homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Getting video into a MacBook (cheaply!)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Getting video into a MacBook (cheaply!)
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted November 18, 2006 12:38      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are the best (i.e., recommended) ways to get analog video into a MacBook? I'd like to import video from sources such as a VCR, DVR, and/or the analog output of a digicam (to use it as a webcam I can position elsewhere). And ideally I'd like to do this for under $100. Any recommendations on hardware, software, strategies, etc.?

Thanks!
~TA

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2006 12:56      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have a cheapish DV camera lying around? I was surprised to find that I could pump S-Video into that and it'd squirt it down the FireWire cable as DV.

If not, you need some sort of converter. EyeTV might be worth looking into, but there are probably cheaper ones that don't have all the TV functionality that you don't need. Don't take my word that the EyeTV will work for you. When looking for hardware like this, be careful of the difference between "analog video" (S-Video or RCA) and "analog TV" (that big coax aerial cable) - if your VCR only gives you an aerial output, you'll need a tuner as well... probably better to get a new VCR or something.

Software is easy, though. Pretty much any FireWire DV input will be recognised by QuickTime. Once it is, you can use QuickTime Player or iMovie to import it and edit it for free.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 18, 2006 12:56      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an older version of this:
XLR8 thingy. It works OK.

This version of the adapter for USB 2.0 is 99 dollars. That seems a little pricey, but I'm not sure what else is out there.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2006 12:59      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Snaggy's link is probably better than all my crap. [Wink]

One other thing - a MacBook is easily capable of capturing video, but it's intensive work, so make sure that not too much else is accessing your HD or you might drop frames.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2006 15:13      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the guidance, guys. Much appreciated!

~TA

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture