stubojug

Posts: 2 | From: Louisville | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted January 11, 2007 21:13      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guess is iSight 2 release is just around the corner. I bet there are some apple dealers who still have iSight v1.0 too... macmcseboy?
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 23:41      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alas i have none and apple cancelled all my orders... I had to rfund a couple of folks as a result.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
JamesDublin
Mini Geek
Member # 6177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 00:20      Profile for JamesDublin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I checked Ebay and you can get an iSight there for the original price or less.

Also, you can use a regular video camera instead of an iSight, but I'm pretty certain it has to be connected to your mac by firewire.

This could be a good excuse to buy a new Mac!

--------------------
I still love my 17" PowerBook G4!

Posts: 56 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
stubojug
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 6864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 06:11      Profile for stubojug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I figured I probably have to get an iSight. I was hoping something less expensive would work. Oh well.

Thanks.

Posts: 2 | From: Louisville | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 06:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI: The current iSight was discontinued because it doesn't meet ROHS standards. I'm not really sure if they will release a v2.0, or simply roll them into their displays. Mind you, that excludes the Mac Pro and Mac Mini owners from having iSights unless they buy *expensive* Apple Displays, but I'm not sure that Steve would shed a tear over that.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 08:31      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there

there is no need to pay out top Dollar (or Pounds or Krona, or whatever) for a Mac compatible cam

list of Mac usb cams

and you can go right down to the ludicrously cheap Genius Videocam Eye which is Mac compatible out of the box...

and there is the new iMage driverless cam

Personally I have an old Logitech Quickcam Zoom (you can still sometimes find these on ebay) and a Genius tuppeny ha'penny one. and to be honest they both do the business well enough
The Genius is tiny, like a usb memorystick size but does not have built in sound... though the case has a little mic hole, so maybe there is a higher spec model??? but it is fine on any Mac that has a built in mic...

The Quickcam is a damn fine cam, try and get one with the bendy multi-purpose foot rather than the basic stand if you go for that one

Hope that helps

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 08:33      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought about getting a webcam once for the mac mini I had, but couldn't find one that said it was compatible with the Mac and I wasn't going to dish out the bucks for the isight.

Oh well...

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture