homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » mp3 players--I wouldn't know where to start (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: mp3 players--I wouldn't know where to start
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 09:58      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would those of you who know anything about mp3 players weigh in on this? I have no clue where to start or what makes one player better than the other (except that I'm with her and wouldn't buy electronics from Walmart).

Oh right. This e-mail is from my youngest sister. She's not a great speller, but she's a brilliant artist and an excellent singer!

quote:
so in case u guys didn't know, I REALLY want a 1 gig or more mp3 player. so i've been checking online for a friend who also wants one, and i need advice, cus i want to buy one also. I don't want to spend more than $100, but i want at least one gig, preferably more. so here are a few sights i found and want ur advice on which ones seem the best. you're also more than welcomed to donate to my mp3 player fund, which is currently empty. :-D thanks.

so i just realized that after christmas the prices of these players should go down, so i'd say wait till then. but i'm looking for some stuff under $100. 1 gig is good, though i don't know if that's too small. that's about 250 mp3 songs or 500 wma files, whatever that is. here's a few websites for some which i think are good deals. oh yeah, i've kind of been checking this out for a while, just on the side, but since i have another friend who wants like the same thing, i'm going to really search.

so this one is really cheap, and cute, and has a voice recorder which is really nice to have, especailly for a singer. i don't like walmart though, but can possibly overlook it in this case.
Walmart

this one has a great amount of songs compared to the price. 5 gigs, $100. no voice recorder. best deal as far as the size, but i'm not sure about the other features.
Walmart

Tiger Direct
here is the site that shows other places to get it.
Sonic

here is a cute one, and since it's RCA, i'd trust it over a brand that i've never heard of. $50 is reasonably for only one gig, right?
RCA

this one is interesting. but it has mini-disks instead of being normal, but can hold a ton of music and is very reasonable. so i don't know.
Sony

this one is cheap, but the sellars look a little sketchy, but good price i think.
Amazon

this is a comparison of two pretty good ones at circuit city. both 2 gigs, and good quality/brand etc. Circuit City

This one is good. 4 gigs, for $100, versus an ipod which is $100 for a one gig nano. but no voice recorer. I'm actually leaning towards this
one. this one or the second one from walmart which is 5 gigs for $100.

so please let me know what u all think because i'm not all that technologically inclined, especially compared to all of u. thanks so much! and i know two of u have a lot to do for a wedding, so don't take time away from that or other important stuff, but if u have free time, could u look into these. thanks so much!

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
JamesDublin
Mini Geek
Member # 6177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 10:23      Profile for JamesDublin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonwyyn,

I recommend the iPod.

The new Shuffle is super-cute, very popular and is 1GB for $79 US. The new Nanos are even smarter looking and come in 2GB, 4GB & 8GB for $149, $199 and $249, respectively. Check out the website www.apple.com and see for yourself.

If I sound like I work for Apple it's because I just love the iPods and bought a mac laptop a couple of years ago and think it's the deal.

Friends with other mp3 players like Creative are actually happy enough with them but admit they prefer the iPod. Looks for sure but even the scroll wheel versus clunky buttons.

Anyway, for what it's worth I say iPod.

--------------------
I still love my 17" PowerBook G4!

Posts: 56 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 11:37      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would vote for an iPod also, mainly because the iTunes (software) plus iPod combination is the most bulletproof solution out there. This is important considering your sister is not technically inclined.

The downside is no voice recording on the Shuffle; You can record with the bigger iPods if you buy a $50 add-on. However, even with the other players your sister looked at, the recording quality may be too poor to be useful.

Another consideration is where she plans to get her music from. If she will be ripping CDs there's no problem. If she will buy music online she has to tie her future to a particular marketplace - iTunes Store, Zune Marketplace or the various PlaysForSure stores (Rhapsody, etc). Apple's iTunes looks to be here for the long haul and has (perhaps) the broadest selection. Microsoft is effectively abandoning the PlaysForSure marketplace they originally created and championed to focus on the new Zune marketplace. Too soon to know what that means, but PlaysForSure might fracture and die without MS behind it.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 11:52      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonwyyn_______________The biggest question to me is does she have a tin ear, as I have not found a mp3 player that can render the sound of an sympany correctly, just not enough of the back ground instruments come through. I will listen to CD's but prefer live and or Vinal as there is too much music thrown away to make a CD and even more to make a mp3 file. If you really like all of the instruments you only hear the loudest with a mps.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 12:06      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheMoMan wrote:
I will listen to CD's but prefer live and or Vinal as there is too much music thrown away to make a CD and even more to make a mp3 file.

-

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 12:11      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
I will listen to CD's but prefer live and or Vinal as there is too much music thrown away to make a CD and even more to make a mp3 file. If you really like all of the instruments you only hear the loudest with a mps.

You're never going to find a portable device that will match the quality of vinyl, of course, but I don't think that anyone can tell the difference between a CD and a lossless rip. I think most MP3 players have support for some sort of lossless compression these days.

I can only just tell the difference between lossless and 128k AAC for most tracks. Only a few select songs are lossless on my iPod.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 12:21      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I looked into this before ordering one for my son. Your sister's first link is for the Creative MuVo V100 1 GB MP3 Player, which just happens to be the one I got for C. The reviews were really good for it, and the price was right for a 15 year old, so that's what he got.

Just my $0.02.

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 15:55      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah i also own a creative N200/ Muvo. Its a great little mp3 player which is pretty cheap now compared to the 200 bucks i bought it for a year ago. The one downside is the software which comes with it is crap and i have a problems getting my music on it with my non - generic computer. But if she has any of the brand name media players then that shouldn't be a problem. My second reccomendation would be the ipod but i would recomend getting the 3 year insurance plan if she does because half the ppl i know who own an ipod has had there's break.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 16:02      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I HIGHLY recommend the creative series... (I have had 4 of them in three years and 3 still work the other I burned out from over use) if you need a good selection Go Here I will also say the the Creative Media Source software impressed me more then iTunes ever has and the support for various codecs is quite good as is the audio quality. (I have nothing against apple but I do not trust them for audio) The mp3 players like the sound cards by creative are crystal clear to volumes the player wont reach. (SoundBlaster was the deFacto standard for a reason) I could probably go on for hours about the creative players but I will just say that if I get a MacBook I am making a custom drive so I wont have to buy an iPod... (oh yeah... every creative I have owned works as a jumpdrive as well and is nativly supported on any system newer then WinME)

--------------------
The one and only "§†eal†h the Fallen One"...Between Your life And mine are Three realities, Yours, The real one, and Mine. They they form a bridge shapped in the letters D-O-_-N-O-T-_-C-R-O-S-S.

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 16:38      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should not forget the option of an Apple Refurb iPod

I got a 2Gb Nano (1st Gen) refurb for £65 (about 40% off a new one...) to put that in perspective I paid over £100 for a new 1Gb Nano (1st Gen) a year ago...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted December 12, 2006 19:37      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't be ridiculous, get an iPod.

Apple Certified Refurbished iPod nano... $89.00 , free shipping
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=32DAAC51&nclm=Certified

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 20:29      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe... Thanks for emphatically resolving the issue, Snaggy. Yes, $89 is less than $100, but it's "only" 1 gig.

I've always wondered, though. For those of you who have smaller iPods/knockoffs, do you find yourself frequently updating your music? Do those with large capacities (20+ gigs) update less? How long do 240 songs last a person? Do you feel it's worth spending the extra money to get a larger capacity mp3 player?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 20:34      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
iTunes can tell you how long 240 songs will last...

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted December 12, 2006 20:42      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes get the 4 gig nano for $145, and she'll spend less time updating it, if ever.
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2006 10:28      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a 1.19 GB playlist which runs about 25 hours. That's quite a bit of music.

And assuming your sister has a computer with USB 2.0 ("high speed", as opposed to the slower USB 1.1), updating 1GB of music on *any* player should be very quick.

Edit: The playlist I mentioned has 381 songs in it, as opposed to Apple's quoted 240. Some of the songs might be ripped at a lower quality than Apple used for their estimates.

- Jeremy

--------------------
Ugh!

stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2006 11:56      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who does have time to listen to 20 gigs of music in an etire session? It is nice to have the music there and handy but usually a gig is enough.

Another point I would like to empasize is to make sure that whatever mp3 player you buy that you make sure that you can return it for your full money back quarenteed. Because no matter how much recearch you do there is always the chance that you will hate the darn thing and have to return it. Most stores offer this but there are several which don't (i was stuck with this problem when i bought mine at the source)

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ingwe
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4815

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2006 13:21      Profile for Ingwe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So this is rhonwyyn's sister who wants the mp3 player. I forgot to add the last link in the email i sent her. So this is it. http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Archos-XS100-MP3-Player-Silver-500790/sem/rpsm/oid/166497/catOid/-13334/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
This one is cute and small, but one gig less than the walmart one. I don't really want an Ipod because, even though they are popular, my friends have told me that they don't last long, and that i'd have to get the warrenty, which is really expensive. plus, i don't want to spend more than $100, and unless I strike gold this christmas, i doubt that will change. I would really like 4 or 5 gigs because i have a ton of music, though i don't think i would mind changing my songs that much, because i do a lot of transporting songs via zipdrive. Ii'm leaning towards this one which i just posted, and the one from walmart which is also $100. Does anyone know anything about those two to recomend one over the other? I download my songs, and the cds that i have are already on my computer, so i would be taking them from computer to player. i don't know anything about the programs either. I have itunes and bearshare and a windows computer. So does any one have more advice? Cus that would be very helful and wonderful. Thanks so much!

--------------------
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit." ~Aristotle

Posts: 12 | From: Valinor | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ingwe
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4815

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2006 13:30      Profile for Ingwe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well maybe i'd go for the $150 refurbished 4 gig nano. otherwise i'd probably go for the $50 1 gig from rca or the creative one if i went for one gig. but what exactly does refurbished mean? how good is it. will it last? thanks.

--------------------
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit." ~Aristotle

Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2006 13:44      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have a many-year-old 5GB original model iPod. It worked fine until the battery finally gave up about a month ago. It still works if it's plugged in. When I get a chance I'll replace the battery and I expect it to be fine.

We also have two almost-1-year-old iPod shuffles in the house that are still working perfectly.

I don't personally know anyone that's had a problem with their iPod. And the battery issue will affect any player that has a built-in battery.

"Refurbished" can mean one of many things. The unit may have been returned because it had a faulty screen, or click-wheel, or whatever. In this case Apple typically replaces the bad part, making the player pretty much good-as-new.

Or "Refurbished" can simply mean someone returned the player because the just didn't like it. If the box is open Apple is required by law to call it something other than "new".

In any event, a refurbished iPod comes with exactly the same warranty as a "new" iPod.

--------------------
Ugh!

Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2006 15:32      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got 2 refurbished iPods, an 'old' 20 gig that's my long distance travelling iPod (it also carries backups of my projects) and my everyday 'workout' iPod Nano 4 gig, which has all my music library on it. The good thing about a refurb iPod is that it means an engineer has checked it over before you buy it, so you know it's going to work out of the box [Smile] Both of mine have been 100% reliable, as has my 'old' style iPod Shuffle (practically bombproof. Friends of mine have accidentally put theirs through a wash and they've still worked).

Other points in favour of iPods. 1) best value for money in terms of size vs price. 2) best interface by far. 3) iTunes 4) when cars have mp3 player connectors on them it's either a generic jack connector or an iPod specific one. 5) Apple's not going to drop the iPod market any time soon (unlike most of the others).

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ingwe
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4815

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2006 17:26      Profile for Ingwe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
alright, so it looks like u've convinced me. :-) assuming i have enough money after i pay my tuition and buy Christmas pressents etc, i think i'll look into getting a refurbished 4 gig ipod, assuming it's no higher than the $150 i saw on the apple sight. Thank you all for your help. it was greatly appreciated, and probably would have ended up with a really bad deal without ur help. thanks again! :-D

P.S. I've been using my brother's site. fyi

--------------------

dragon34
Geek
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 07:01      Profile for dragon34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
We have a many-year-old 5GB original model iPod. It worked fine until the battery finally gave up about a month ago. It still works if it's plugged in. When I get a chance I'll replace the battery and I expect it to be fine....snip...

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ipod/1st_generation/batteries/

Batteries are cheap and easy to install. Unfortunately I replaced the battery in my 2nd gen iPod right before the headphone jack went boom. A friend tried to resolder the connector but it sounds like it's underwater. I now have a battery powered 20 GB firewire hard drive. On the other hand, work lent me a 30 GB 5th gen to play with, so I can't complain too much [Wink]

Posts: 146 | From: Central PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 13:16      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
iPods are reasonably durable, but there are limits

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
LinuxPhreak
Geek Apprentice
Member # 5033

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2007 18:29      Profile for LinuxPhreak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get creative.

Wow that has a double meaning.

By the way, it is an estimate of 250 songs. Depending on how long the songs are and how compressed they are will very. So approximatly 250 songs

--------------------
I am not important. No one is. To be important you need to make history your word must be important. Your inventions must be as equally important.

quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2007 21:07      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<rant>My god. Can no one spell anymore? What a deplorable collection of mangled English..... </rant>

40G iPod. The only way to go. I carry around my library of about 5000 songs. There are multiple play-lists to suit my mood, but mostly I like to do a random shuffle of music I have collected over the last 30 years. If I had to pick and choose down to 1G I would never rediscover things I used to listen to all the time.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture