homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Salary question...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Salary question...
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2006 15:23      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys, I'm getting hired as a database migrator/admin/programmer, and I'd like some advice on salary.

What's a decent hourly wage for someone with the above skills? Now take into account that I'm working for an older friend of mine who I have interned with before. What should I ask?

The job itself is a database migration/integration and report generator. If I take this as a contract, what would that usually net you guys?

Thanks for the responses!

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2006 15:51      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um...your post doesn't actually suggest that you have any skills at all...just what you're being hired to do.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2006 16:35      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As dman said, it depends on your skillset (and your location!)
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2006 17:30      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for the 'me too!' post, but I have to reiterate -- it depends on the role -- junior, intermediate, senior? Location? How long have you been doing it? How good are you at it.. etc.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2006 23:52      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This would be a one-time thing-- do the job, and done. Maybe help them out a little bit later on if something goes terribly wrong or dramatically changes afterwards, but most likely a one-shot.

Skills? I thought the job description said it all. Well, if you want an abbreviated version of my resume...

• More than four years experience with C/C++ and Java
  • Three years experience with Perl and Python
  • Four years experience with *nix system administration, intermittent experience with Windows Server 2000 and 2003.
  • Two years database programming experience, including MySQL, Postgres, and writing interfaces

This will be my first 'real' job. All the skills mentioned above are true... I just haven't tested my metal on a 'real' project.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2006 02:37      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slight nitpick: It's "test my mettle," not "test my metal." Just a bit of a difference there. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2006 08:54      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what that would cost in MT, but I would probably ask for between $20-$30/hour for something like that... maybe a bit more depending on your current level of education.

But then, I also have trouble figuring out what to ask for.

(That range works out to $41,600 to $62,400 per year, assuming a 40 hour work week 52 weeks per year. It helps to do this conversion so you can compare with average salaries).

*Edit: MO is Missouri. MT is Montana. Whoops.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2006 08:54      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Slight nitpick: It's "test my mettle," not "test my metal." Just a bit of a difference there. [Big Grin]

Hey now...just because he's Borg doesn't mean you need to go insulting him... [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2006 16:21      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:

Hey now...just because he's Borg doesn't mean you need to go insulting him... [Wink]
I hate to go all 'Occams Razor' on you dman, but it may just be that he has a gravelly voice

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2006 07:50      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

It's getting dangerously close to "taste my meat".
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2006 19:23      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did someone just say "metal?"

-

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 04:36      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the way GC topics can be turned into somthing compleatly different so quickly [Smile]
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 8 posted August 07, 2006 20:12      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

But not much.

Mettle and metal were both acceptable spelling for the same word until the early 18th century.

The split occured concurent with what is now known as the rise of the "meddlesome grammar teachers," individuals who until this epoch were routinely burned as "witches."

Having their time set free from tests of fire and drowning, the people formerly known as "witches," returned to what they knew best: bothering people for no goddamned reason (which is why they were burned at the stake in the first place).

As soon as this freedom became commonplace, the "witches" gathered at an international convention to nominate words that would drive ordinary people nuts, while making the "witches" feel better than everybody else. The top nominee coming from this convention in 1704 was the now infamous "metal/mettle" division/diversion.

The phrase, "Test one's metal," comes from the martial arts at a time when the artists wielded some very heavy metal, like swords. If your sword was of inferior founding and craft, it would shatter and the individual wielding it would, more often than not, die defenseless.

Of course, a test of this nature would also be a test of an individual's courage, or the "metal" of which a combatant was made. Hence a wonderful phrase with a courageous history was born. And, that's just the thing the bugs the crap out of meddlesome old ladies. So they up and changed it for no good reason at all.

All of this is why I firmly believe those who meddle with mettle ought to face a true test of metal.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 12 posted August 07, 2006 20:17            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe [Applause]
IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 20:20      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
The split occured concurent with what is now known as the rise of the "meddlesome grammar teachers," individuals who until this epoch were routinely burned as "witches."

These would be the same meddlesome grammar teachers who invented the rule against prepositions at the end of sentences, thus spawning the kind of contorted sentences up with which I will not put.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 4 posted August 07, 2006 20:32      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nerd,

You deserve $127,500 a year salary and not a dime less.

You mention you would be paid by a friend of yours. I would say if he offered less then he is no friend at all.

Your cry should be, "One twenty-seven, five or die!"

Shout it loud. Shout it proud. Nobody ever got anywhere being mousey about these things.

This is a true test of "metal" --as in the brass ones folks in the office will be saying you keep between your legs. And that is saying a lot more than having one's fine silk panties in a bunch, which is what most meddlesome retired grammar teachers keep between their legs.

Oh, btw, anything come of this and I get 15%,

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 20:38            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm, I'd suggest $131,072.

Think about it.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 20:57      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
Hm, I'd suggest $131,072.

Think about it.

Very nice one! I think I'd shift it to the right twice, though. [Wink]

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 21:26            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You want to get paid less?
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2006 03:42      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to shift to the left twice [Wink]
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2006 05:44      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

That depends: Big endian or little endian? [Smile]
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2006 06:05      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

No, I want /him/ to get paid less. [Wink] Leaves more money in the budget for me. [Big Grin]

I'll take a shift or 6 to the left, thank you very much. [Razz]

--------------------

Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2006 06:39      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to salaryexpert.com And they said between $59k & $127k for my neck of the woods.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2006 07:48      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
I went to salaryexpert.com And they said between $59k & $127k for my neck of the woods.

They are almost as precise as astrologers. [crazy]

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2006 09:08      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm. The free reports at SalarayExpert seem to be fairly useless. They don't seem to provide a way to browse for job titles they have on file. And when you finally stumble on a title that might relate to what you do you don't get a description to help confirm your choice until you go through their survey questions and get a salary report. And why does the cost of living for my area change depending on my title? When we bought our house we didn't settle on a price based on my title for His Noodly Goodness' sake!

By they way, why do "Software Developer - Designers" and "Software Developer - Leads" make less than "Software Developer - Associates" in my area? They don't seem to disclose sample size.

Anyway, if you're not working for my company then go ahead and ask for $150k or so to skew the averages up so the rest of us can petition for parity [Big Grin]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture