homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » HD Compatible with Mac Pro?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HD Compatible with Mac Pro?
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2007 11:12      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay.. so I am down to about 83GB left on my HD. Been shopping around to see what I might have to pay for a 500GB HD. I found this one at a pretty reasonable price.

But will it fit/work on the Mac Pro? I'm not 100% even after checking the specs. I just need some confirmation that this will go in and work.

Thanks!

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2007 11:21      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It'll fit. Mac Pros come with four HD bays complete with mounting screws - only one is usually in use. Simply open the case, and leave the latch in the open position, and the HD tray pulls right out.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2007 11:23      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It will work.

But I still say Seagate is a better choice. Longer warranty and very good quality. And if you hunt around, you can find some great deals. And from what I have seen the SATA300 can be stepped down to work at SATA150, if you have to. But I have not had that problem on the Mac Pro here at my morning job.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2007 11:27      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the feedback guys! Keep in mind that the site is in CAD$! ;-) I'll prob hunt around a little bit more before I buy. [Smile]
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2007 23:40            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seagate are still good after acquiring Maxtor?
IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2007 09:18      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not 100% uilleann. But at the moment with a 5 year warranty, I would rather trust my data to them. And since I have yet to get burned by using a Seagate drive, I will just hope that the merger will make Maxtors better, rather than bringing Seagate down.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2007 10:49            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally like Seagate, I don't recall hearing one single bad thing said about Seagate ever in the last 11-12 years (when I replaced my 486's 256 MB drive with a 1.25 GB Seagate Medalist). My only complaint is that the last two I bought aren't unearthly quiet like the one in my old Mac, and I don't know which I'd choose if I wanted a reliable brand and so quiet that I can't hear it when trying to sleep!
IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2007 11:13      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, so if I cannot find a Seagate HD that's 500GB and SATA-II, is this WD HD good/reliable enough?
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2007 11:23      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I highly recommend Western Digital. They're one of the few HD makers that I trust these days. I also think a Seagate Barracuda should be fine, as that's probably the real deal, not a rebranded Maxtor. Also, maswan reminded me about Hitachi the other day, as they are also a pretty decent HD manufacturer. (They took over IBM's excellent HD unit, BTW.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2007 12:11      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Also, maswan reminded me about Hitachi the other day, as they are also a pretty decent HD manufacturer. (They took over IBM's excellent HD unit, BTW.)

They took it over just at the point where IBM had developed the famous Deskstar, mostly known to techs as the Deathstar, hard drive that had something like a 10%+ failure rate. They've not regained my trust since.

I can vouch for Seagate as well, and I've got a couple of older Western Digital drives that appear to be surviving well.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture