homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Car advice (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Car advice
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2006 22:20      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, all of a sudden, I decided to buy what cyclists commonly refer to as "cage;" more specifically, a mid-size sedan. The only requirements are good reliability and semi-decent gas mileage, don't really care about sporty looks and that sort of stuff. I suppose I could spend up to ten grand, but cheaper is always better. The usual suspects are the '00-'02 Camry, Accord, Altima or Passat; Audi A4 and Saabs are nice, but they're mighty pricey. Which one of those would you recommend? Also, are there any other decent models I might've missed?
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2006 04:21      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yugo

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2006 07:11      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My vote's towards either a toyota, or a honda (as you said... part of the obvious choices).
They're proven rock-solid vehicles, and hold their re-sale value well.

I personally own a 00' corolla.... it's a very nice vehicle, and drives better in the winter than some trucks that I've driven before.

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2006 07:46      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Yugo

Too bad there aren't any left.

Guess I'll have to buy one of these babies instead, and crash it into one of those [Razz]

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2006 08:02      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
zesovietrussian_________________________You can still find them you just have to look. Then if you total it, whats your loss? I have a nice looking eight year old truck, do I keep full coverage or drop to Public Liability, is it worth the added cost for full coverage because they would only pay the price of an average eight year old truck value and this one is worth more than that.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2006 08:34      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
quote:
Yugo

??

I saw plenty in Serbia. My bf's dad has a new one.

The trouble with a Yugo in the US is Yugos run on leaded gas and that's kinda hard to find here.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2006 09:44      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:
quote:
Yugo

??

I saw plenty in Serbia. My bf's dad has a new one.

The trouble with a Yugo in the US is Yugos run on leaded gas and that's kinda hard to find here.

You beat me to this comment. The states that make up the former Yugoslavia are full of them

-

Croatia is one of the countries that make up the former Yugoslavia. Back in the Eighties this eastern European country decided that they could make a car just as good as any western country, but for less. The resulting Yugo is widely considered one of the worst cars ever manufactured. They were last manufactured around 1990. They are everywhere in Croatia and still running. If this really was one of the worst cars ever built, why do so many still run? They also don't seem that rusty or old as they drive by. These cars are bare minimum 16 years old and run better than most more expensive 16 year old cars.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2006 10:47      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ashitaka_________________________Back in 86 I bought a Pontiac Grand Am with the little 2.5 engine I could not wear that little sucker out, In 2000 I told the wife I was going to get an other small car for the work commute see said "why not a nother Grand Am?" My reply I don't want to drive Grand Am's for twenty eight years. As it turned out the car was ceeded to the stepson whom ruined it in about three months. I moved up to a Grand Prix that the wife totaled a year later, she now has a van.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2006 12:08      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually Ashitaka, Yugos are still being made. And they have electronic chokes now (the 16 year old ones don't - I know because I saw one). The side view mirrors are really badly placed though, and you have to slam the doors really hard if you want them to close. And the new Yugo my bf's dad has doesn't idle very well.

I almost got the full Yugo experience: I got to ride in one and push one, but I didn't drive one. Mainly because I was afraid of the other drivers. :/

Some jokes I learned:

Why do Yugos have heaters on the back windshields?

To warm your hands when you're pushing it.

What's on the back page of a Yugo's owner's manual?

The local bus schedule.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

AgingAmigaoid
Mini Geek
Member # 764

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2006 12:19      Profile for AgingAmigaoid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So, all of a sudden, I decided to buy ... a mid-size sedan.

Don't discount Hyundai. The 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty and $10,500 starting price tag always get my attention.
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2006 12:41      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Actually Ashitaka, Yugos are still being made. And they have electronic chokes now (the 16 year old ones don't - I know because I saw one). The side view mirrors are really badly placed though, and you have to slam the doors really hard if you want them to close. And the new Yugo my bf's dad has doesn't idle very well.

I almost got the full Yugo experience: I got to ride in one and push one, but I didn't drive one. Mainly because I was afraid of the other drivers. :/

Some jokes I learned:

Why do Yugos have heaters on the back windshields?

To warm your hands when you're pushing it.

What's on the back page of a Yugo's owner's manual?

The local bus schedule.

Well then I was misinformed by a tour guide I asked. Which doesn't really surprise me now because he was Croatian and a quick WIKI search show the current Yugos are being made in Serbia.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2006 13:12      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's also Kia, which has a warranty similar to Hyundai's, I believe. I'm not terribly impressed with Hyundai longevity, though, based on several examples my parents owned over the years.

If you want used, definitely Honda or Toyota. Or if you live in a snowy area, Suburu or Volvo. I would avoid at all costs used Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth vehicles from the late '80s to mid '90s timeframe. As much as I like Chrysler styling, they can't seem to build a decent passenger car engine to save their ar$es. Any time I see a car trailing a cloud of blue smoke around here it's 95% guaranteed to be a Dodge. Usually a Caravan or New Yorker.

That said, my first car was an ancient Plymouth Horizon that ran great, except when it rained. Now that I know a bit more I suspect maybe it just needed new spark plug wires.

Oh, and if you look at a Ford, make sure they've replaced the 103 faulty switches that can erupt into flame at inopportune moments [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2006 13:26      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
one word. Mini! Although you might be pushed to get even a 2nd hand one for under $10k as they hold their value really well.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2006 13:31      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
I'm not terribly impressed with Hyundai longevity, though, based on several examples my parents owned over the years.
I've had my Hyundai for over 10 years, and it's given me no trouble. The early models had a bad reputation, but Hyundai lifted its game substantially in the early 90's.

if you live in a snowy area, Suburu or Volvo.

Can't speak highly enough of Subarus, they're fabulous cars. Our Outback cost 3 times as much as my Hyundai, and worth every penny.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2006 13:53      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll second subarus. Many people in my family own them, and they are outstanding vehicles. In fact, my younger sister just got a little Subaru Legacy. The whole all-wheel drive thing is pretty nifty- and useful, at least up here in Montana where you need something like that in the winter.

This may sound weird, but my Ford has problems with the parking brake. Talking to other people, it seems that it's not local only to my model- a '92 explorer. Now, it may not be a big deal in flat areas, but on hills it's nice to have a parking brake that works, and not have to use a piece of cement that you carry in your passenger-side seat as a chalk (like I have to do).

Just food for thought- it's nice a when a vehicle has lots of get-up-and-go, but the really important part is how well it stops.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2006 14:02      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This might be a bit smaller than you were thinking.... but an excellent little vehicle -

The Toyota Starlet:

-

We've had our 5-door version almost five years (making it 8 years old) and no problems. The insurance group is low, 'cause the car looks deathly dull. However, a 1.3 litre fuel-injected engine means that it goes like stink! [Applause]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2006 14:07      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, guess I should add Subaru Forester and Volvo S40 to the list. The 4motion Passat is looking mighty sweet, but it'll be pretty hard to drive one with one arm, one leg and an empty bank account.

Any opinions on 2000-2002 Saabs? I've seen quite a few for under $10K.

Xanthine:
A man entered an auto parts store...
Man: "I need a windshield wiper blade for a Yugo."
Clerk: "Sounds like a fair trade."

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2006 19:23      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LMAO!

Ashitaka, not even the Serbs are overly proud of the Yugo. Those that can afford a better car typically drive one.

I also saw a few Trebants floating around. Now there is a fine eample of German anti-engineering. [Razz]

The word I've heard on Saab is that the company was bought in 1993 by GM and the quality has taken a nosedive since then. Old Saabs tend to run a long time but finding parts for them can be an expensive undertaking (ask my bf...obviously, he's gone a few steps beyond the Yugo).

I'd go with a Subaru (preferrably younger than my p.os., but your budget is a bit more expansive than mine), a Honda, or a Toyota. They tend to be pretty reliable.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2006 19:46      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<jedi mind trick> You want a 1967 Volkswagen Beetle </jedi mind trick>

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2006 21:09      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stop telling other people to go out and buy my car!!! It makes them harder for me to find!!!!

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2006 02:53      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... I bought my Pismo from you, wanna do me a favor and buy my 2001 Nissan Altima? [Big Grin]

It's a great car, but I'm being borderline seduced by the newer Altimas. Or better yet, the Subaru Forester I drive while my car's in the shop (inspection, emission, oil, and new front brake pads yesterday). I'm really glad I got the Altima; it runs well, it's extremely reliable, has great cargo space, handles well, accelerates like nobody's business, and stops on a dime. Gas mileage is excellent, but not quite what my Mom's Toyota Camry is.

If I would've wanted to take on a bigger loan, I would've bought a Camry. Dependability, reliability, handling, interior space, and gas mileage are all superb. But of course, all that comes with a higher price tag. Who knows, though. Maybe with the gas I would've been saving I could've afforded a more expensive car. Oh well.

I really do like my Altima. I just REALLY like the looks of the new Altima. And the possibilities of the Forester are endless.

Pretty much any so-called foreign car is gonna be better than any domestic. I say "so-called" 'cause it seems like cars are designed overseas but in actuality are built in the US.

Have fun shopping!

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted October 18, 2006 08:01      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, newer Saabs are junk, eh? What about Volkswagens? I've seen quite a few Passats that are substantially cheaper than Camrys and Accords of the same year. Isn't the Passat GLX 4Motion essentially an Audi A4 with a VW badge?
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2006 09:30      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Pretty much any so-called foreign car is gonna be better than any domestic. I say "so-called" 'cause it seems like cars are designed overseas but in actuality are built in the US.

Where the vehicle is engineered is where the quality comes in. The assembly is a small part of a vehicle's reliability.

Your 2001 Altima was probably made in Mexico. Check the VIN, if it starts with a 3, it was. (Unless the second digit is a X or later, including digits, then it was made in Costa Rica).

As for car choices, I'd suggest a Toyota. Reliable, hold their value, and they're good cars. If you buy a Corolla, or Matrix, it was inevitably made about 10km from my house. The Matrix is a great car: reliable, nice looking, has much more room than most small sedans, and still gets killer gas mileage. 2003s can be had for ~$10k USD now.

I drive a Nissan now (made in Mexico), and while it's been mostly decent to me since I bought it, I don't think I'll ever go back to Nissan again when I'm done with it.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2006 10:31      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been driving a Saturn for the last 4 years now, and I've been happy with it.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2006 10:36      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
I've been driving a Saturn for the last 4 years now, and I've been happy with it.

My sister has a Saturn. She used to always take it back to the dealer to get the oil changed. One day I told her that I would do it as it is so much less expensive to do it yourself. The problem with a saturn is you have to take off the front tire to change the Oil. I am serious. I guess the designers of the Saturn never figured they would be selling to a customer that would change thier own oil. At the dealership it is no problem to put the car up, and pop the tire off to change the filter. At home it is a pain.

This may or may not have relavence to you.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture