homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » I'm frustrated!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm frustrated!
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted November 01, 2006 01:32      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought a Lexmark X75 all-in-one at a yard sale Labor Day 2005. I haven't used it until tonight. Or rather, haven't tried to use it until now. But I'd like to make some copies and thought "hey! I have this printer/copier/scanner/faxer. Why not use that!"

So I stuck the CD with drivers into the Pismo's CD drive, but it doesn't show up on my desktop. Next stop, the Lexmark Website where I find the driver for this printer for OSX. I download it. All is good.

Then I try to unstuff it using StuffIt Expander 9.0. It runs all the way, then at the very end gives me an error and says the file was created using an unknown program. Thinking maybe it's Expander's fault for being an old version, I downloaded 11.0. Redownloaded the driver and tried to open with Expander 11.0. Same thing. Error opening it.

What do I do now? I'd really like to get this machine working, but I'm not sure how to make that happen from this point. Do you have any suggestions I should try?

EDIT: Here's a picture of the error:
 -

This is the page for the driver I need: Lexmark X75

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2006 03:05      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...

Stuffit won't expand it on my Mac either, but oddly enough the Windoze version will.
So, if you have access to a PC, install the stuffit expander, [edit - winzip also works] expand the file on the PC (it should produce a file called "Lexmark All In One Installer") then take that back to your Mac and everything should "just work" ™

Or, if you like, I could send you the file, PM me and we'll arrange details.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 01, 2006 03:07            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They compressed it as BinHex?! Argh.

Anyway, works perfectly for me. Look at the file -- it should be 11,874,215 bytes, or about 11.3 MB.

Sounds to me like the file on your Mac is incomplete or mangled. A newer StuffIt should not be the issue as that's BinHex 4, goes back years. Unless they managed to break MacBinary support, might have to repost the file as a disc image.

Actually, if I click the download link in Firefox, it sits there doing nothing. Copied and pasted the URL it into HW, selected destination disc, and wrote out the file that way.

IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2006 03:16      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... yup. Shows as 11.3 MB file. One of my housemates has Windoze, so I'll do as TFD suggested, open it there, then scrounge up my jump drive to transfer it from that computer to my Mac. Come to think of it, though, if I'm only making copies, I shouldn't need a driver, right? (At some point, however, it would be nice to print from this printer, especially if ink is cheaper than an Epson C86's.)

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 01, 2006 03:35            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nonononononono!

It decompresses into a PEFF binary, you cannot store that on a PC. (i.e. it has a ton of stuff in the resource fork, it's not a modern Mach-O .app)

http://telcontar.net/store/temp/Lexmark.dmg ~ 7 MB

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2006 06:02      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something is b0rked for sure...

I downloaded it and gave it a poke or two..., Stuffit fails with the same error as you get - a free tool called Open Up couldn't even see it as a valid archive...

I downloaded a shareware tool called Decoder from these people which did the business for me...

Also as you can see uilleann has kindly made a .dmg for you to download...

Group hugs all round....

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2006 09:18      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have one of those. It can be quite cool at times.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2006 11:52      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awww.... uilleann! You wuv me!! [hearts]

Actually, in all seriousness, thank you very much.

--------------------

Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2006 12:59      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why don't you use the ole applewriter?
Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted November 02, 2006 00:45      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, downloaded and installed the driver, got my computer talking with the Lexmark, and lo-and-behold, it insists on being assigned default printer before it will let me make a copy. Only thing is, IT ALREADY *IS* THE DEFAULT! ARGH!!! Modern technology makes me frustrated sometimes.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2006 07:36      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So go use the printing press instead...along with the butter churn.

Damn this newfangled Intarweb and such silliness... [Big Grin]

(Though to be honest, I *hate* printer problems... and so many of them exist.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2006 14:04      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
So go use the printing press instead...along with the butter churn.

Damn this newfangled Intarweb and such silliness... [Big Grin]

(Though to be honest, I *hate* printer problems... and so many of the exist.)

Yeah i know what you mean, especially the printers my school has in the classrooms. Funny thing about those printers is that it is never a software problem or anything mayor most of the time you just have to open up every little compartment, unplug everything and eureka it works along with the 100 odd print jobs that my classmates printed off because they are clueless about even the most minor technological things.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2006 04:45            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, I was looking through my site stats and came across a 38 MB entry ... six people all downloaded those Lexmark drivers. So now I am curious, are there lots of lurkers here all with scavenged Lexmark printers of the same model who all need drivers? :)

Or maybe a horde of spam bots all descended on the link ... who knows. I'm just tickled that so many people are all playing Intarweb Trek III: The Search For Lexmark Drivers.

For me it's different, I have two printers that need power supplies (a Canon and a Kodak Diconix portable) ... It will be a few years before I can post up power supplies to download, but it cannot be that far off now.

Btw, is the printer working yet?

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2006 05:39      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann

One of those downloads was me... I downloaded the original from the Lexmark site and experienced the Stuffit problems as discussed, I figured out how to get round it and then I downloaded your .dmg to see that yours and mine were indeed identical.

Pointless I know but there we are, that is the sort of things we get up to sometimes... [Big Grin]

Taking it as read that Rhonwyyn was one of the downloaders that makes 4 mystery downloaders.... dah dah dahhhhhh (Scooby Doo style dramatic moment)

Interesting

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2006 06:23      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The other four were all me. I wanted four copies so that I could burn them to four CDs to give to my friends.

No, not really. I didn't download any of them.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture