homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Making Mail forget it's past

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Making Mail forget it's past
K7LU
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5562

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted August 15, 2006 06:13      Profile for K7LU     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question about Apple's mailer under OS X. This thing seems to have a hard time forgetting about past outgoing mail servers. Currently, all e-mail accounts are configured with the same outgoing server. Still, Mail has stored, somewhere, the addresses for outgoing servers of former ISP's. And what's worse, it always tries one that is no longer valid (and fails) first. The bottom line is that I'm always dealing with the mailer complaining that it can't send the message and then having to select the proper server from the list. Not a really big deal, but it gets annoying after a while (and it's been going on for years.) Can someone tell me what file I might edit/delete or whatever to make Mail forget that these old outgoing servers ever existed (and thus stop attempting to use them.) I don't care if I end up having to reconfigure my e-mail accounts since I'm now in the midst of a relocation that is going to force a change of ISP anyway. Now is the perfect time to fix this problem. Someone please tell me how.

-Scott

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted August 15, 2006 08:48      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this same problem, and it took me a while to find out where to delete a mail server... it's not in the most obvious spot.

Check out Preferences/Account information tab, then select the pop up menu Outgoing Mail Server (SMPT). At the bottom of the menu's list is the choice Edit Server List. From there you can delete old mail servers.

OK, hope that helps. [Smile]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2006 09:10      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
K7LU______________________Welcome to the forums please post often.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
K7LU
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5562

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted August 15, 2006 09:50      Profile for K7LU     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy,

I thought I'd looked everywhere, but there it was, right where you said it would be. Old servers are long gone! MANY THANKS!

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture