homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Firefox Settings

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Firefox Settings
catgoddess
Geek
Member # 6838

Icon 5 posted January 09, 2007 09:37      Profile for catgoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been having problems with Firefox ever since I installed the "improved performance" add-on (that I have since removed and can't remember the exact name). It altered my settings to load sites more quickly, but it didn't really work out that way.

Now, even after uninstalling the add-on, there are four (4) settings that will not restore to default settings. I have to manually change them every time I open Firefox (which is a huge PITA) because the changes do NOT save once I close Firefox. I am not a computer geek by any means (I'm a geek by another name), so if you can help, please use little words I can understand.

Below is a screen shot of the settings in question every time I open Firefox (all four settings are in bold):

-

Below is a screen shot of what I have to change the settings to (every new session) for known maximum performance:

-

I have uninstalled all themes and add-ons and uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox with no changes. I'm also using the newest version of Firefox, but the problem still persists.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. [crazy]

--------------------
"I love humanity but I hate people." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Posts: 102 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2007 09:44      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are using Windows. Uninstall FF and then make sure that the folder has been deleted from Program Files and your personal directory.

I have a feeling that it you still have remnants of the old program in your personal directory.

Unfortunately I am not at a Windows box right now and I don't remember the path off the top of my head.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2007 09:52      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
If you are using Windows. Uninstall FF and then make sure that the folder has been deleted from Program Files and your personal directory.

I have a feeling that it you still have remnants of the old program in your personal directory.

Unfortunately I am not at a Windows box right now and I don't remember the path off the top of my head.

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

Keep in mind that you might want to back up that profile...as you may want to retain things like bookmarks or other such settings.

If this wasn't getting between me and coffee, I might have more suggestions. [Wink]
/me runs out the door...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2007 10:55            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good grief. Whoever wrote that page was a bit clueless. He neglects to explain that the Application Data folder is hidden in Windows (Start > Run will work but you won't be able to navigate back to it) or how one comes to be in the Firefox folder on the Macintosh and able to type commands. Anyone who understands the level of that page does not need to have %appdata% spelt out to them.

I have uninstalled all themes and add-ons and uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox with no changes.

Firefox keeps your settings separate from the program itself. Uninstalling Firefox has no effect on where your "profile" -- your Firefox settings folder -- lives. This is intentional.

I'm also using the newest version of Firefox, but the problem still persists.

Worse, Firefox has some rather nasty design flaws. A Firefox extension can be installed and running without being visible in the Add-Ons window, or, at least, it used to be possible and I somehow doubt that's changed.

It sounds like something is still latched onto Firefox somewhere and restoring those settings. You may find that rebuilding your profile may be the only way out.

Quit Firefox and uninstall it. Open Windows Explorer and browse to C:\Program Files\. Look for a folder called "Mozilla Firefox" or "Mozilla\Firefox" and throw this folder away. Reinstall Firefox. If it works now, the problem was a remnant in the Firefox program folder itself. It's not likely this will help, but it's a good precaution if you installed a badly broken extension as they are able to install themselves globally.

If Firefox is still broken, you'll need to build a new profile -- a new set of settings -- and migrate your old settings across from your existing profile (but not the extensions). As the article explains, do Start > Run, type in %appdata% and press enter. Your "Application Data" folder should appear: this is one place where program settings are kept and where Firefox's per-user settings live. Open the Mozilla Folder, then the Firefox Folder and finally the Profiles folder. A folder of a name like "btmqx6ap.default" should be present. Rename this to something like "Old copy of btmqx6ap.default". This badly named folder is your "profile" folder: all your Firefox settings live in here, along with your installed extensions.

Restart Firefox, and verify that the settings are now all reverted. The whole of Firefox should be reverted to its defaults too, and a new profile folder will have been created. "btmqx6ap.default" is my real profile folder, let's assume the new one is "qwert9yp.default".

Anything you want to preserve from your old profile has be copied over from the old folder (now "btmqx6ap.old") into the new one, with Firefox not running. Examples are bookmarks.html (your bookmarks), history.dat (your history) etc. A more comprehensive but IIRC not quite complete list is here:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrating_settings_to_a_new_profile

Note that you have Firefox, not the Mozilla Suite.

The hard part is prefs.js, your preferences file (note that prefs.js does not cover your window size and positions, toolbar layouts etc). You have to be a bit careful with keeping this file, and it is best that you don't copy it across, and start all your settings from scratch. Ask if there is any setting you've lost that you want back.

Whatever you do, don't copy over anything to do with extensions!!

IP: Logged
catgoddess
Geek
Member # 6838

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2007 17:58      Profile for catgoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that I've recovered from my head exploding...

I would like to say THANK YOU! to all for the assistance and a special Thanks! to uilleann for being so concise (exactly what I need!). Your instructions make sense and I should have little difficulty after you help me over this last hurdle...

I have two profile folders.

The first one is like the example you provided:
btmqx6ap.default

The second one is like this:
kvact9yz.Jennifer

Jennifer is my actual name (now I must kill you) so I'm sure I must have told Firefox that at some point, but I neither know when nor why. I'm sure you do and will be able to further assist me. [Big Grin]

I have not proceeded in renaming any of the profile extensions because I'm not sure if having two is causing the problem and/or if I need to do something special with one or both of them.

I appreciate all the assistance and look forward to not having to reconfigure this blasted thing every time I start a new session.

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2007 18:17            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You do realise your forum profile already gives away your name? [Wink]

Right, according to this Firefox rants page, problems in Firefox can cause the Profile Manager dialog to appear, prompting the user to create a new profile, and this is where you would have entered your own name. The first eight characters of nonsense are there for security reasons apparently.

I am not sure, therefore, which profile is in use: the original one that Firefox created first, or the one it made you create. Having two should not be causing problems in itself, but which profile is active?

Quit Firefox, and then do Start > Run > firefox -ProfileManager -- see if it tells you which one was last used/is presently in use. If not, try selecting each one in turn and starting Firefox to see which one has your history, bookmarks etc in. The other one, I guess you can delete unless you want to recover anything from it, but do this by moving its folder to the desktop with Firefox quit, just in case. You can move the current one there too to disable it, instead of renaming it -- less typing and works just as well!

catgoddess
Geek
Member # 6838

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2007 19:12      Profile for catgoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I changed all the extensions files in the Jennifer folder to the same ones in the default folder and I also changed the Jennifer folder prefs.js file to the one in the default folder.

I am now up and running without having to manually adjust anything! It was definitely something in the prefs.js file.

Thank you so much for your help!

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2007 19:21      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*hands catgoddess a bucket full of water*

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
catgoddess
Geek
Member # 6838

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2007 19:41      Profile for catgoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been here but a day and you already want me to bathe you?

Isn't there a grace period for that sort of thing? Kind of like meeting ones dysfunctional family and clipping ones toenails on the coffee table...

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2007 19:44      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not at all. It's my understanding that they believe the smell was coming from New Jersey anyway, but that's beside the point. [Smile]

The bucket is just... umm... would you believe me if I said it was a welcoming gift?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2007 19:50            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Gives Steen the oddest look ever*

I am confused about Firefox though. Settings that show up in bold in about:config do come from prefs.js, but something was undermining your attempts to alter prefs.js. This seems very odd -- was the file somehow read-only or owning bad security settings?

I'd not recommend what you did, as you could have made a worse mess of your profile that will trip you up later. Firefox is too peculiar to want to meddle with like that, too many weird files with incomprehensible content to want to risk swapping them all over. Much safer to bin them all and only keep the ones that matter, such as signons, bookmarks etc.

Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2007 19:54      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tries to think of something to sacrifice to the catgoddess.

Glad to know your Firefox is now working. [Applause]

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2007 20:01            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could always sacrifice Steen ...
catgoddess
Geek
Member # 6838

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2007 20:07      Profile for catgoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I make everything better... always through unconventional means and always by taking something that someone else says and doing it my way. But it is better nonetheless.

I've blown up a computer by doing that.
I'm sure this is not surprising...

But from those ashes came a new, better machine!
It brings a tear to my eye...

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2007 20:22            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll just wait for you to come running with tales of woe about other bits of Firefox now out of control :) Angels fear to tread amidst Firefox's tangled profile system.
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2007 20:22      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Windows computer blew up in June, catgoddess. I wish you had been around to make it better. I got a new computer but all the data on my old computer was lost except that which I backed up to CD. (This confession violates my geek principle, which is to always backup everything.)

Your computer is like the phoenix...rising from the ashes!

Windows: Though I tread in the valley of Redmond, I fear no evil.

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
catgoddess
Geek
Member # 6838

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2007 22:56      Profile for catgoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
I'll just wait for you to come running with tales of woe about other bits of Firefox now out of control [Smile] Angels fear to tread amidst Firefox's tangled profile system.

I'm glad you'll be waiting to take care of me... my hero.

I break lots of things... it's part of the creative process you know. [Wink]

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2007 22:59            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I break everything
catgoddess
Geek
Member # 6838

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2007 23:03      Profile for catgoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may have another non-Firefox question soon, but I have to ensure it's broken enough before I present it to the class.

And Tom... there is nothing more glorious than a computer rising from the ashes to reclaim its rightful place to be worshiped.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture