homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Virus and reformatting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Virus and reformatting
Mike P.
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5649

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2006 14:51      Profile for Mike P.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Received a Dell 8100 and it had melenium 'I know'
Tried to put XP in it and it has a vs1v virus that uses all the memory in the start menu before Norton or Xp can go in and locks the system.
Won't go online and has 20 files running in the start menu off the boot!
Delete one and 10 mor pop up.
How can I format my drive with this problem so I can load XP?
I appreciate any advice.
MIke

Posts: 1 | From: Ma. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2006 15:01      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go into the BIOS and change the boot order so that it will boot from a CD, then boot from the XP CD. The setup for XP will let you wipe the drive.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2006 18:05      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I absolutely hate it when I have files running in my start menu. I can live with process running in the background, and have come to expect it with any OS. I can even live with some programs running in the System Tray in an attemp to help make my life easier. Currently I have my wireless performance monitor running, gtalk and ActivCard. I can say, pretty convienent; but to think, Bill going so far as to allow for files to run in my start menu, unacceptable!

Okay, fo realz tho!

F2 durring startup will get you into the BIOS. Alt+P to change pages till you get to the appropiate page with you boot sequence. Make sure your Optical Drive is above your HDD, pop in the disk and reboot.

This time durring startup it will say something like, "Press any key to boot from CD...". It will give you 5 seconds usually so pay attention.

Then just follow the directions.

Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 06:58      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you edit the programs that run automatically when your computer starts up? (I have a PC.)
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 07:20            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh come on! A Mac is a PC. A Linux box is a PC. A BBC Micro is technically a PC since "PC" really just means "microcomputer" :P

In Windows, some items are in the Start menu under Start > Programs > Startup, which you can review and modify just like the rest of the Start menu. For the rest, I use the Windows Registry but that's a bit evil.

For XP, 98 and Me, there's Microsoft's MSConfig tool that ships with the computer. The page explains about what to do for NT and 2000 which did not have MSConfig.

Or, there is Sysinternals' Autoruns Just downloaded it and it looks more friendly and useful than MSConfig ... Gives you a slightly better feel for what each item does, who made it and maybe whether you really want it or not.

But you must be very, very careful what you choose to disable! Don't remove anything useful or important by mistake.

IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 08:01      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moi:
How do you edit the programs that run automatically when your computer starts up? (I have a PC.)

I use regedit to control what starts when the PC is turned on.

if you have never used regedit before BE CAREFUL!

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 08:17            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, Ashitaka, pray tell me what Moi is going to do should (s)he find Regedit ...
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 08:41      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not entirely unrelated, but my main 80GB HDD decided to throw in the towel on Friday night. Was in the middle of a game...BSOD...restart and won't even boot, keeps going to BSOD. Tried booting from XP CD and same thing happens...BSOD. Can't even format the silly thing. Luckily I have an older 40GB with my music on so I installed XP on that. The thing wouldn't even boot when I changed swapped Master and Slave status.

When I get anywhere near my favourite computer store I'll be picking up a SATA2 250GB 7200rpm 16MB Cache. So damned annoying 'cause I hadn't backed up in a month and lost everything since then. Nothing major, just emails, uni pdf's to download again, and a months worth of tinkering with Empire At War [Mad]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 09:08      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Start > Run > "msconfig"

Fist tab allows for you to choose your startup preferences
Last tab should be "Startup" allows you to choose the programs that startup. I suggest keeping all AV and Firewalls running at startup.

Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 09:10      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
quote:

Start > Run > "msconfig"

Fist tab allows for you to choose your startup preferences
Last tab should be "Startup" allows you to choose the programs that startup. I suggest keeping all AV and Firewalls running at startup.

Astro Jedi: there should be a Stop code on the very first line of the BSOD. It should look like a bunch of registry addresses.

Copy that down and post it here, or you can google it yourself. You might be able to recover using a windows installation disk and using the recovery console included but we need to know what the problem is.

Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 10:03      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the helps Jace.

I copied this down from the BSOD when it happened:

Stop: 0x00000024 (0x001902FA, 0xF89B5700, 0xF89B5400, 0xF81B2BEF)

ntfs.sys - Address F81B2BEF [email protected]
date stamp 3d6de5c1

Read a bit about the problem on the MS support page. Given that it says the last resort is to delete and recreate the partition and format and since I can't do any of those on this drive, is it reasonable to conclude that the problem is physical rather than electronic?

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 11:02      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
Uh, Ashitaka, pray tell me what Moi is going to do should (s)he find Regedit ...

Go to places like this and delete the keys of programs (s)he doesn't want starting.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 11:11      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he doesn't know about regedit in the first place, he wouldn't know about specific keys.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 11:17      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Metasquares:
If he doesn't know about regedit in the first place, he wouldn't know about specific keys.

Yea, but if someone wants to learn it is a simple web search to find what keys control what.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 13:01            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still find it amazing that I post something and people follow it later by inferior posts. No, Jace, MSConfig is not on all Windows versions. And Autoruns looks to be the smartest application so far as it shows not just the icon of the application, but the vendor name and file description (from the versioninfo) so you can start to get a feel for why the program is being run. You can also right-click any entry and click Google to search for more info. It also has a wider scope and shows you items more directly.

There may well be a better program for the job, but in the end, computers are retarded and there's no good way to check up on the computer. Whether UNIX/Linux systems have a better approach than Mac OS/Windows, I don't know.

But do we really want complete novices poking about with Regedit and accidentally breaking stuff they don't recognise? The Registry is a mess and it's best not to screw with it. MSConfig/Autoruns also let you disable and re-enable items whereas using Registry you're more likely to just delete something and then regret it.

LoneWolf
Mini Geek
Member # 4966

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 14:09      Profile for LoneWolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try Startup Control Panel

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Posts: 61 | From: Victoria BC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 14:20      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann wrote:
But do we really want complete novices poking about with Regedit and accidentally breaking stuff they don't recognise?

Due to the entertainment value, the answer is a resounding "Yes!"

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 12 posted August 30, 2006 14:22            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That, or just tell them that the answer is: format c: /y
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 14:33      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
I still find it amazing that I post something and people follow it later by inferior posts. No, Jace, MSConfig is not on all Windows versions.

Didn't know that. I knew i subscribed to this place for a reason...
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 15:41      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My turn for an inferior post. [Wink]

I have used Autoruns, msconfig, and a few other tools. None will do it all.

I generally don't muck about the registry, unless there is a real need. Windows has a few unneeded services that I do, on occasion, shut off with msconfig. But the way I see it, if the system has to be tweaked and messed with that much you either a.) Need a job. or b.) Need to uninstall some crapware.

A well maintained version of any OS should run fairly quickly and with very little fuss.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 18:40            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno, some computers ship with all sorts of stuff running you never wanted nor asked for, like AOL dial-up software running in the background all the time. Supposedly this is not (in this case) Dell's fault but Microsoft's and all copies of Windows XP ship with all that nonsense. Not sure I believe that but I don't run XP and I never got any rubbish on my 2000 CD.

Some items, have easier ways to do it. Tray icons, left click them, see if there's a "Fuck off" option. (Complete with italics) Then try right-click and look for something there... QuickTime's utterly pointless tray icon can be switched off from the QuickTime control panel somewhere, but not from the icon itself. Using tray icons to switch off those services is a more reliable method. I'd probably get more satisfaction from going for its Registry entry with one of those chainsaws people keep mentioning... :]

I'm down to a mere 12 tray icons, but I know what they're all there for or I put them there (like Winamp's play/pause button). The items that run secretly at boot, I leave mostly alone since I don't know what they do. Generally Autoruns/MSConfig/Regedit is more for when a PC is all screwed up by the user and you've drawn a blank with Add/Remove Programs...

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 18:50      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very true uilleann, I normally wipe anything I get from a vendor. Though in all honestly I have not bought a complete system new in many years. And the last one I did was sans an OS.

But that is where the uninstall part does come into play. Unless the person decides it is a program they want, it should be deleted, not turned off.

Though I am waiting for someone to try and sue a computer manufacturer for messing up their new system by installing buggy ad infested trialware.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 19:12            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, by your reckoning I'd have to uninstall QuickTime to remove the pesky tray icon? (Fortunately most icons have an 'off' option) Uninstall something I don't want but may need later, but for which the OEM vendor did not provide a separate install CD? (Either you get it with the OS or you don't?)

I wish people would play fair, I really do. But the IT industry cannot get over itself, and declare the 8.3 naming days over. Mac OS X has ended up just as screwy a mess but for different reasons, partially from Apple expecting System 7's cute folder-based disc layout (Fonts, Control Panels, Extensions, Preferences) to still work on a system as colossal as X. It was already out of hand with 8.5.

User-focused system design, that's all I ask. An OS that is finally accountable to the user and designed so that that is realistically possible.

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 19:56      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK I did say that. Though it is not exactly what I meant.

I was referring more to the digging into the registry and such. To me, if a program is so damned annoying that it warrants such measures, you should just uninstall it and be done with their junk for good.

It is the way I believe and do. If I find that a program I have installed is going to cause me that kind of agony, I will rid myself of it for good.

Also, many of the new computers are coming with these image partitions. Which makes me so angry I can't stand it. I have had good luck though calling the vendor and demanding a proper copy of the disks. And barring the availability of that I will copy a CD of the OS that the system has natively installed and use the tag that should be stuck on the side of the system.

But then again, I am not the average user...

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 20:13            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was at someone's house and she was complaining that her Internet connection on her PC was not working any more. Indeed, it was not. It's been a few months so I forget how I found out, but some strange application that supported extra, fictitious domain names had been installed with (most likely) BearShare (is that a Care Bear program?) and had broken her Internet connection.

I searched the Web for any clues, and the Wikipedia page just told me to uninstall it from Add/Remove programs. How odd ... evil software that has a perfectly good uninstall! Her Internet connection worked fine after that.

Never did work out what it was for, but her godson was apparently going to be in trouble for breaking her PC >:)

Sometimes it's more subtle. We had a PC at work running the Microsoft Anti-Spyware program (gtasvc or some such) that it took me a long time to pin down as the cause of mind-blowingly bad performance. Boy was I glad when that was removed; not sure who installed it in the first place, though. (I wished I could blame all the crap that comes wih QuickTime now like the iPod DNS responder, but noooo)

Yes, I am a fan of Add/Remove programs (although the dragon has concerns about it). I love removing anything I can find that I never wanted or asked for, die bastards die. But once again, you get back to the question of, "Well, what is this exactly?" Entries in the list that don't make a lot of sense and you have no idea how they got to be there. Do I uninstall them or not?

At least with my PC, I can account for pretty much every process on the machine (with the exception of the service hosts as I don't know what most Windows services do, it was never Microsoft's intention that anyone figure those out ;) And some seemingly pointless services like Telephony -- I don't even have a modem in the PC -- must be running for mysterious reasons else things break.)

Still, I am not averse to kicking a few pieces of crap out of the boot process like ridiculous tray icons that don't do any good. No need to uninstall the whole package, just remove the things that load on boot/login since they're wasting time. Sometimes, packages come in various parts and you have to weed out the crap that you don't want. I love how if I rip the QuickTime DLLs out of Firefox, something comes along and puts them all back again. Argh.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture