homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Bigger tubes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bigger tubes
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2006 18:34      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok... so about a year ago our exchange finally became ADSL-enabled, and we got broadband. About every two weeks, some problem occurs, we lose service and have to spend ages on the phone trying to get it fixed. It costs about £20 each time in phone bills.

Now I don't expect any of you to come up with a solution for this... I've tried *really* hard, and haven't been able to. But I was just daydreaming... at what point in my life can I expect to get a good internet connection?

What could I expect to get for a thousand pounds a year, say? Or ten thousand? Could i get a nice symmetrical 10Mbit connection? I've looked around the web a lot, but no one will give me a price.

Would it be more cost-effective for me to move abroad? Which countries give you the best service really cheaply?

I know some of you have fast internet (IIRC, dnm's tube is pretty big, and maswan's is too, right?), so hopefully one of you can satisfy my curiosity.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2006 01:30      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We (personally) have fast and reliable broadband off the telephone system through cable (Telewest).

If you want to get the speeds, but your local phone exchange keeps falling over, switching to cable might help.

Although, I don't know much about telecoms hardware, so it might all get routed through the same exchange anyway.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2006 04:10      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand that France and possibly the Netherlands have speeds way above the UK and at considerably cheaper rates... and if you want to go abroad, well they aren't that far away are they?

Oh and most Dutch people speak English... [Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2006 04:15      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maximile_____________________I think I have a worse problem. We live at the end of the phone companys service. We had the electric company extend their lines for service and there is no Cable TV. So we have four options Dialup, WiFi Max Wireless from forty miles away thirty miles and ten miles. the close one is of course the most expensive, but also the fastest. The landscape is good we live at the high point of the county. Oooops forgot Satitilite (I always forget how many tis).

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2006 11:43      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YMMV, but my father had satellite internet for a while and found that the latency was so bad that a dialup connection was faster and better for what he needed to do. He remotes into IBM systems, possibly in a text-based environment, so this might be a worst-case scenario, but worth bearing in mind.

Somehow he now managed to get DSL, even though he lives close to the middle of nowhere. His exchange must be physically close.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2006 11:43      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're running on a 155Mbit OC3 here where I work. It's quiet lovely. It costs the company about $20,000/month though. [Razz]

I'd second the suggestion to give cable a try. As far as other alternatives, unless you're lucky enough to be in one of these fiber-to-the-home areas, I'm not sure you'll be able to find affordable+reliable access. Definitely not from the phone company anyway.

I work for a fixed wireless ISP, and we provide some pretty damn good (and affordable) service, but we're definitely not in your geographical area. :-\

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2006 13:13      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
I understand that France and possibly the Netherlands have speeds way above the UK and at considerably cheaper rates... and if you want to go abroad, well they aren't that far away are they?

Oh and most Dutch people speak English... [Big Grin]

Yeah the dutch rule.

Now i haven't even gotten my high speed yet. The only provider i can get in my area is through a company which provides wirelles internet. But i've been waiting 4 months and every time i call or email them they give me a new excuse for why they can't install it.

my advice is just get dial up connection and broadband which only cost like 15 bucks extra and have your computers set up so that if your connection fails at least you still have a connection. Unless you are constantly downloading big files then a dial up connection for a day while the service is out isn't that bad. Now it is better then moving to another country unless that country is Holland or Canada.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2006 18:29      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My max download is 4mbps (that I have tested) and I have uploaded at 2.5 mbps using a vDSL connection... but I only know of one place that does vDSL and that is here in Omaha on the Qwest network. IIRC it is like $40-60 a month and service is intown. (I have actually been on the phone with the city connection admin to deal with my problems. (I call Qwest and land the other end in mexico but as soon as I say vDSL I am back in Omaha) granted that is a serious move but if your one requirement is reliable service than Qwest vDSL in Omaha is the way to go.

JAT (Just A Thought)

--------------------
The one and only "§†eal†h the Fallen One"...Between Your life And mine are Three realities, Yours, The real one, and Mine. They they form a bridge shapped in the letters D-O-_-N-O-T-_-C-R-O-S-S.

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2006 11:39      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
T1s and T3s (whole or fractional) are avalible from the telco company in most big cities here in The States, but they are much more expensive than they should be... Then you would be going with AT&T/SBC Yahoo!/Ameritech/WhoeverTheyBoughtToday or Time/Warner/AOL/WhoEverTheyBoughtToday...

I'm on Standard ADSL from SBC here in the states, and we've only had trouble twice in about 4 years. Once was a line downage caused by storm, and once was the modem on our end going belly's up.

When I take over the world, I'll mandate that everyhouse hold get a dedicated T1 line, so you won't have to move. All I'll ask in return is your undieing loyalty, your imortal soul and the life of your first born child (Ironically, that is still cheaper than a Windows License).

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture