homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Region 2 DVD into Region 1?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Region 2 DVD into Region 1?
Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2006 17:28      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all,

A DVD that I really want is available on Ebay in Region 2 only (and I live in the States). I am wondering if there is a simple way for me (relatively computer-inept) to transfer this to Region 1 to be able to watch it. Thanks for any help! [Smile]

Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2006 17:44      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just get a region free player, I got this player from Circuit City. If you do a google search you will find the unlock code to make it region free and it will play PAL DVDs. If the link does not work it is the Philips DVP642
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2006 17:46      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can any DVD player be made region-free? I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get a new DVD player and I normally watch DVDs on my laptop anyway, so is there any way to convert the DVD?
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2006 18:40      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You shouldn't have to do anything special to watch it on your computer (that's how I watched my import DVDs before I got the Philips player).
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2006 18:49      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is region free DVD player software available on the net if you don't have one. Download one and install it (google is your friend).

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2006 21:33      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
You shouldn't have to do anything special to watch it on your computer (that's how I watched my import DVDs before I got the Philips player).

I have a Sony VAIO and when I talked with Sony, they said that my computer would play Region 1, but that I could switch the region up to 4 times.
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2006 23:35      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moi:
Can any DVD player be made region-free?

Many can, especially the cheapy chinese ones.
Try googling for "modelNumber region free" or "hacking modelNumber"

Failing that, drop in to your local cheap electrical goods store, make a list of the 3 or 4 cheapest models they have, and google for those. DVD players can be had for under $50, that's not too much to pay for a region free player.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2006 08:56      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a particular brand of DVD player sold at Future Shop for about $30CAD that plays everything (any regiona, PAL and NTSC). No re-coding or hacking required. ;-)
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
AgingAmigaoid
Mini Geek
Member # 764

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2006 13:04      Profile for AgingAmigaoid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by Moi:
Can any DVD player be made region-free?

Try googling for "modelNumber region free" or "hacking modelNumber"
Or just go to http://www.videohelp.com/ click on "DVD Hacks" and search by DVD Player model #
The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2006 14:43      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can make a "Region-Free" copy of the disk for you...(for backup purposes of course.) if you want.

I may tell later how I do it... but mabey not cause I have to have some way of making a business... ($6.oo USD plus S&H both ways.)

--------------------
The one and only "§†eal†h the Fallen One"...Between Your life And mine are Three realities, Yours, The real one, and Mine. They they form a bridge shapped in the letters D-O-_-N-O-T-_-C-R-O-S-S.

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture