homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Composing / Writing Music

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Composing / Writing Music
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2006 09:01      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's my dilemma: I started taking composition lessons in November. My instructor remarked that my music was very tonal and wanted me to work at adding some chromaticism to my compositions (not strict atonality, mind you; I can't stand listening to atonal music and certainly don't want to write it!)

Since then, I've been trying to think about notes outside of the scale I'm in as well as in when I write. However, now when it comes time to write a note, I freeze up. It's as if no note will express the sound that I'm looking for anymore. It's gotten to the point where I can't write more than a measure a day without throwing down the pencil in disgust.

Have any of the musically inclined here run into something like this? How have you dealt with it?

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2006 10:35      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was still doing the music bit I found that the best way to get over writer's block was to overindulge in wine and women. Song usually comes naturally.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2006 10:52      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you would like, I could give you a personal reference to Tim Loest or James Swearingen. I'm certain they've both had to deal with this problem.

PM if you are sincerely interested.

garlicguy

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
thomjinx
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2697

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2007 07:38      Profile for thomjinx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mentioned a pencil. Try writing on an instrument more often. Many composers and songwriters find writing on an instrument (real or virtual) much more intuitive. Even if your keyboard (or other) chops aren't good enough to record your performance, it can give you ideas about what will work.
Posts: 3 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA, Earth | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2007 10:45      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't do any composition, but may I suggest you take a look at Debussy's works? He is hard to learn (to me, anyway) because it usually sounds weird at first, but when you get the thing going, it all make sense. So studying him may give you some ideas of how and when to introduce some atonality.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2007 15:01      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by thomjinx:
You mentioned a pencil. Try writing on an instrument more often. Many composers and songwriters find writing on an instrument (real or virtual) much more intuitive. Even if your keyboard (or other) chops aren't good enough to record your performance, it can give you ideas about what will work.

I try to work off of an instrument in order to better develop my ability to "hear" the compositions without needing to play them. When I start using the piano while I write, I find that I'm choosing certain phrases because they're easier to play, rather than because they sound good or make sense harmonically.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture