homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Mac Geeks -- Resurrecting a Classic App?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mac Geeks -- Resurrecting a Classic App?
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2006 05:30      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, this is for people looking for a weekend puzzle to solve.

I was trying to help a friend migrate from an old iMac (running OS 9.2) to a G3 iBook running Tiger. I thought the easiest way to move his docs and one classic application over would be by using my USB flash drive as an intermediary.

The first time I tried, the USB drive was formatted as a DOS disk of some kind (I work in a predominately PC environment), and the application appears to have been split into data and resource forks. It is not recognized as an application by the iBook. I then partitioned the USB drive to contain a DOS partition and a Mac partition, but the iMac won't recognize the Mac partition (!) -- I'm assuming using Extended/Journaled was the problem and I'll try again on Monday.

Anyway, I'm curious -- is there any (simple) way of recombining the two forks and recreating the app? Or is the fact that the resource fork files have been truncated to 8-character filenames a problem? [Wink] Supposing I could rename the resource fork files, could I recreate the app?

Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2006 07:29      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moe,

Since you are going Mac to Mac, why not use either a crossover cable if the iMac has ethernet or firewire, to transfer the data over. If it truncated the filnames in the tranfer you are going to play hell trying to piece it together.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2006 08:19      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say that's a good idea. If the older iMac has a firewire port, just connect them with a cable and use Tiger's Migration Assistant (in utilities).
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2006 08:39      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The easiest way would be to connect via Firewire, and use Target mode. Boot the older Mac, holding down the T key...and watch it appear on the newer Mac.

Result of a quick Google search:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583

Otherwise, you can /probably/ just connect them with plain Cat-5 - at the worst, use a crossover cable. (Modern Macs autosense/negotiate.) Then, you'd have to go about making a share and accessing it - Firewire Target Mode is a heck of a lot easier. [Razz]

Also, if you're trying to use a FAT formattted disk for transfer of special Mac files... make a DMG archive to store them first (on OS X) - set the size somewhere shy of the available space. Then, everything magical will be preserved. [Smile] [On 9, you should make a StuffIt archive (.sit).]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2006 08:59            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moe Monkey: Probably. Mac OS X has a pseudo-structure concept whereby the resource fork of any file is a child called 'rsrc'. To copy a separate resource fork back into its owner, you could write, in Terminal:

cp resource.frk/owner owner/rsrc

Now, the file has its resource fork back. You might need a cunning shell/PHP/Perl script to go through with `list` and fetch all the files that potentially combining and copy back their resource forks.

I've used this process to use ResEdit in 9 to read files from X whose resource fork is a separate file (the modern forkless concept) by using touch to make a blank file and copying the original resource file into the resource fork of the new file.

But using other approaches to perform the copy first would be better. Burn a Mac CD of the files, connect the machines via Ethernet and use AppleShare, compress them first with StuffIt (.sit, .bin, .hqx, whatever), make a disk image with Disk Copy (they're safe) and put that on the USB key ... All sorts of options. Disk Copy is relatively easy: drop a folder onto its window to have it converted into a disc image automatically. I imagine it is less likely to drain the CPU and crash out than StuffIt!

IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2006 10:27      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to go with FW target mode, but the iMac is pre-FireWire. I also tried filesharing across our LAN, but I get an "older version of afp, not supported" message.

Ethernet Mac-to-Mac might be an option, but a bit fussy for my tastes considering this is a one-off.

All things considered I think I'll go with the flash drive, just reformatted without the journalling so the iMac recognizes it (Assuming that was the problem!). It's a 1GB drive, mainly intended for moving stuff around and sharing -- Partitioning it up to accommodate various platforms is no biggie.

Compressing the files is a good idea, if the iMac has StuffIt installed I might try that. The computer in question is a dog's breakfast, organization-wise, so I'll see what's available on Monday...

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

[Smile]

Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2006 10:49            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can get my StarMax clone to talk to Tiger over Ethernet -- using Tiger's built in file sharing, and ask Mac OS 9.1 to connect to that via the Chooser. This is over regular IP routing via a switch, but the Chooser automatically finds the iMac on the network anyway regardless of using a TCP/IP network instead of AppleTalk. Pretty sweet really.

Only gotcha is that Tiger does not automatically kick off remote connections when going to sleep, so be sure to unmount before putting OS X to sleep, else 9 will hang until it times out the AppleShare connection.

IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2006 07:48      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It occurs to me that we (myself included) have forgotten my original puzzle, which was just to stitch together data and resource forks, although uilleann addressed that at one point.

Networking two Macs has never been much of a problem for me, other than one particular configuration, that of my PowerBook G4 to a dockless Duo... I eventually dug something up, though. Not too many people are interested in modem-to-modem transfers these days!

Anyway, nothing wrong with some pleasant conversation! Thanks again, folks. Enjoy what's left of the weekend.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture