homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » 12v 8 pinn slot on motherboard

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 12v 8 pinn slot on motherboard
Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 03:48      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've an Asus P5N32-SLI Delux motherboard and was just wondering what the 8pin ATX 12v is for and does it need to be connected to the psu aswell as the 24pin atx???
Posts: 127 | From: Ireland | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 05:34      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mikebyrne__________________I am guessing at this point, but no. The 24 pin controls the power on/off relay and supplies all of the power the logic board needs. That extra jack may be for expansion or some super vidio card. If you plug the power supply into that jack and one pair of connectors is in a different config. the power supply should load down and fail to start or burn some of the traces off of the logic board. Do you have Documantation on this board and does it mention this jack. Just don't try to use it unless you know for sure what it is for.

Okay Mike I went to the Azus website, it appears that your board is capable of useing two different power supplies. 24 pin ATX or 8 pin EATX I would bet that it not supposed to use both at on time. when you bought the board did the seller advise that you needed two supplies?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 06:13      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I'm just using the 24pinn but like you I'm not sure of the purpose of the 8pin Atx and cant find an answer

My psu has the connector for this but not sure if I should use it

Posts: 127 | From: Ireland | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 09:00      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mikebyrne________________From what I read at Azus I believe that you can use either PSU type. However because there is the question about the extra pigtail and plug, I would E-mail support at Azus for a definative answer.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2007 13:56      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 8 pin is an additional powersource and may be nessicary with certain CPUs... It also functions as a backup power source. (similar to the old P4 connector)

The other thing (I found in connection to you specific mobo) is to look at the Asus Site
quote:
8 Phase Power Design
This is the ultimate power design with performance as its principle purpose. The 8-phase power builds a more steady power supply environment for the CPU and generates less heat than the conventional power design. Moreover, with this strong power pump, P5N32-SLI Deluxe can perform with better overclocking ability.

I hope that helps.

--------------------
The one and only "§†eal†h the Fallen One"...Between Your life And mine are Three realities, Yours, The real one, and Mine. They they form a bridge shapped in the letters D-O-_-N-O-T-_-C-R-O-S-S.

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture