homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » cc versus pc in letterwriting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: cc versus pc in letterwriting
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 09:40      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An attorney and I were having a discussion about the senior partner's use of "pc:" when putting additional parties on at the end of a letter. The rest of us use "cc:" like normal, sane human beings [crazy] (standing for, in the olden days, carbon copy, or nowadays, courtesy copy). We are sure that there is some explanation for why "pc:" is being used, but the attorney and his secretary are both gone this week (separately [Eek!] ) so we cannot ask for an explanation.

I thought maybe "pc:" stood for photocopy, but that is usually abbreviated "ph", and others use xc: for Xerox copy.

Has anyone ever seen this before? Is there an actual usage and explanation for it, or is this something that the senior partner has created on his own to confuse everyone? [Confused]

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 10:21      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey BW,

This is what I found: http://www.englishforums.com/English/ProperCarbonCourtesyCopy/cdcqr/Post.htm

It seems that you were correct in assuming it stands for photo copy. [Smile]

Posts: 490 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2006 09:52      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never seen the term 'pc:', even in the days when they actually *copied* letters rather than just printing them twice. To figure out what is correct, we should look at the history of the "copy" in the context of a business letter. Carbon paper was used for copies during much of the 20th century, hence the abbreviation "CC" for carbon copy. It would be interesting to know that they used before that invention.

Sometime during the late 60's to early 70's, cheap xerography completely replaced carbon copies, but the "CC" usage was entrenched by that point. It morphed meaning from "carbon copy" to just "copy". In the same way, when email became the dominant business correspondence, it continued to use "CC" for just copy.

So, from the recipient's point of view, the "CC" just means they were designated to get a copy - technology is irrelevent to them.

I *might* believe that a lawyer sending the letter would care about the technology. Perhaps there is some legal distinction between making a copy of a document and doing a second original printing. If so, then I expect it would be codified somewhere. If not, then the lawyer is just being an idiot.

Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2006 11:31      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PC load letter? What the fuck does that mean?

-

/drift

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2006 11:37      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2006 11:38      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
PC load letter? What the fuck does that mean?

-

/drift

Do you KNOW how many times that came up when I tried to google an answer for this issue?
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture