homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Windows Help and Support Center Will NOT STOP Opening and Loading. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Windows Help and Support Center Will NOT STOP Opening and Loading.
TetrisRock
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2006 09:49      Profile for TetrisRock   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As soon as my laptop is on and has booted up it starts opening the extremely lame and completely unhelpful Windows Help and Support Center.

It opens up to 100 Help and Support Center windows which you can close off but they still continue to load.

This problem is slowing down my laptop a hell of a lot, Actually to the extent that you can't do anything on it.

There has been a problem with Help for about a week or so but it's not been as bad as this. At first it was just being triggered off by certain keys on the keyboard as I was typing on something like Word, Windows Live Messenger or perhaps even a messageboard such as this one.

Mozilla help also opened in a similar way when I was typing on messageboards on Firefox so it's not limited to Microsoft stuff.

Can anyone help me get rid of this problem? Please?! Even if just to completely get rid of shitty Windows Help.

Thank you for reading and i'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Posts: 15 | From: Scotland | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2006 10:11      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TetrisRock____________________I am not good at windows But I do belive that you may have some form of file corruption. See if you can get your hands on a linux live CD put it in and see if every thing works if so then install that and your winblows problems go away. Now if getting rid of winblows does not appeal then you may have to enlist a fellow geek to help with your Hard drive. There are many about but most will not work for free.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2006 12:06            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Certain keys were triggering it? You sure it's not simply a broken keyboard, and now the keyboard is stuck sending what I guess is the F1 key? I am guessing either F1 is jammed or the keyboard is spuriously transmissing F1 keystrokes. (The standard key for help in Windows)

With a laptop, you're a bit stuck as you can't do what I did when I broke my keyboard -- just swap out the bad keyboard for a good one.

I have a feeling F1 is not jammed, because auto-repeat is cancelled once you press another key, although the circuitry might be broken.

If you can't fix the keyboard, you could find the path on disc to the Help Center program and rename it so that Windows can't find it :P

But looks to me like a new keyboard might be in order ...

IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2006 14:21      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if uilleann is corect and the f1 key is stuck then try using a simple keyboard from a pc instead of the laptop keyboard and see if the problem is fixed.

Secondly i would make sure to back everything up to a secured device such as a second hard drive. Because stuff like the help screen popping up usually isn't a sign that everything is fine. You might think that it won't damage your files but be warned i've seen many computers just fail even though the only warning sign was something like a window popping up.

Next you say the problem started a week ago. That means that most likely whatever you did a week ago triggered it. So think about what u downloaded or did in the past couple of weeks and see if your laprop has a restore point before that date.

Next if that doesn't fix it I would advice you to run some good antispyware , adware, virus, etc scanners to see if you've contracted a nasty bug. Usually a tell tale sign that you have something foreign is your pc suddenly becomes really annoying.

Lastly if u can't fix the problem and you've backed everything up then just reinstall windows. What do u have to lose? you have everything backed up incase something does go wrong. Plus this way you start on a fresh slate. A little bit of advice though is to only back up the stuff you need and not your whole hard drive since w/e your computer might have contracted you might have just transferred over to your second hard drive because you backed EVERYTHING up.

And yes this way the right place to post this.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2006 17:24      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if the only issue you have is that, then yeah, it's likely the kb is borked

power down, remove the battery, remove the onboard keyboard, put the battery back in, plug in a usb keyboard, and power up

if it goes away, it's the kb
if it's still there, check for spyware/malware/virus/trojan

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TetrisRock
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2006 19:19      Profile for TetrisRock   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I thought i'd give an update. It has nothing to do with the keyboard.

I have disabled Windows Help but am now getting hundreds of error messages coming up.

And a little notice in the corner:
"The file or directory
\WINDOWS\Prefetch\HELPCTR.EXE-0BD5B31B.pf is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility."

So I tried running the Chkdsk utility and it said it found no problems.

Does anyone know how to get rid of .pf files?

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2006 19:26            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how you disabled Windows Help but I don't think Windows appreciated whatever you did to it!

You might want to try fixing ya keyboard though 8)

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2006 19:40      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TetrisRock wrote:

You just browse into the folder using Windows explorer and delete the file. There's nothing really special about prefetch files.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TetrisRock
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2006 20:12      Profile for TetrisRock   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, well.

I deleted the prefetch file that was apparantely corrupt and what I thought was causing the problem, but the error message is still coming up and I still have my problem!

Boo.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2006 20:45      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is *highly* likely that your F1 key is stuck. I'm sorry if you don't want to believe that, but I find it very hard to believe that something else is emulating that effect so perfectly.

Run a keyboard diagnostic from your system disk. On Dell systems, press F12 during boot and pick the diagnostic option.

(And if you still think it's something else, try going into Safe Mode. If help dialogs key appearing, please re-evaluate your opinion of the problem.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 05:51      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TetrisRock:
Well, I thought i'd give an update. It has nothing to do with the keyboard.

I have disabled Windows Help but am now getting hundreds of error messages coming up.

And a little notice in the corner:
"The file or directory
\WINDOWS\Prefetch\HELPCTR.EXE-0BD5B31B.pf is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility."

So I tried running the Chkdsk utility and it said it found no problems.

99.99/100 you have spyware or virus or something

get ahold of
adaware
spybot search & destroy
hijackthis
avg free ed.

install, run, clean

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 07:31      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ct _____ thanks for summing up my whole take on the matter.

Tetrisrock ____ just try all the advice we've given you even if it dosn't sound logical, because trust us we have some idea what were talking about. If none of our advice is working then post a reply telling us step by step what you've done to fix the problem and what you've used the computer in the last week for.

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 14:07            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Virus? I was half-serious about disabled Windows Help by renaming it, so she/he does something bad to Windows Help, breaks the Windows prefetch cache for that one process and you claim it's a virus?

Huh? The F1 key is jammed or the keyboard controller or circuitry is generating bad signals.

Try to unjam F1. Remove the keycap and look inside the key. Most keys now have a rubber cup with a carbon pad on that acts as the spring and keyswitch: you may have broken this and it's making improper, intermittent contact. Removing it will leave you with a dead F1 key but no trouble. You could also swap the cup out with one from a key you don't use (but don't put the bad cup into that key!)

If you have a proper enclosed keyswitch, which is quite possible, there will be no easy way to fix that. You'll have to disable or physically remove the keyboard and plug in an external one and see if that fixes it. If it does, you need a replacement keyboard for the laptop!

-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 14:27      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
Virus? I was half-serious about disabled Windows Help by renaming it, so she/he does something bad to Windows Help, breaks the Windows prefetch cache for that one process and you claim it's a virus?

Huh? The F1 key is jammed or the keyboard controller or circuitry is generating bad signals.
...You'll have to disable or physically remove the keyboard and plug in an external one and see if that fixes it. If it does, you need a replacement keyboard for the laptop!

we're assuming he's already removed the keyboard and replaced it with an external one - though he hasn't confirmed or denied this as yet

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 15:44            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we're assuming he's already removed the keyboard and replaced it with an external one...

I'm not :)

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 15:56      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
we're assuming he's already removed the keyboard and replaced it with an external one...

I'm not [Smile]

Neither am I.

I don't know why someone wrote that it's 99.9% likely a virus. It's much more likely (but not to such precision) likely that it's a stuck F1 key. Even if the key doesn't /appear/ to be stuck, it could be an internal short, or something got lodged under the key. I'd recommend against prying up the key, as laptop keys are nearly impossible to put back together. Unplug it, and reboot. An external kbd would be nice, but not mandatory (most computers respect the power button - or a mouse!).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 16:46      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann & dragonman97 _________________Just for sh*ts and giggles I tried the F1 key on my Ubuntu LTS box guess what help comes up. So that puts me in the stuck key camp. Hey whats the key for getting into BIOS during boot and shouldn't it show up there. Now after typing that I don't know would not the stuck key stall boot?

OKAY after running a little test on my wifes laptop holding down F1 during boot, the annoying din was horrible, on this old cow box(gateway) during BIOS checks a keyboard error message appeared.

Just my $.02

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 17:16            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no standard key to invoke the BIOS ... F2 is one, insert (?) is another. On my 486 I could invoke it with ctrl-alt-S (I think) at any time. With PCs that display a cutesy wuvvly dovey BIOS-level splash screen, it can be a real pain, verging on outright impossible, to make that damn splash screen vamoose in order to read off the key used for entering the BIOS. My dad's Intel D845BG board PC is worse -- I forget exactly why, but it refuses to tell you the key to press unless a jumper is set on the board. Set the jumper and you can only use the BIOS, you can't boot the OS. I think it was set not to even allow access to the BIOS without the jumper set, but now at least I have the key written down on paper somewhere, as it refuses to show you at boot no matter what.

As for TetrisRock's laptop: I don't think it's a plain stuck key, since pressing any other key would switch off auto-repeat for the stuck. Seems to be intermittently generating signals.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 05:04      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann___________________You missed my point. Not one of the three PC's here will boot while the F1 key is pressed and held during startup. The Compaq laptop squalls like a banshe, The Gateway stops during boot and displays KEYBOARD ERROR, and the generic PC in the barn that I use a live knoppic CD on will not boot while having any key pressed.

I will admit that some OEM's make it hard to change BIOS settings, I think that they are paranoid that some one will change the settings get a failure of some kind and Dial-a-Help would not catch it and there might be a replacement of a good computer over a bungeled BIOS.

Just my $.02

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 08:06      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im like Mo, normally stuck keys wont let you boot. Or will send you somewhere into BIOS depending on the key. In windows, keys held are governed by a delay rate, so if its getting activated only once the computer is booted and in windows, then the delay rate would kick in.

Then again, I had an odd quirk with my fam's compy once, where IE would mass open about 100+ pages untill killed via task manager, but i think that was due to a bit of adware...

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 11:54            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheMoMan, you've repeatedly missed why I don't believe it's a stuck key either. And my PC boots with a stuck key held down and doesn't even beep AFAIK, you just get no keyboard when Windows starts and wonder why you can't type anything.

Let me say it once more: it sounds like either intermittent signalling (maybe the keyswitch is faulty) or the keyboard controller is hosed.

My old Dell keyboard routinely had keys that would fail to respond, and I'd have to take the key cap off, remove and clean the rubber cup carbon pad and the circuit tracks, and reassemble the key. The other day, at least C, R, ; and ' were all flaky and needed cleaning. Since C was affecting my ability to copy, I swapped the rubber cups of C and another key over, one that had a cup with a carbon pad in pristine condition (num pad / or some such).

Put all five keys back together and they all worked perfectly again. But now Q, W, E, T and left alt were all electrically dead: they were not dirty but could no longer be pressed. I haven't the faintest idea what I did but the keyboard circuitry or controller were now destroyed. I could only type in leet after that.

Keyboards are weird things -- it's not like I could have shorted out a key or anything, nor could I have rendered a key open circuit. What else did I do?

And let me say again: a stuck regular key does not behave as described. The next key pressed will cancel the autorepeat of the previous key and the controller will ignore it from now on until it goes open circuit. Stuck modifier keys however are far more annoying (and VNC sometimes gets them stuck) since they don't work on the principle of autorepeat.

stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2006 09:56      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since tetrisrock hasn't given us another update we can't be sure it is still the keyboard F1 key being stuck. Right now it could still be anything we have suggested. But from what I know i think the main thing which tetris rock should be figuring out is if it is the keyboard which is causign the problem or something else. You might tell him its the keyboards and he carelessly takes the whole keyboard apart and finds out its not the keyboard while in the process destroying half his keyboard keys.

If he can eliminate or confirm that its they keyboard then we can proceed with more helpful advice instead of pointing the figure at the poor F1 key.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

TetrisRock
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2006 12:39      Profile for TetrisRock   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually snapped the F1 key off in a fit of rage. It wasn't the problem.

I've already scanned for viruses, and if AdAware ever completes it's scanning then that'll be done too.

I've started backing up the stuff that I care about. Just incase re-installing Windows is the only solution.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2006 14:47      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TetrisRock_________________________Before you hose Winblows see if you can get your hands on a live CD Distro of Linux, if it boots and runs correctly then it is not hardware related.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2006 15:54            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL! You snapped the key off? You snapped off what, the keycap? The entire keyswitch? (Assuming it uses keyswitches)

Ripping off even the keyswitch won't solve a flaky keyboard controller, but I doubt that you'd be able to physically destroy the keyswitch that easily. Maybe you tore off the keycap and the spring mechanism, but not the keyswitch.

So it proves nothing. Supposing it wasn't the F1 key (not that anyone can really think of anything else that would lead to the same symptoms) you now have a broken keyboard :P

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture