homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » ASUS P5N32-SLI SE DELUX (No Power) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: ASUS P5N32-SLI SE DELUX (No Power)
Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2007 10:29      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everybody,

Just got this mothreboard and i'm having a few problems

I'm running an Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13ghz with a 600w power supply.

When i plug in the 24pin cable i get a green light on the motherboard but when i power on it doesnt!!

Do i have to take the black cap off the 8pin atx and plug that in aswell as the 24pin connector?

I've searched through asus.com and in the forums but cant get a straight answer

Regards

Mike Byrne

Posts: 127 | From: Ireland | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2007 13:03      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if your mother board is powered (as shown by the green led) then think about the power on switch. is it connected correctly? I would pull all the wires off the mother board (power, reset, hd led,ect.) and cross the two power pins with a screw driver to see if the computer boots.

Second thing to try would be to test all the power outs of the power supply with a voltmeter. ( i would try this second only because it is more work.)

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2007 13:06            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do i have to take the black cap off the 8pin atx and plug that in aswell as the 24pin connector?

As I recall, definitely not. They're two alternatives that should not be used together.

IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2007 13:23      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure it is plugged in?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Seriously now, the case has a series of connectors attached. Check that they are all wired properly to the motherboard. Most don't have a directional commector, so try taking it off, rotating it 180 degrees and try again. (make sure + goes to + and - goes to -).

Im also moderately sure that all power connectors nowadays have soft power, so you'll get a green light permanently. Soft power makes trouble shooting more difficult, but allows remote booting and such.

If you didn't build it yourself, send it back. If you did, check the wiring.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2007 20:50      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just built a machine recently (ASUS M/B too, but an AMD AM2 variant), and I'm sure there was specific instructions about how to connect the power in either or both the case manual and the motherboard manual. There are two slight variants of connectors (24 and 32 pin from memory), so look at that to find out whether you can plug one straight to another or need some converter thing...

Edit: just read the manual for yours, you're meant to have both the 8 pin and 24 pin connected, one connects up just near where the back panel connections on the motherboard are (the ones that protrude through the case), and the other near the DDRAM slots. And if your power supply is a 20 pin one, connecting it to your 24 pin socket could be a problem...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 03:37      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See the problem is I dont have the manual for the mobo!!! (The pain of it!)

I've also tried to download one from their website but with no joy!

I try turning around the power on plug from my case to my mobo pins and see if that powers on the fans etc at least.

I'm very weary about plugging both the 8pin and the 24pin together at the same time. Don't want to blow the crap out of my psu and myself!

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 04:03            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hum ... this would appear to be the manual:

dlsvr02.asus.com/pub/.../e2708_p5n32-sli_se_dlx.pdf

According to pp. 64-65 (which the manual refers to as "2-38", meh) you do need both power connectors connected else it won't boot. (Last time the topic of the two power connectors came up, it was only one or the other but not both, but in this case, it's both).

Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 04:30      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I'll try both. Wish me luck!
Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 07:56      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the update.

I used the 4 pin atx connection along with the 24 pin and the system powered up and started to boot. The power then cut off before loading windows

I checked in the bios and everything seem fine (it sees CPU, memory, hd's and dvd drives)

I'm reluctant to use the 8 pin because there's a cap covering 4 of the 8 pins

Has anyone used the 8pin on this board??

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 21:41            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mikebyrne:

quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Edit: just read the manual for yours, you're meant to have both the 8 pin and 24 pin connected, one connects up just near where the back panel connections on the motherboard are (the ones that protrude through the case)...

quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
According to pp. 64-65 (which the manual refers to as "2-38", meh) you do need both power connectors connected else it won't boot...

I gave you a link to the manual so you can read it for yourself if you don't believe either csk or myself.
Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 02:49      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tried using both 4pin than using the 8pin but the system just cuts off after the bios screen and won't load windows!!

Its driving me mental!

Going to fiddle with the heatsink its the only thing left to try

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 03:22            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just remember that a friend sent back a processor and a motherboard, both "dead" but all that had really happened was the reset button on the case was jammed. Expect the unexpected. Besides, I don't think your CPU will reach critical temperature within a few seconds, but something else is troubling it.
Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 06:08      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THE SAGA CONTINUES

I replaced the heatsink and it now works fine up until it starts to load windows

I get the unexpected error screen but whatever option I select ie (Start windows, Safe mode etc)it just reboots back to the BIOS screen and repeats the process.

I put the hard drive back into my old pc and it works perfectly.

Dont know what to do now!

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 06:37            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, for shits and giggles (since I was never keen on the idea of moving a hard drive containing an installed OS from one PC to another) what happens if you disconnect it, and boot the system from your Windows CD? Does the system boot from that successfully?
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 07:39      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have sussefully moved hard drives with istalled OS's from one machine to anouther and had them work. But that doesn't mean they always can. You have to reinstall windows on the new machine. It doesn't seem to be a hrdware problem at this point if you can start booting windows. it is a software configuration problem in my humble opinion.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 07:55      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah i think its a software issue too. Going to dig out my xp disc and see what I can do

Will it overwrite my files already on it? They should be ok shouldn't they??

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 08:08            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean, will it overwrite the hard drive you disconnected? I dunno, depends if the laws of physics in Ireland work the same way they do elsewhere ;) Since I imagine you're at the centre of the Murphy Effect, maybe not.

If the Windows 2000 disc is anything to go by (and AFAIK the XP installer is identical), no, it won't touch the hard drive at all, until you specifically ask to have it partitioned/formatted/installed on. This is assuming you have a stock XP CD and not a vendor factory reset disc which could do goodness knows what. I'd hope they have an "are you sure?" prompt but I'd never guarantee it :)

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 08:11      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh yea, unless your disk is partitioned with the files on the other partition, XP will ask you to format the disk before you can install. You can create a new partion on this disk on a working computer and move all the files over to the new partition. I use partition magic 3. Maybe someone else can suggest software written in the last ten years to partition disks.

I have heard of one instance of a quick format being done to reinstall XP and then many old files being recoverable with special recovery software. But not all files as windows will think the disk is blank.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 08:18      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just getting my disc now so I'll keep my fingers crossed. There's nothing much on the drive just pictures etc I dont want to lose
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 10:43      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mikebyrne_________________Consider them gone. You don't have a second drive to use for testing and or files?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 10:56            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would you consider them gone? After all, I've just re-installed Win 2000 onto the same drive that my old Win 2000 install was on, and all my files were still on it. Aside from the pain of renaming/moving NTFS files from the outside (only BartPE can do that) the reinstall went very well. No files lost, no data corrupted ...

Simply booting a Windows install CD won't touch the hard drive unless you physically request to do something to the hard drive.

That said, I would disconnect the drive before running tests, to be sure that the machine first boots OK without it. Then try with it. Elimination. I guess it makes no odds and leaving it connected saves messing with jumpers, unless you're all on cable select now.

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 11:14      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
Why would you consider them gone? After all, I've just re-installed Win 2000 onto the same drive that my old Win 2000 install was on, and all my files were still on it. Aside from the pain of renaming/moving NTFS files from the outside (only BartPE can do that) the reinstall went very well. No files lost, no data corrupted ...

Simply booting a Windows install CD won't touch the hard drive unless you physically request to do something to the hard drive.

That said, I would disconnect the drive before running tests, to be sure that the machine first boots OK without it. Then try with it. Elimination. I guess it makes no odds and leaving it connected saves messing with jumpers, unless you're all on cable select now.

Are we all on the same page? I thought he had one HD for this machine with XP installed on it plus files he wants. He installed XP while this HD was in a different machine and now he put it in his new machine and XP will not boot. Does he have two HD's in this machine??

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 11:26            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was referring to booting from the XP CD. The idea was to be sure that the machine will boot from a volume: i.e. is the hard drive somehow the problem (especially the copy of Windows on it), or will the PC not boot any volume, including a CD?
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 16:13      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann___________________Slight threadjack here. Could you point me in the right direction to do this? I want to share my Ubuntu Box connection with the wifes Compax. Now I know that it is possible to do from the windoz box. I do not want it to be the first in line. I would rather have Ubuntu 6.06 the dialup box. Don't tell me how just point me in the right direction.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 18:20            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't follow what you want to do. Boot from the Windows install CD? Re-install Windows on the drive it's already on?

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture