homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Windows Help and Support Center Will NOT STOP Opening and Loading. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Windows Help and Support Center Will NOT STOP Opening and Loading.
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2006 17:22      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________________Some people have to learn the expensive way.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2006 11:29      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having used M$ products for 16years (longer than I have been able to read) There is probably not a problem with the keyboard it self. As was stated the auto-repeat is disabled if another key is pressed, but that function is not controlled by the keyboard it is in the driver (kbdclass.sys for instance) and as such can be controlled inside windows (delay adjustment, etc.) the driver itself may be corrupt as last time this happened to me I reinstalled windows and it worked fine... also the second point of failure is the Keyboard controller (more commonly that then the keyboard as it is usually a symptom of a bigger failure) as that is now days integrated into another feature... if booting off of a live CD has the same issue as windows does then look for your warentee info... You Need It.

--------------------
The one and only "§†eal†h the Fallen One"...Between Your life And mine are Three realities, Yours, The real one, and Mine. They they form a bridge shapped in the letters D-O-_-N-O-T-_-C-R-O-S-S.

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
lambinate
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 7211

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted February 13, 2007 15:04      Profile for lambinate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pursuing this issue to ends of earth to reclaim my 12 year old daughter's laptop from overly helpful help screens. A retired DBA who gets flecks of foam at mouth edges when Issue of W or Gates (not the SOD of W) enters courtyard, I cannot imagine that W or Gates penetrated to the point in this forum thread to mask the final resolution in the hopes of gathering mas mullah ($). Can anybody let this geek manque know whether there is or is not a resolution to TetrisRock's problem? Re-installing XP would seem like capitulating to MS and trashing the laptop would cause my daugher's (whose name is not Checkers) fluttering lashes to dew over. --Much Appreciating

--------------------
Baudolino said PresterJohn said to use HOTmail as StrawDaddy

Posts: 1 | From: Phoenix | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2007 15:07      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a relatively quick fix for that.

Debian

Or you could just boot with an XP disk and repair the install. It might fix it.

I would go with the Debian personally.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
r3d
Newbie Larva
Member # 24659

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2008 15:25      Profile for r3d     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am having the same issue with the f1 key on a gateway laptop.
i popped off the key cap. its still acts like its stuck.
i reinstalled windows. still stuck.
i disabled help in windows, but help still opens for firefox and everything else.

i cant tell you if its a keyboard, taking laptops apart is a pain, and its not mine. im not going to replace it.

is it possible to just disable the key altogether?

Posts: 5 | From: detroit | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2008 17:21      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plug in a USB keyboard and disable the native one.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
r3d
Newbie Larva
Member # 24659

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2008 18:32      Profile for r3d     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

1. where do i disable the keyboard? device manager?
2. id rather disable the F1 key if thats possible

i forgot to mention its running win xp

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2008 22:04      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by r3d:
quote:

1. where do i disable the keyboard? device manager?
2. id rather disable the F1 key if thats possible

i forgot to mention its running win xp

Probably can only do that in the BIOS.

Or...maybe...look for a keyboard setting in Windows, shades of the mouse one folks were discussing here earlier:
"Disable [keyboard] when external is connected" (don't know if such a setting exists)

Your keyboard is likely shorted out, and the F1 key is permanently stuck - that's really not good. You should replace this keyboard.

Still, if you're really after it, you might be able to remap the F1 key [to nothing] using a tool like KeyTweak:
http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
r3d
Newbie Larva
Member # 24659

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2008 22:12      Profile for r3d     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

dude, thats awesome! i bookmarked it for future reference, however i found out how to do it in the registry...
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,00,00,3b,00,00,00,00,00

seems to be doing the trick so far.

thanks for the help!

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2008 19:07      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by r3d:
quote:

dude, thats awesome! i bookmarked it for future reference, however i found out how to do it in the registry...
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,00,00,3b,00,00,00,00,00

seems to be doing the trick so far.

thanks for the help!

That's *exactly* why I recommended KeyTweak -- making changes like that in the Registry is *DANGEROUS* and even if you have no qualms about doing it....what are the odds you'll remember what you did 6 months from now?

--------------------

r3d
Newbie Larva
Member # 24659

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2008 13:48      Profile for r3d     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh i wont remember that. if i end up with problems again ill format it and reinstall.

that registry entry didnt actually help. i left the computer on and after about 12-14 hours, it happened again.
i used the key tweak program last night, and have had the thing on all day, it seems ok again, but the problem could come back at any time.

the clock was wrong on it twice now, so im thinking the motherboard is about done.
i guess thats what my brother gets for buying a computer off of craigslist!

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2008 16:37      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_____________________ r3d __ TheMoMan here, I have seen many comps dumped or thrown out for nothing worse than a bad clock battery, the Battery holds the settings that have been changed from default in the Firmware (BIOs). Before spending too much more on this machine try replacing the clock battery, they are not very expensive and some times cure a whole host of problems, I suspect any battery in any machine over three years old.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
r3d
Newbie Larva
Member # 24659

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2008 13:49      Profile for r3d     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks.

im going to see what my brother wants to do with this thing before i go any farther with it.

the f1 button hasnt done a thing since i used the key mapper, but who knows, it could screw up any time.

gmonly
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 32848

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2010 17:18      Profile for gmonly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i hate to burst the buble of the key/keyboard for this problem. i have the same problem, my nephew and a few other friends have this problem. i have changed my keyboard, repaired windows, even installed win xp pro on another partition. xp pro worked fine for about a week. i have never used the f1 key. that key does work to (i checked to see if it was stuck, it was not stuck). i have also tried an external keyboard, same problem. i have tried the repair concel to, still the same problem.

i have formated my nephews computer then reinstalled win xp, it works great now for about 3 weeks so far. i have not changed his keyboard.

i think this is some kind of virus or worm (trogan), seems odd to hit 4 computers about the same time.

i would hate to format my hard drive, my cd rom has stopped working now, i still have the help pop up problem, i also have a lot of files and pictures on my hard drive that i do not want to loose. i do not have any way to back them up right now either.

now a month after this started, i am getting pop ups from ever app running, the computer needs to be started at the last known good settings, to even run.

i have been running all kinds of anti virus, spyware, addware and trogan removers, nothing has found a problem.

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2010 00:38      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gmonly:
i hate to burst the buble of the key/keyboard for this problem. i have the same problem, my nephew and a few other friends have this problem. i have changed my keyboard, repaired windows, even installed win xp pro on another partition. xp pro worked fine for about a week. i have never used the f1 key. that key does work to (i checked to see if it was stuck, it was not stuck). i have also tried an external keyboard, same problem. i have tried the repair concel to, still the same problem.

i have formated my nephews computer then reinstalled win xp, it works great now for about 3 weeks so far. i have not changed his keyboard.

i think this is some kind of virus or worm (trogan), seems odd to hit 4 computers about the same time.

i would hate to format my hard drive, my cd rom has stopped working now, i still have the help pop up problem, i also have a lot of files and pictures on my hard drive that i do not want to loose. i do not have any way to back them up right now either.

now a month after this started, i am getting pop ups from ever app running, the computer needs to be started at the last known good settings, to even run.

i have been running all kinds of anti virus, spyware, addware and trogan removers, nothing has found a problem.

FYI

This thread started in 2006, perhaps a refresher of what problem might be is in order. Most people are too lazy to read an entire four year old thread just to figure out the problem you want help with.

Welcome and Kind Regards

-Ash

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2010 10:13      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ash, I could be wrong, but I believe this is simply the third person to ask about this problem, not someone asking for help 4 years later.

Since the problem is the Help center repeatedly opening, I don't think the entire thread needs re-reading...but Windows just needs to be reloaded.

It probably also wouldn't hurt to run um...ComboFix.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture