homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Flash Drive isn't recognized after waking up from sleep

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Flash Drive isn't recognized after waking up from sleep
CoffeeSmack
Mini Geek
Member # 3937

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2006 16:52      Profile for CoffeeSmack         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Much like Stevenback7's problem with his USB devices, my G4 doesn't want to recognize my Kingston flash drive, specifically after my computer comes out of Sleep mode. The big difference, of course, is that I'm running OSX, not WinXP, so the solution may or may not be entirely different.

Here's the situation: The flash drive is typically plugged into a Belkin USB 2.0 hub, which is in turn, plugged into a Sonnet Allegro USB 2.0 PCI card. If i start up my computer and plug the drive into this arrangement the volume shows up on my desktop and everything is dandy. However, if I put the computer to sleep and later wake it up, the drive no longer mounts. In fact, the indicator lights on the drive and hub do not even light up.

I've narrowed this problem to the PCI card, but I don't know how to fix it. If I plug the flash drive directly into the PCI card, I get the same result (i.e. no volume on my desktop). However, if I plug the drive into a regular USB 1.1 port hardwired into the back of my system everything works fine but without the speed of USB 2.0.

What drives me crazy about this is that other devices (like my printer) work fine plugged into the same PCI USB 2.0 card. However, a Compact Flash card reader I have will not work whether it is plugged into the hub or the PCI card directly.

Finally, I should mention that this is a new problem. I've used the Flash Drive in conjuction with the hub and PCI card in the past and it hasn't been a problem. For all I know this has been caused by an OS update (10.4.7?!) or a security update, or neither. I've tried the usual remedies: repairing permissions, resetting PRAM, and basically anything Tiger Cache Cleaner/OnyX/Xupport have to offer. However, nothing has worked. For now I have to either use a USB 1.1 port or restart the whole system.

Anybody got any ideas?

Posts: 62 | From: Mount Joy, PA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2006 17:48      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CoffeeSmack_____________________________Have you checked Sonnet for new extensions? I would guess that it would be there. Have you tried unseating and reseating the card? Haw you tried a different PCI slot?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
CoffeeSmack
Mini Geek
Member # 3937

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2006 09:02      Profile for CoffeeSmack         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just yesterday I removed and re-inserted the card, although it was the same slot. I should try putting it in a different one...

I have already checked Sonnet's website for updates (although I wasn't expecting to see any, since it's USB and nothing exotic). Unfortunately they only have drivers available for OS9 issues, and none of them address my particular problem anyway.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2006 09:55      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CoffeeSmack_________________________If you have the memory thingy stuck into the keyboard or any extra USB port I know they are all slow does it still behave badly or only when through the sonnet port or the hub ports?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
CoffeeSmack
Mini Geek
Member # 3937

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2006 20:44      Profile for CoffeeSmack         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The flash drive works beautifully in any other USB port built into my system (the two existing ports are 1.1). The drive plugged into the hub also works when the two are plugged into the USB ports - they only experience problems when plugged into the PCI USB expansion card.

The flash drive does not work, however, when plugged into the extra USB port on my keyboard because it requires more power than can be supplied to it through the keyboard. This is to be expected, so it doesn't surprise me - OSX even warns me that there isn't enough power for the device.

The hub I use does have a power adapter, although it's only needed for certain devices, and I've never had to use it for the flash drive. Even if I plug in the power adapter with the hub hooked into the PCI card my system still doesn't recognize that I've tried to use the flash drive. So... the point is plugging any configuration of these devices into the PCI card after waking from Sleep doesn't work - no recognition from the system at all!

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2006 04:17      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CoffeeSmack________________________So all of your USB devices work correctly when plugged into the v1.1 ports? However they do not when plugged into the sonnet v2 ports in a PCI slot. Move the card to a different slot if possible to see if things get better or consider it borked.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2006 17:34      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just one little comment Coffee

Does your hub have a little Bus/External power switch? (mine has little tiny one hidden underneath...) Point is my hub refused to recognise a whole load of things even though the external power was plugged in becuase I hadn't flicked the secret little hidden switch... :/

Just a thought...

BTW my 1.99 unpowered 4 port mini hub will satisfactorily handle my USB Key, Web Camera, Fuji Digi Cam and a whole slew of other peripherals (not necessarily all at the same time though) but my (alledgedly optionally) powered hubs will have none of them unless actually externally powered and switched to same where needed...

Seems to me most so called "optionally" powered hubs are no such thing... without external power they just dont work properly.

Also FWIW I found that (on my Mac at least) some USB 2.0 devices work more reliably if plugged in via the usb 1 hub than direct to the Mac's USB 2 ports (go figure...)

And yes all my stuff is bang up to the minute (patches, firmware, etc. - in fact I am an update junkie)

[Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
CoffeeSmack
Mini Geek
Member # 3937

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2006 20:44      Profile for CoffeeSmack         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alas, no power switch on the hub. I wish it were that simple. Even if there were a switch that would mean the hub never worked at all unless I turned it on.

My problem on the other hand, is that the PCI USB2 card (because that seems to be the problem) only recognizes the hub/flash drive upon first starting up the computer. Putting the computer to sleep and waking it up to use the hub or flash drive results in not recognizing either device.

I'm going to try TheMoMan's advice and move the PCI card to a different slot. And while I'm hopeful, I'm not ruling out buying another expansion card. But I'm miffed because I just moved and I last thing I need to be spending money on is something that should work fine in the first place!

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2006 03:34      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CoffeeSmack_______________________________I am not sure but years ago I was using a UMAX SuperMac 603 at like 300. I had put a USB card into a PCI slot, its operation was very flaky, I believe because of OS9 and old world. Any way someone from this board told me to take back the USB card as they claimed that it would not work.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture