homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » power problems

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: power problems
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2006 16:57      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lately i've been expierencing a low level of power in my room (lights dimming and humming). I think its due because i had to put all the upstairs rooms on one breaker so i could get enough power to my hot tub. The weird thing which has been bothering me is that nothing is triggering these events such as the air conditioning turning on. Now i was wondering if this occasional dimming of the power would affect my computer enough for me to invest the 60 bucks in a ups?.

p.s. the computer hasn't frozen or anything yet but its a 1600 computer and i don't want anything to happen to it especially since i don't have a back up copy of the hard drive yet.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2006 17:17      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$60 for a UPS is not enough. Read up on surge protecters and get a good one (hint <$30 is worthless), THEN put a UPS behind that.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2006 17:50      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stevenback7______________________Invest in a voltmeter even a cheap one and test the mains. Most modern comps the switching power supply can handle between 105 and 140 with out problems. there is an other clean power device called a saturated transformer it will put out the 117 needed with an input between 90 and 160. These items are very costly and costly to operate about 30% effiecent.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2006 13:05      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
k thanks, I really don't want to invest in ups but if the flickering of the lights ment a big enough drain on the power to ruin my computer then i would invest in a ups.

But thanks for the replies, if it gets any worse then i guess i will have to buy the ups then.

--------------------

Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 2 posted September 30, 2006 17:38      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What size main box do you have?

You mean you've used all your circuit breakers and had to rig your wiring this way to feed the hot tub?

Modern kitchens alone require their own circuitry, usually with two or more 15-A circuits to power outlets, then more for dw, range, disposal, lighting.

This set up seems a little shakey at first glance.

I've made three moves since early 90 and each move I dedicated a circuit to 1) media center, 2) computer center. Giving each 20 amps.

Then it's all given surge protection.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2006 18:19      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
now my family uses a lot of power. there are two main boxes in the dairy barn and then there is a main box for the house and since our house is a old 2 floor 120+ style victorian house it has a lot of breakers. But since we've done some remodelling some breakerers are handelling a lot of power. i.e the whole uper level which houses 3 computers plus a bunch of other electronic gizmos are all on one breaker.

For now i think everything should be fine the weird dimming and humming of the lights only happens every now and then. But just to be on the safe side i think i will download something to easily show me how much power my pc is getting.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2006 20:45      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Call an electrician, and get the place rewired! Find the unused breakers, and move a bunch of those outlets onto them.

In the very short term, you might want to invest in a fire extinguisher or two...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2006 21:12            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the very short term, you might want to invest in a fire extinguisher or two...

LOL! And don't make them water ones!

That said, I doubt a bunch of computers take that much power. I have two of mine sharing one 13A socket along with the router (let alone that they're sharing a breaker with probably half the house -- when the kettle in the kitchen downstairs shorted, *flick* dooowwww....), although they're rather old and the current draw of a modern PC or Mac is presumably higher, but then again, modern folk will have TFT and save on current there....

IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2006 17:45      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol, now i'm out of the house in less then two years so as long as nothing mayor happens i should be fine. That reminds me the nearest fire exstinguesher is in the shed and both our smoke detectors have dead batteries.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture