homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Tape cassettes to (something digital)?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tape cassettes to (something digital)?
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 20, 2006 20:02      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so I've been waxing nostalic by going through some tapes I have. What's the best way to transfer with the best possible quality short of going to some "pro" to transfer the stuff I have on tape to MP3 or something? I've got the power (see posting on Mac Pro). So now what? Suggestions?
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2006 22:31      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need an iMic

I have the older, silver version. It comes with with Final Vinyl recording software. There is a selection of other software out there which you could pay for, but I'd stick with Final Vinyl as it's a doddle to use. [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2006 07:38      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used Final Vinyl to record some records and it went pretty well. I think, however, that you can get by with what you have. The Mac Book Pro has an audio mini-jack input. Just hook it up to your stereo. (You might need the appropriate cable from an electronics store.) For the actual recording, you could use the open source program "Audacity".

You could also record in Garageband: just make a new song with a live track. I have used Garageband to "back up" voicemail.

For music recordings, my two favorite inexpensive programs are Wiretap and Audio Hijack Pro. Wiretap is simple, and quick; I use it for recording internet radio streams. Audio Hijack is more complicated but has some nifty controls and filters that can improve the quality of your recording. It is my usual go-to program for recording music off vinyl via the stereo.

Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2006 08:05      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RScottV:
The Mac Book Pro has an audio mini-jack input. Just hook it up to your stereo. (You might need the appropriate cable from an electronics store.) For the actual recording, you could use the open source program "Audacity".

Yeah, I've used a simple 3.5mm male to male jack plug before, and it was fine for my needs. It takes a bit of messing around with levels, but once it's set up, it's fine. I'm pretty sure that no matter how cheap the cable, that's not going to be the limiting factor in the setup.

Oh, and Boo has a Mac Pro rather than a MBP, but I checked the specs and it has stereo analogue input as well. (I guess you;d expect it to, really).

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2006 08:39      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RScottV:
For the actual recording, you could use the open source program "Audacity".

Or possibly an even better choice might be gramofile as it does the track splitting automatically. Think it also can handle noise reduction too. Worth a try...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2006 11:50      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the suggestions! Now to find the time to try it...
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 25, 2006 10:41      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this one is suitably silly..

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/drives/7a8d/

I'm guessing it's just an internal audio connection lead though, so it's probably Mac compatible too with a bit of McGuyver 101.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture