homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » USB problems

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: USB problems
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2006 19:50      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tried to live with this problem, but now it is just freaking annoying.

My problem, is that my computer won't recognize several of my usb devices including (my mp3 player, my brothers mp3 player, and my usb thumb drive). I've tried several things including updating drivers, firmware, windows itself, reformating my computer, etc but nothing seems to work. Now today i read that i can go into disk managment and delete a drive in order for windows to sort itself out again but i have no idea how to do that and don't want to mess up my pc.

Now the interesting thing is that the usb ports do work for things like my printer, mouse, and keyboard but not for the devices i only plug in when needed. also there is a rare occasion that the device is recognised for some reason even though i didn't do anything different then the other 100 times.

So does anyone have any links or advice on how to fix this problem.

p.s. my computer is up to date with all windows update and all the device updates.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 03:57      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This sounds like you are running windows millenium.

If you have reformatted, then reinstalled XP, and your USB stll doesn't work, it is a hardware problem.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 04:16            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, my Dell XP box at work stopped being able to mount my camera, it would connect and show the eject icon in the tray, but no drives would appear. I also found that after I renamed the card inside the camera from "SANVOL" to something cute under Mac OS X, Mac OS X would continue reading it as normal but Windows 2000 would no longer see the camera as being a USB Mass Storage device and started asking for a driver.

As for reinstalling Windows, that for me is the very, very, very last resort and does not bear thinking about. Aside from trying to back up an entire drive, I then have to trawl the Registry for all the various settings I don't want to lose -- things like all my FTP bookmarks, custom file associations, and all my Windows colour schemes (in 2000 these have to be manually pulled from the Registry and re-inserted, XP lets you save them as regular files).

Thus I never accept a reinstall as the answer to anything.

IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 04:41      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am with Ullieann, re-installing windows does seem a bit extreme for this situation...

I would first of all start by tralling through the FAQ's and calling the technical desk for the items you speak of, increadbly boring I know, but you may find somthing usefull, I would take that step before going to the extreme of re-installing windows [Smile]

Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 04:46      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rebuild.

Update.

Upgrade.

Install drivers.

Live in Hell with MicroShit!

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 04:48      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann, I take the a completly different approach to solving all my computer problems. I have over 500 gigs of hard drive space but keep my operating systems on 10 gig drives. If anything happens I don't like, I zero fill the drive and reinstall my OS. I do this about once a month. It keeps everything running great wether it be linux or XP. This way your system never gets cluttered with old drivers that might not interact well and is alot cheaper than purchasing an expensive virus program.

As for the USB question at hand, I have never heard of USB not funtioning with a brand new install of XP. It's simple plug and play. Older versions of windows cannot handle hot swapping. This seems like what stevenbacks problem is. Unless he come here and tell us he has XP freshly installed. In which case I guess I would have to eat my words if it turns out to be a software problem on the side of windows.

post scriptum

Did he not state he has already tried reinstalling and that this did not work?

Stevenback, what is with that 1810 x 1666 picture in your profile. Scale it down.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 06:04      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were problems at my school with windows XP not liking drive letters. If you have a lot of drives, then the A: B: C: thing can get a bit messy. Specifically, USB drives are often mapped by default to D: E: F: M: or whatever.

This results in USB drives trying to be M: (or whatever), but failing, as there is already a drive mapped to that letter.

I can't remember exactly how to do it (and I don't have a PC handy), but if you fiddle with the settings in the control panel, you can remap your drives to different letters. You should find two volumes with the same drive letter, or one blank.

Reassign this, and your problems may melt away.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 06:09      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
littlefish makes a good point (though it seems less likely to be your case if /none/ of them are working.

For his case, right-click "My Computer" and choose Manage. Then, go into the Disk Management panel, choose the drive, right-click it, and pick "Change Drive Letter..."

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 08:52      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks i will try the disk managment thing. Also another thing which i forgot to mention was that sometimes when i plug in one of my usb devices the screen messes up (the whole screen becomes a maze of lines) and the only way to get it back to normal is to restart the computer.

Yes i know reformating is a desperate measure. But since something might of messed up during the initial reformat then it was worth a shot.

I decided to contact windows and they will be sending me a response in 24 hours. As for the internet and help and support i haven't found very much which can help me. I've only found other forums where they recomended re-mapping the drives. But as for what i've seen it only works for half the ppl with the same problem.

Thanks for the advice so far.

--------------------

ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 09:30      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assuming that registry keys may be causing problems, you could run Registry Mechanic http://www.pctools.com/downloads/rminstall.exe and hope it fixes something or gives you a clue to what's not right.

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 10:41      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve, do you run XP?

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 11:18      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't windows recognize the device or doesn't see it at all? After plugging the device, go to device manager and check to see if there's a yellow sign near the device.

If there's a yellow sign it's a software problem. If the device doesn't even appear in the list, it's definitely a hardware problem.

You may also try botting with a live linux cd and see if it works.

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 12:11      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ashitaka _________ yes i run xp home edition with service pack 2

Ugurcan _________ most of the time it says it is an unkown device in device manager. But sometimes it won't even recognize the usb device. And sometimes it does recognize it but then when attempting to put something on the device a script write error apears half way through. And sometimes the computers screen will just mess up. But there hasn't been any signs beside the device in device manager.

I don't want to boot linux on this pc because its my main computer and i don't want to risk loosing all the info. And i don't want to back everything up either.

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 12:27      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
uilleann, I take the a completly different approach to solving all my computer problems. I have over 500 gigs of hard drive space but keep my operating systems on 10 gig drives. If anything happens I don't like, I zero fill the drive and reinstall my OS. I do this about once a month. It keeps everything running great wether it be linux or XP. This way your system never gets cluttered with old drivers that might not interact well and is alot cheaper than purchasing an expensive virus program.

That's an awful lot of time per year to be wasting reinstalling operating systems.

*hugs linux*

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 09, 2006 10:15      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow microsoft online support is crap. I sent them an email about my problem and explained in detailed everything what was wrong. They then ask me for my Windows registration number. And all they can give me for advice is go to the computer manufacturer's website for support or call windows. Which is just bs because i thought windows wanted to become more technologically advanced and not make me call them.

Also the company which i bought my pc from is probally long dead and there website is just pointless.

--------------------

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 09, 2006 13:34      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steven,

Try purchasing a PCI USB2.0 card. I have a feeling that it is probably the hardware itself that is causing your grief.

They go cheap and the difference between 2.0 and 1.1 is tremendous. (Note: I am assuming that this is a low-buck beige box from what you have written)

On a side note. Microsoft will only handle Microsoft issues, not the hardware vendor issues. That is very common. And I do not blame them for that. There are way too many variables to go around trying to support all of the companies that build stuff that is "supposedly" compatible with Windows.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture