homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » rechargeable batteries

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: rechargeable batteries
pete_gc
Newbie Larva
Member # 6797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2007 09:44      Profile for pete_gc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have a panasonic batter charger (hi-mh) and i got some sanyo batteries. you always read that you should use the same brand of battery with charger, but i asked a friend of mine and said its only marketing (which i was thinking before). does anyone know what brand of batteries will work with what brand of charger?
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2007 10:27      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That depend largely on the charger.

As long as the charger is made for the type of rechargeable battery (Ni-Cd, Ni-Mh, Li-Ion, Pb...) and can supply the appropriate ammount of voltage for the battery cells it'll be finde.

I.e - a battery charger that is made for 7,2V Ni-Cd battery packs can charge ANY 7,2V ni-Cd battery pack. Just make sure that you charge it appropriately to the capacity. If a 2000mAh battery pack took 2 hours to get full, a 3000mAh pack will need 3 hours....
You get the idea.

I'd be surprised though if you can use the charger for different batteries - most connectors won't match anyways!
If we're talking about the AA or AAA kind of rechargeable batteries that you put into your vibrator (or whatever, I don't wanna know), as long as the charger is made for ni-mh or Ni-Cd type AA or AAA or whatever size battery it'll be FINE.
You shouldn't charge mixed types in one batch though, like - don't charge 3 ni-cd and one ni-mh.
Also, try to match capacity when charging..

Anyways, hope that helps. Just don't come and beat me if you end up with an exploded battery or charger [Wink]

Thomas

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2007 10:28      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is not by brand it is by type. If you buy NiMH (nicle metal hydride) batteries, of the same chemical composition and voltage, the should work in your charger. Make sure your charger is a "smart charger" if your have "fast" charging NiMH battereis.

THere is some caution to be taken though. The company producing the batteries probably did not take the time to test all thier competitors batteries in thier charger. If you are buying cheap off brand batteries to replace name brand battereis there is a greater chance of your battereis leaking or even fire, though the probablility is low.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2007 10:31      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't look for brands, look for specifications. They should tell you the current and voltage required for the batteries (and produced by the charger). It may not be easily found (especially for the batteries), and you may have to look on their site, if it's not in the very small types on the packaging.

The higher the current, the faster they will charge, but the more heat it will produce, so if you're over the admissible level, your battery may catch fire. But if numbers from the charger match those of the battery, go ahead and worry no more - but watch the tolerance on those values, as low quality chargers will have higher output margin, and even though the main numbers matche, a spike may still damage the battery.

Edit: we were many to compose our answer at the same time. And I had forgotten about the battery type... [Embarrassed]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
pete_gc
Newbie Larva
Member # 6797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2007 10:41      Profile for pete_gc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ya i'd never mix different types of batteries with the charger im not that stupid [Wink] they're AA & AAA, both 1.2v, different strengths but that ok [Smile] the only thing i see different is the model, my originals say HHR-3EPA and the new ones say HR-3U. as well as AA (R6) vs AA HR6. have no clue what that junk means [Frown]

btw, thanks for the quick replies [Smile]

stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2007 12:08      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blazin ____ just remember that with rechargeable batteries that if u haven't charged them for awhile and u suddenly want to use them it will take a couple of charges (ie. let the battery run in the device till empty and then charge again) before it reaches its full capacity again. I've known a couple of people who have just trown away a couple good rechareble batteries because they forgot about having to charge it a couple of times after long period of not using it.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
pete_gc
Newbie Larva
Member # 6797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2007 12:36      Profile for pete_gc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you geeks rock [Smile] this will be my new "when im stupid and cant figure something out and i dont know where else to turn" forum [Big Grin]
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2007 00:55      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom- geeking around:
If we're talking about the AA or AAA kind of rechargeable batteries that you put into your vibrator (or whatever, I don't wanna know), as long as the charger is made for ni-mh or Ni-Cd type AA or AAA or whatever size battery it'll be FINE.
You shouldn't charge mixed types in one batch though, like - don't charge 3 ni-cd and one ni-mh.
Also, try to match capacity when charging..

Actually, at least three adult stores I've been in have told me that you should only use standard non rechargeable batteries in vibrators, preferably the cheap $2 store variety. Apparently using rechargeables blows the motor in them. Rechargeables are slightly different voltage-wise to the equivalent non rechargeable so this could well be correct.

As for the original question, my understanding is that it depends on the charger. If a charger does Ni-Cad or NiMh only, don't put the other sort in. If it does both there's usually a switch to toggle between them. Also, NiMh have no memory effect (so doesn't matter when during the discharge cycle you recharge them), but NiCad do (so drain them fully before recharging). However, NiMh will lose charge over time if not used straight away. Finally, overcharging is bad. You may have to manually turn the charger off after a time if it's not a "smart" one.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture