homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Problem with mouse and laptop

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Problem with mouse and laptop
Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2006 17:00      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Sony VAIO laptop with Windows XP and I attach a desktop computer sized Microfost Intelli-Point mouse to it. The problem that I experience is as follows:

When I type (in Word, e-mail, or any other program), the cursor randomly jumps to the spot on the screen where the mouse pointer is sitting idly and the text I was trying to type starts getting typed in the new location. Is there some sort of setting I can change to fix this? Please let me know if my question is unclear or needs further explanation. Thanks for any help.

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2006 18:43      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am gonna go out on a limb and say that it is ulikely there is an issue with your mouse.

I had the same issue a while back. It turns out that I would make contact with the touchpad on my laptop and move the cursor.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2006 19:29      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a setting to disable the trackpad when a mouse is plugged in.
Posts: 490 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 3 posted August 28, 2006 21:44      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pebkac [Big Grin]

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 12:48      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jessycat:

Can you tell me how to do that please?
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 14:42      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moi:
quote:

Control Panel.
Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 16:48      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by Moi:
quote:

Control Panel.
Sorry, I actually don't know what to do at all. So could someone give me more detailed assistance please?
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 17:59      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hate to break it to everyone.

Not all of the touchpads have that particular option.

But, if you are using a fairly new version of the synaptics touchpad driver, there is an option called PalmCheck.

It will be in the control panel under the mouse setings. There should be a separate tab that says Device Settings. You will need to go in and just mess around with different settings until it 'feels' right.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture