homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » motherboard static problem!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: motherboard static problem!
zeusxp
Newbie Larva
Member # 5542

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted August 09, 2006 22:55      Profile for zeusxp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok a few weeks ago there was a storm and a blackout in my area, a few hours later when i turned on my computer non of my usb ports work (mouse, keyboard, cam)they were all out!. now windows tells me that everything is fine with the usb ports it just won't detect anything. i reinstall all drivers did every troubleshooter i could find, i've pluged my cam in another computer and is fine. so i connected an extra set of usb on my motherboard but they don't seem to work neither. now i think is the power supply which got fried and not my motherboard
(at least i like to think that)so tomorrow i'll buy a power suplly to try and solve the problem, if not then i'll have to buy a new motherboard [Mad]

--------------------
joel

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 09, 2006 23:02      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hrm... if your computer is booting and Windows is saying hi, then why are you getting a new power supply? Obviously you still have power; you just don't have working USB ports.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
zeusxp
Newbie Larva
Member # 5542

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted August 09, 2006 23:31      Profile for zeusxp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
because some parts of the power suply might be burned or something

i don't wanna buy a new motherboard..
am a cheap bastard...i know

--------------------
joel

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2006 00:10      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So let me get this straight. Your computer turns on, boots, and is fully functional except for the USB ports, so you're going to WASTE money on buying a power supply instead of buying what you actually need? Sheesh! [Mad]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
zeusxp
Newbie Larva
Member # 5542

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted August 10, 2006 00:18      Profile for zeusxp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ur probably right but i still want to try it and even if it doesn't work i can easily return it to the store and buy the motherboard then....
i already have my eyes on the latest MSI motherboard

--------------------
joel

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2006 00:21            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do devices that take their power from USB come on? Do you have any USB devices that you know show a power light when plugged in regardless of whether they're able to talk to the motherboard?

Power supplies do have a whole variety of rails to different parts of the board, even my old 8-bitter from 1981 has three I think; whether one of them specifically feeds USB I don't know, but it stands to reason that USB would get a rail or two.

Though in theory, you should be able to spike any part of the machine that is connected to the wall. Whether spikes pass through a powered down transformer coil, I don't know, since those should require AC to operate, but they'll certainly pass through it when it's running. However, note also that on many modern machines, the motherboard is always partially powered when the machine is plugged in at the wall. This allows for the likes of wake on LAN, software power etc. So parts of the motherboard could definitely be dead, and that may well include USB.

I figure the only safe parts are those on the far side of a relay, I imagine that includes all the fans, drives etc. I guess they're all soft-switched via the power manager on the motherboard.

(In the case of my PC, the power switch seems to be a self-latching relay, I guess it doesn't have software power at all. Sometimes, such a relay can fail to latch and as soon as you let go of the power button it switches off again :)

IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2006 00:25            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonwyyn: A funny tale. A friend purchased a whole stash of parts and assembled himself a new PC. It would not come on. I think the lights and fans came on, but the BIOS would not run.

Figuring the motherboard was dead, he sent it back and got a replacement. No dice.

OK, a dead CPU? Sent the CPU back, got a replacement. No dice.

Finally, he realised that the reset button in the new case was jammed in, preventing the motherboard from activating.

Sometimes it's just not obvious. And I do think zeus may have a point, if the USB rail on the PSU has fried. In IT it's surprising how often you get surprised by what's really going on.

IP: Logged
zeusxp
Newbie Larva
Member # 5542

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted August 10, 2006 00:39      Profile for zeusxp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow...i though i lost all hope. thanks alot uilleann
i will post my results later on today..

--------------------
joel

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2006 04:02      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK for those of you who do not know, Here are the basics of hardware troubleshooting.

Remove all devices from your computer except what is required to boot. (powersupply, motherboard, monitorm w/ video card, RAM, keyboard, mouase)

See if your computer boots.

If it does, add the other devices one by one until you have your problem.

If it does not, switch out parts one at a time. (for this step it helps if you have many computers)

That is all, the basics of hardware troubleshooting.

Only buy a new part if you know what is broken, unless you want an excuse to blow a wad of cash on some hot new item.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2006 04:52      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
zeusxp________________Ashitaka I have to agree with you in part. Zeus have you used the start up dialog screens that the Bios stores? (F1,Tab,control S) or some other combo that your Bios uses to get into setup for boot. If your arrow keys and or What ever keys work to get into setup then it is most probably an OS problem.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2006 07:58      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lemme take that one step better Ashitaka...unplug *everything* but the mains.

Yes, the computer will be rather bloody hard to use if you don't have any input devices, but it's enough to see it successfully POST.

True story: We had a computer that just wouldn't boot. First thought: "It's the hard drive." Bring unit back to office...put new HD in it - it works. Bring it back...nothing doing. "Maybe it's the power?" (but it worked in our office) Go to office with a voltmeter (relatively OK). Change it anyway? Sure. Still...no dice. Still...works in our office...not the one in question. Finally, the light bulb goes off: What's the difference between this office and ours? Unplug all peripherals. It booted successfully.

What was it? It was the fscking mouse - a tired old PS2 mouse. We hung that mouse on the wall for years as a reminder - sometimes the stuff you never expect to be the problem...is the source of all your troubles.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture