homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Anyone a chainsaw geek? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Anyone a chainsaw geek?
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted August 29, 2006 15:11      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I'm such a rugged Canadian man, [Razz] , I'm going to be buying a chainsaw and I wondered if any of the numerous rugged manly men geeks out there had any advice. I've used cheap ones before and they are always a pain, so this time I wanna get a good one. I just need it for cutting firewood and small trees, and looking cool while standing around outside in the woods. [Big Grin]

I was thinking a Stihl, prolly a MS 180 C since I can't afford the 250 I really want.

Talk SAW to me!

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2006 16:44      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy______________________I do not think you can go bad with Poulan, Husquvarna, and Stihl. They all make good machines and if proporly cared for, are good performers. Find a nice gin mill that caters to loggers (wood ticks in Michigan) and you will find that those three names come up the most.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2006 16:49      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who's for a rousing chorus of Monty Python's lumberjack song? [Razz]

Our grounds people here have two Stihls and a Husky. I can check tomorrow if they have a preference on brands.

The manly men use axes and crosscut saws, though. [Wink]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2006 17:14      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sxeptomaniac___________________I learned on a two man cross-cut My dad claimed I rode the saw and that he did not mind that but to not drag my feet.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2006 17:44      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not a fan of Poulan. But as far as Husqvarna and Stihls, you won't go wrong.

The best advice I have for you, is lean how to sharpen your own chain. IMO, there is nothing harder on a chainsaw then trying to cut using a cheap and dull chain. Plus, it is very easy and will save you in headaches, money, and will keep it cutting wood like buttuh.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2006 18:03      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac: Who's for a rousing chorus of Monty Python's lumberjack song?
I used to sing The Lumberjack Song to my daughter every night as a lullaby.

I have an Black and Decker electric saw. It's a POS, but it works for clearing fallen branches and precision cutting the stump off the Christmas tree each year.

Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2006 18:05      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy,

We heated our homes and cooked using wood exclusively for several years. Some of that time we were in Missouri and the wood we used was Oak - hard as rock and tough on saws.

Stihl.

Get a used 026 if you can find one in reasonable shape. Best saw they ever made - a terrific blend of weight and power. eBay usually has a few of them in your neck of the woods.

gg

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2006 19:26      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Sxeptomaniac___________________I learned on a two man cross-cut My dad claimed I rode the saw and that he did not mind that but to not drag my feet.

I learned to use them on trailcrew. I wish I could afford a vintage one myself (I just like the feel of hand tools, rather than the power variety).

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2006 19:53            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Snaggy,

Please bear something very important in mind, this will help you as such a manly man ...

Do not attempt to stop the chain with your hands or genitals ...

IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2006 20:44      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lumberjack Joke

Mitch is working at the lumberyard, pushing a tree through the buzz saw, and accidentally shears off all ten of his fingers. He manages to drive himself to the nearest hospital's emergency room.

The doctor says, "Oh my gosh, reattachment surgery on so many lost digits has never been attempted before! But don't worry, I'm the best surgeon in the hospital, give me the fingers, and I'll see what I can do."

Mitchell says, "I haven't got the fingers."

The doctor says, "What do you mean, you haven't got the fingers? It's 2000. We've got microsurgery and all kinds of incredible techniques. I could have put them back on and made you like new. Why didn't you bring the fingers?"

Mitch says, "Well, Doc, I couldn't exactly pick the things up!"

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

the lesson in all of this is make sure you watch what your doing and not try and look too manly. also don't cut down a tree while naked because you might cut down the wrong tree. [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2006 21:57      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the sharp tips. [Smile]

GG: Ooooo yeah, a 026 Stihl... that's what I want! :drool:

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 03:04      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing I love about mankind is that anything with an engine in it is raced.

How about nitrous injection, or a nice V6 monster.

Google "hotsaw" for more glorious evidence of human stupidity.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 06:12      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
littlefish_______________________That has got to be insane, however I have seen a Harley powered one 80 incher. That was quite a bit lighter.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 06:35      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to second all of the recommendations for Stihls. They're like the prime rib of chainsaws; you'll never find yourself "hacking" at anything, it rides right through.

I've used a Stihl to take down bushes and for chopping up the occasional felled tree, in-home demolition and construction projects, and the occasional head of a n00b. Thumbs-up, seriously.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 10:26      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Demosthenes____________________And I always thought that you would use a sawsall.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 10:55      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still use a hand saw for when I have to dispose of my victi ...... Ummm trees. Yeah, Trees.

I just don't need it enough to justify buying one.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 13:51      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a fair bit of woodland management back in the day (as a conservation volunteer) and all the people I worked with would offer the same recommendations:

1) Stihl for if you have lots of work to do everyday
2) Husqvarna for if you want to sit awhile and
admire your new saw
3) ... and this is crucial.... McCulloch for if you
want to regret your choice everytime you get a
repair bill or another trip to hospital with
white-finger.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 16:30      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy,
I'd definately reccommend a stihl.

They're the only brand that the guys at the power company here like. They have the most durable motors, the most power, and they're well balanced.

Some points to consider:

get a bar that's the right size (big enough to cut most of the things you'll need to cut in one pass, but not too big as to lop of stray appendages)

Be sure not to get a chainsaw that's too heavy. Remember, you may be hauling this thing around all day.

I second commandershroom... definately learn how to sharpen your chain (all you need is a chainsaw file and a small flat file). you'll start running into some problems when your chain gets dull, and it's an easy excuse to sit down for 10 minutes.

Lastly, I strongly recommend getting a pair of good chainsaw pants, or chainsaw chaps, and a comfortable pair of leather gloves (besides the obvious eye and ear protection). I've heard of too many people that got hurt because they didn't want to spend $150 on a pair of "stupid orange pants".

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 19:33      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God bless Andreas Stihl and all the little squirrels he left homeless.

Buy the 026, and years later when that saw is still running, you won't regret all the yellling Nitrozac put you through because you couldn't afford anything else that month.

Colonel Panic
Proud owner of a well used Stihl 026

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted August 30, 2006 20:02      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK OK, I have drunk the Koolaid on the 026 and I now want one more than anything.

Stihl newbie Q: Is there any difference between a 260 and an 026? [Confused]

Buy the 026, and years later when that saw is still running, you won't regret all the yellling Nitrozac put you through because you couldn't afford anything else that month.

lol, actually, she is "saying go for it, buy the best, treat yourself." [Big Grin]

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 20:09      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huge difference!

The 026 (no longer made since about 1999 or 2000) was well engineered and constructed - made to last even when used by professional loggers (sawyers and such) as well as maintenance crews for the utility companies, etc. They got into the hand of homeowners and ranchers when Stihl introduced them in 1993 at a very good price (about $450 USD, IIRC).

In fact, since you brought the question up, I'm back on eBay watching and bidding again. I miss my 026 and a 260 is no substitute!

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted August 30, 2006 20:30      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks galicguy!

(oh great, now I'll be bidding against you!) [ohwell] [crazy]

heh I should delete this thread, before it singlehandedly raises the price of 026s [Big Grin]

Jessycat

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted August 30, 2006 22:42      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
...McCulloch for if you
white-finger.

I didn't know what white-finger was, so I googled it. Answers.com had a definition... and these ads:

-

I never knew! [Eek!] I'll certainly be more careful with my... er... massager in the future. [Big Grin]

Posts: 490 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 23:00      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since when did they start putting chainsaw motors in... er... massagers?..

quote:
Originally posted by Jessycat:
quote:
...McCulloch for if you
white-finger.

I didn't know what white-finger was, so I googled it. Answers.com had a definition... and these ads:

-

I never knew! [Eek!] I'll certainly be more careful with my... er... massager in the future. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 03:14      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
Since when did they start putting chainsaw motors in... er... massagers?..

quote:
Originally posted by Jessycat:
quote:
...McCulloch for if you
white-finger.

-

Some women like it rough

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture