homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » What should I do this summer?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What should I do this summer?
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted November 22, 2006 14:24      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So.

Currently I'm a college freshman, intending to major in bioengineering. I'm looking to work somewhere interesting this summer, preferably in the Boston area, but I'd be willing to relocate anywhere. Right now I have a "maybe" from Boston Scientific and a "maybe" from a professor doing oyster research out in the Pamlico Sound (near the outer banks of NC). I wouldn't mind working in a lab or R&D place somewhere, even if it is grunt work.

If you were a college freshman, where would you work? Any ideas as to what I should do?

goo

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2006 15:46      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stayed and did summer classes, and worked on campus.

Have fun though and enjoy yourself though. Summer is a time to relax from the regular stress.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2006 15:56      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey goo:

You're young and unattached so go discover. Lots of students with interests in Bio ****(anything) apply through the National Park Service and US Forest Service for internships in lab work and field work. The pay is not that great, but, since you're willing to travel you might get some terrific experience and see a part of the country that you would otherwise pass by.

There is a woman locally who started out in New York City, later Connecticut growing up in a large family. Her father is a doctor and quite well to do. She attended College on the East Coast. As a result of an internship at Glacier National Park during her sophomore summer, she ended up taking a job there years later. Now she is married with 2 kids, three of her siblings live nearby, her father and mother have moved here and one of her brothers, a plastic surgeon, has quite a practice in Missoula, about 70 miles away.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2006 18:02      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Intern at a hedge fund. Yeah, it's a sell out, but it;s the last sure path to wealth.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2006 19:19      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
Intern at a hedge fund. Yeah, it's a sell out, but it;s the last sure path to wealth.

Amaranth - 'nuff said [Smile]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture