homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Free online file storage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Free online file storage
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2006 12:38      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, can anyone recommend a free online file dump. A friend is looking to store word docs, pics etc so that she can access them from anywhere on the intarweb (she isn't overly concerned about security). I recalled a service called Xdrive that was free now it seems to me owned by AOL and it is a pay service.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2006 13:06      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could always rename the files to "HOTNAKEDCHICKS!111111!!.jpg" and upload them on limewire or something...

But seriously folks... maybe try box.net?

Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2006 14:38      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As much as everyone hates geocities, if you have a Yahoo! account you get 15MB of free storage for whatever you want to upload there.

While you're at it, and since you already have the Yahoo! account, you can use their Flickr service to store all pictures.

I also use the file storage at LiveJournal a lot, and since I have a Gmail account with large amounts of memory, I email myself files and save them for future retrieval.

Just some ideas.

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2006 15:48      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tell her to get a gmail account and just mail them to it. 2+ GB is better than she's going to find for free web space.

If she's looking to put them somewhere to link to them, she can get webspace from google too at pages.google.com which is slightly limited in that I believe it only allows you to have 100 files.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 09, 2006 19:04      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or if she uses Windows get the G Drive File Extension, it lets you use a Gmail Account as file storage [Wink]
Posts: 193 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2006 13:34      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Maggs:
Or if she uses Windows get the G Drive File Extension, it lets you use a Gmail Account as file storage [Wink]

works, but too damn slow for file transfers

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2006 14:06            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I've said this before, but, I get saddened by the growing expectation that everything should be free. You want a way to take files around? Should you buy a USB stick? No, you expect someone to go out of their way to provide access to your files anywhere for free. What is with this?

I suppose if she's willing to put up with all the adverts put there to cover the bandwidth, fine. The real question is, where can she find a service to grant access to files anywhere? If it so happens some company has provided it for free, good, but otherwise, it just seems unfair to keep expecting so much for free.

IP: Logged
Jessycat

Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2006 14:26      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second (third?) BW & fs's Gmail suggestions.
Works great for me.

Posts: 491 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2006 20:03      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Maggs:

If I recall correctly, there was something similar for linux that used the userland filesystem extensions and some python scripts.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Skuly1775
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5549

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2006 19:04      Profile for Skuly1775     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.netfast.org/

Been using it for a few months now and every thing seems to be fin.. only 200mb sorage but it comes with a sql db so you can either use it for storage or setup a website.

Posts: 2 | From: Granite City, IL, USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2006 22:04      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2006 15:24      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
I know I've said this before, but, I get saddened by the growing expectation that everything should be free. You want a way to take files around? Should you buy a USB stick? No, you expect someone to go out of their way to provide access to your files anywhere for free. What is with this?

I suppose if she's willing to put up with all the adverts put there to cover the bandwidth, fine. The real question is, where can she find a service to grant access to files anywhere? If it so happens some company has provided it for free, good, but otherwise, it just seems unfair to keep expecting so much for free.

So you wouldn't mind coughing up a few bucks to regain super fandom on GC then, would ya? [Wink]

Anyhow, I hooked her up with: http://mediamax.streamload.com

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2006 15:28      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
Tell her to get a gmail account and just mail them to it. 2+ GB is better than she's going to find for free web space.

Oh good, I'm not the only one who uses my gmail as an online storage bin!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2006 15:42      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:
Originally posted by fs:

Oh good, I'm not the only one who uses my gmail as an online storage bin!
I store over 500 MB in my Gmail account
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2006 17:01            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cap'n: The idea has crossed my mind, but since I am not supposed to be here, especially after I said I'd not be, I will have to see what happens, the future is an unwritten book.
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2006 17:15      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann wrote:
the future is an unwritten book.

I have an advance review copy. There are some really good bits, but the ending sucks.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2006 18:09            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
:P
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2006 00:18      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Priceless Steen!

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2006 09:15      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:Oh good, I'm not the only one who uses my gmail as an online storage bin!
Some people not only use it for storage, they've drunk the Kool-Aid and are using it as a
virtual local drive

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2006 12:01      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I drank the Kool Aid and store almost 2 Gigs of a drive image there.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture