homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Cell phones

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cell phones
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2006 18:05      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I figured I'd post this here for a little help...

I'm in the market for a new cell phone, and have basically narrowed it down to four models:

MOTOROLA V3C RAZR
SAMSUNG SPH-A900
PALM TREO 650
UTSTARCOM 6700

I'm leaning between the RAZR, or the A900... I really like the camera features of the A900... but I like the interface of the RAZR. I also like the features of the two smartphones.

If any of you have one of these models (or know someone who does) and can give me an honest review, I'd really appreciate it.

I am open to looking into new phones, but these four are all ones that my carrier... Aliant (Bell) stocks.

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2006 19:47      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Palm Treo 650 sucks ass, plus it is discontinued. I uses the palm OS which isn't very nice to use. I just dumped my 650 and picked up a StarCom today, and will provide a review when I get around to it in the next few days.
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2006 22:04      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter's Razr has a horrible metallic sound to it. Other people I know complain about the same thing. Every Samsung phone that anyone in my family has owned has been rock solid reliable, and virtually indestrucible.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2006 22:56      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...I'm going to be really vague here:

Can anyone recommend a cheap, good Verizon phone? All I really care about is good battery life and coverage (tri-band preferable), and optionally speakerphone and/or Bluetooth (though VZW is quite restrictive about that). I'm up for New Every 2, so I think anything under $100 is 'free' for me.

Currently I have a simple LG phone that works like a champ.

Oh, one other thing...I really like T9 predictive typing. Motorola's own predictive engine is pretty weak (mind you, my Nextel has T9, but I don't text for work...).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2006 01:06      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My flatmate has a Razr, and hates the UI, so chalk up another negative there. Personally, I hate the things and don't have one, so I would suggest not buying one at all.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2006 07:25      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spoke to a guy who worked in a phone shop, he said about half of all the phones brought in for repair/replacement were Razrs.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2006 07:47      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everybody I know who bought a razr regretted it.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2006 08:51      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most people who buy the Razr though are teenagers who only care about looks and will go through several cell phones just to get the best looking phone. And i should know because my highschool is full of these people. So if you want a cell phone just for looks then get a razr. If you are looking for a cell phone which is durable and will actually work then look elsewhere.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2006 09:16      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've found that, in general, Motorola makes pretty durable phones, but that's about it. Their menu systems always feel complicated and counterintuitive (it seems like Motorola owners are always asking me for help figuring out their phones). I have a mid-range LG for almost two years now, and I've been pretty happy with it. It's got some useful features, and I've never had any trouble with it.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2006 11:22      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
canadiangeek_______________________I have found that the less features a Cell phone has the better it works when you are out in the boonies, I am a Lot. The big provider in this area recomends the Moto V55 as it has enough battery to work all the towers plus there is an external antenna jack, that is good for almost two more bars on the S-meter.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 23, 2006 12:48      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mrs Grummash has a RAZR, and loves it. Sounds good, looks ok, probably less robust than her earlier Samsung 'flip' phones. It is only good for talking and texting though - the menus stink and all the functions have stoopid names and they are all in the wrong place and they don't work in the same way as other phones and the manual is no bloody use....

</rant>

I'm happy with my Sony Ericsson T610 [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2006 17:45      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over the last few years I've switched all our phones to T-Mobile. It's not because I particularly like t-mobile (but they do have pretty cheap family plans, which counts a lot when you have 5 phones). What sold me is that they are GSM. This allows me to buy unlocked GSM phones that meet MY needs rather than what the phone company wants to sell me.

For example, the LG Chocolate is a really pimped phone - but only Verizon has it. Unless you have T-Mobile or Cingular service and want to just buy one from a web dealer. If you don't mind parting with $400USD for it, it's yours.

Yesterday, I walked into a t-mobile shop and bought a pre-paid SIM card to put in an old Motorola tri-band phone. I want that becuase I'm going to Eastern Europe 3 times in the next 3 months and I want a phone to take with me that I don't mind losing. When I finish travelling, I will slip the SIM card into a Trolltech QTopia phone.

I guess my point is that GSM service allows you to separate cost and coverage from your telephone. The two should really are orthogonal choices, it's just the telco's don't want you to see it that way.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2006 18:33      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Motorola 'phones have a poor reputation for reliability and build quality here, and as others have pointed out the software is poorly designed. Sony Ericcson 'phones are perhaps not the most stylish but they are robust, the software is good and they work well with Macs, if that matters to you. I have an old T630 and it does everything I need. LG 'phones are well spoken of too, (by David Pogue amongst others).

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2006 19:48      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH yes, and I should have also said, chalk me up for being an LG cell phone fan. Both Amanda and I have LG phones, and they work. It's that simple.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2006 13:51      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have to agree with most of you.

The Razr is a horrible phone. I'll give you the fact that it's pretty but it just doesn't work. The Razr V5 (IIRC) is going to have VTC capabilities, Streaming video and all sorts of other shit but the Interface/GUI is just shitty.

Its Samsung lookalike however, is an amazing phone. I have owned both and the Blade is by far the superior phone.

The Katana is also a great phone. I'm about to upgrade to either that or a Treo

canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2006 17:59      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok.... narrowed it down to either the Samsung A900, or the Starcom 6700.

Price isn't really an issue... because I can get the samsung for $150, and the starcom for $200.

I think I'll keep researching and wait to hear frrom Capn' on the starcom (BTW, can you let me know how the battery life on it is?)

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2006 22:46      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been running the starcom 6700 for a few days now, I like the Windows feel it has, the menues are easy to navigate. It, like many has some programmable hot buttons. It has one touch web launcher and one touch audio memo buttons. The camera at 1.3MP blows most others out of the water and has a macro setting and a fucking spotlight built in. The sound quality is much better than the Treo I had before. Windows Active sync works well with Outlook (at work) And you can download tons of apps, ring tones and skins. So far I like it lots.

Battery life is great, I have only charged it once. But I'm not a big chatter either.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2006 23:14            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aw, it's a Windows phone. I was hoping it would turn out to be Symbian OS :)

I figure that pocket Windows finally works?

IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2006 04:43      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
I have been running the starcom 6700 for a few days now, I like the Windows feel it has, the menues are easy to navigate. It, like many has some programmable hot buttons. It has one touch web launcher and one touch audio memo buttons. The camera at 1.3MP blows most others out of the water and has a macro setting and a fucking spotlight built in. The sound quality is much better than the Treo I had before. Windows Active sync works well with Outlook (at work) And you can download tons of apps, ring tones and skins. So far I like it lots.

How's the phone capabilities?
IE:
Reception
call's sound quality
menus (call log, contacts, etc.)

Oh, and if anyone has the samsung A900, how's the battery life on it?

Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2006 05:57      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by canadiangeek:
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:

How's the phone capabilities?
IE:
Reception
call's sound quality
menus (call log, contacts, etc.)

Oh, and if anyone has the samsung A900, how's the battery life on it?

I'm a big talker, I live and work on my phone. It's all I have (my A900) and I have to charge it everyday. Sometimes twice.

It isn't the best battery life I've seen, but def. Not the worst.

If you get it, get an extra charger and a car charger with it. You'll use it if you use your phone anything like I do.

Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2006 22:06      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine said that he dropped his Razr in the sink and it stil worked perfecty, as well as having great Blue Tooth capabilities.

However, the 'zoom' for the camera sucks.

Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Titanium Warrior
Alpha Geek
Member # 1885

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2006 09:55      Profile for Titanium Warrior   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by canadiangeek:
Ok.... narrowed it down to either the Samsung A900, or the Starcom 6700.

Price isn't really an issue... because I can get the samsung for $150, and the starcom for $200.

I think I'll keep researching and wait to hear frrom Capn' on the starcom (BTW, can you let me know how the battery life on it is?)

I know of two experiences with the Starcom 6700 from work and my IT dept. We were looking at them for replacing some of our field Blackberrys. This is the initial feedback on it

Great interface, software/OS is very nice and integration with our Enterprise server is really nice. The slid out keyboard is a really nice touch, however of the three users that tested it, two of them hated the screen being sideways (not sure why, my be something to do with phone operations). Outlook is definitely nice on this unit. It is EVDO ready so nice and FAST. Also has Bluetooth and WiFi, also nice touches. Mini SD card for storage is a nice touch too.

The downsides are that it's big and clunky feeling. The form factor feels cheap and in our case no smaller than a blackberry. Depending on your plan, EVDO can be very expensive, and roaming charges in the US will set you back around $8 per MB. Although this unit was supposed to be for the owner of the company I work for, it wouldn't have been an issue. Check your Dataplans to ensure you're not paying a lot. Another friend of mine has the starcom and loves it. He has no complaints about it at this stage and he uses it strictly for personal use (mostly to keep his email and msn on him at all times).

I can't say if I recommend it or not, but it seems to be a relatively good choice. Size is the biggest factor.

Cheers
-TiW

--------------------
I used to have super powers until my therapist took them away.

Posts: 333 | From: Victoria, BC Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2006 05:03      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not going to be subscribing to EVDO right now (not a problem since this unit has wi-fi), so the cost of it isn't an issue.

For me, this unit will be first and foremost a phone, so I'm more concerned about the call quality (sound, reception, etc.)

I've also heard some people say that it has caused their calls to be dropped. (although I'm not sure if that was the phone, or their carrier.)

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture