homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » FTP Server Problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: FTP Server Problem
Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2006 02:43      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I've just setup a server on my pc using Bulletproof. All seems fine as I can access the folders via Flashfxp on my pc but my friend can from his pc.

All settings seem to match ie Pass, User, IP , Port etc so was just wondering if any had any more ideas for us????

Thanks

Mike

Posts: 127 | From: Ireland | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2006 03:23      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a lot to go on, but it could be a NAT (Network Address Translation) problem.

NAT is a bit of techno-wizardry that lets several computers share a single internet connection (and IP address). Outgoing messages are handled by some clever software in your broadband router, your local IP address is replaced with the external (shared) IP address before it goes out on the big bad internet. When the replies come back, the reverse translation is done.

The problem is with incoming requests (like your friends attempt to connect to the FTP server) the NAT S/W needs to know which computer to forward the message to, so you have to tell it. The details of how you do this will depend on your setup, you may need to RTFM.

[edit] - just noticed your user name, are you the Mike Byrne from Ireland I worked with in Melbourne a few years ago?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2006 03:36      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm also guessing it could be a firewall issue .. check that out, particularly if you're running a software one like the XP one or ZoneAlarm...
Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2006 03:51      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im not running any additional firewall programs other than the bog standard windows xp (sp2) ones.

Never really had a problem before as I use torents all the time (keep that between us!!)

I know theres NAT settings on my Netopia Router so I might have a play with that

ps I've never been to Oz but its on my to do list

Might just turn off firewall altogether and see if that makes a difference

Elvermere
Geek
Member # 2456

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2006 06:09      Profile for Elvermere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FTP is a tricky one, but my money is on the router.

NAT is a bugger for FTP as FTP uses ports 22 and 23, one for control and the other for actual data transfer. What this means in practicality is that you can't use NAT or you need to have a router that has "port forwarding" on it.

You should be able to find a howto somewhere, even if it is for a similar router. Alternatively, if there is only one machine hooked into your router, turn off NAT (or into transparent mode) and let every packet hit your computer. Then it's simple matter of setting your firewall rules.

Otherwise configure your router to do port forwarding on ports 20 and 21.

Having said that, it may be your firewall. I'd never recommend you turning it off, but it's a solution to a problem, assuming you can accept the consequences.

And DON'T use passive (PASV) transfers....that only complicates things more as it uses the ports above 1024.

--------------------
Duct Tape is like the force.
It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Posts: 113 | From: Perth, West AU | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2006 06:56      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im using port 21 on server. That was the default setting. Should i change??
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2006 08:09      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please open your textbook on networking and read it. Then, go to Google.

We are not your Homework Helpers.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2006 08:43      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do you always post really unhelpful things!

Whats homework got to do with it! I was looking for some help about ftp and so far people have been really helpfull and friendly. Then you turn up

There really isnt a need for it, get a grip on your life

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2006 10:56            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FTP standard port is 21, not 20, 22 or 23. Bulletproof comes set as standard with the correct port.

Supporting passive (PASV) mode is extremely important, try your best to be compatible (because people connecting are just as likely to have the same problems at their end with routers as you are). This does require a relatively static public IP; if your router is always connected to the Net, it may well be. If not, you may be really buggered as users also behind NAT will not ever be able to connect unless you update the BP settings every time your IP changes! The version of BP I use supports checking your IP for changes but that only works if it can see your public IP; mine only sees my local IP of 192.168.1.2

I am using an older version of BP, but under Multi IP settings, enter your public IP address (you can read this off the router) and verify the port range to listen on. (Generally most FTP clients use something like 3000-3050 for listening, not 20).

Port 21, and the range given above for passive connections, must be port mapped to your PC in the router.

Not having port 21 mapped is likely to be half the problem. The other is your friend having his client set to PASV. Ask him to to try PORT mode -- if he does not have a router, he'll be OK here.

However, I must add: in future, PLEASE provide a copy of the transcript from the client -- that's the bottom-right pane in FlashFXP. This will immediately indicate where the problem may lie. Also, a copy of your BulletProof log is very valuable. For privacy reasons, verify ALL usernames, IP addresses and port numbers and then obscure them. (They must be verified in case that is where the problem lies and after obscuring them, the errors are no longer apparent to anyone who reads the the logs!)

Not that FTP is very secure at all, you may want to consider scp/SFTP etc. I am just taking the risk :)

But NAT routers are generally the cause of problems like this.

IP: Logged
Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2006 11:16      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for you help!
Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2006 14:47      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Just want to check what ip i should be using???

ipconfig says 1 ip but if i goto my Netopia Router screen I get Connection IP and Local Network Ip as diffrent Ip's

I presume i should be using the ipconfig ip

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2006 15:02            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You want the address that the world sees your computer by! This is the public address, the address of your modem. Local network addresses (192.168.* or 10.*) are private to your LAN and no-one outside of it sees them. ipconfig only reports the local address of the machine.

(I just wrote most of a PORT/PASV explanation and realised I was miles off the mark :) Bugger.)

IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2006 15:49      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mikebyrne:
I Just want to check what ip i should be using???

This site will tell you your true (external) IP address.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2006 16:02      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GOT IT WORKING!!!!

Turned out to be the wrong ip all along (DOH!!)

Thanks a million for all the help guys

Mike

Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2006 18:18      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it was layer 8. I knew it!
Elvermere
Geek
Member # 2456

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2006 06:56      Profile for Elvermere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ROFL Jace

I thought it was pebcak myself ;-)

Cheers

--------------------
Duct Tape is like the force.
It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Posts: 113 | From: Perth, West AU | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture