homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » GPS Rental

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GPS Rental
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2006 23:43      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm getting ready to take a road trip next month and my brother told me he had heard about places that rent GPS devices on a daily or weekly basis. Has anyone used any of these services? If so any reccomendations or warnings?
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2006 02:22      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The CIA rents them cheap if you're of middle-eastern descent. Also if you're of liberal leanings, check with the NSA.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tirthas the Geek
Mini Geek
Member # 2864

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2006 07:54      Profile for Tirthas the Geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My firm does quite a bit of field work--locating points in the field with near-survey accuracy. We rent a Trimble GeoXH from a local GIS/GPS/Survey shop. It's quite effective, although maybe overkill for what you're looking for. But you have to love sub-foot accuracy.

The device syncs with any number of different software packages to give you an idea of where you are and where you've been. You could probably plug it into Google Earth or some other similar package. We dump the data out into surveys of project sites using AutoCAD--we don't do a ton of mapping.

From a purchase standpoint, some of the Garmin eTrex units retail for around $120 US, so that may end up being a more affordable option than renting, depending on the length of your trip. The accuracy is more in the 15-meter range, but they work fairly well. I have an older version of one of those units and use it on hikes, road-trips, etc. I'm guessing you could pick one up on eBay or Froogle one for safely under $100 US.

--------------------
I already used my best sig on Slashdot.

Posts: 92 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2006 08:11      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The eTrex series are good for hiking (I have one myself), but on their own, they aren't that good for navigating in a car. It doesn't support an external antenna and the roof of the car greatly reduces signal reception (for mine, at least), so most of the time it has to be placed on the dashboard to get a decent reading. The buttons are also designed for use with the GPS in hand and are difficult to use when it's sitting on the dashboard of the car.

It can be hooked up to the serial port of a PC or handheld, however, and used as an external GPS in conjunction with any mapping software that supports it. In that case, you don't have to pick up the GPS to view the screen or use the buttons, so it works decently.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted August 29, 2006 08:59      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm currently testing out a GlobalSat's BT-328, but with that you'll need your bluetooth-enabled laptop and some software like RouteBuddy.

So, that probably doesn't help you, but you may find it interesting. [Geek]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2006 13:44      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We bought for 200 euros a iPaq PDA that comes with a bluetooth GPS device and a TomTom license. I don't know if that's available in the US or sold under a different name.
That's very cool stuff, the TomTom software is vey nice.

Thomas

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2006 20:06      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I'm looking for a dash type one for driving directions, I don't own a laptop.

This is a place like I'm inquiring about.

Too bad there isn't an official GPS cartridge for the Nintendo DS, I did find a hack , but it's not something in mt skill level.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
AirbagGuy
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 9087

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2007 17:00      Profile for AirbagGuy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can try:

http://www.gpsforhire.com

Posts: 1 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture