homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » 'Geek Squad?'

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 'Geek Squad?'
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2006 04:58      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope I don't get roasted bigtime for asking this.
I have recently been seeing Geek Squad logos everywhere. In commercials, on cars, on tee shirts...
Please tell who the hell they are before I go crazy !

Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2006 05:12      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are a company of mobile computer repairers I am led to believe... who may or may not actually be any good but get nice uniforms and smart cars IIRC.

Dem had some dealings with them I think, actually she might even have worked for them, might still do for all I know.

Anyway you can read their somewhat tongue in cheek website at
Geek Squad Website

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2006 05:36      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're a squad of computer geeks that are sent out by Best Buy (although I'm not sure if that's *entirely* true), and are a complete and utter rip off of 'nerds on site'.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2006 07:57      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Geek Squad 24 Hour Computer Support Task Force® was established to protect society from the assault of computer technology gone awry. (That, and to give us something to do, since we can’t land dates.) When Agents are not rooting out evil technology, they are offering technological guidance to all those who seek it—anytime, anywhere.
OMG...

Tounge in cheek... [thumbsup]

RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2006 04:56      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
They're a squad of computer geeks that are sent out by Best Buy (although I'm not sure if that's *entirely* true), and are a complete and utter rip off of 'nerds on site'.

I'm not sure that they are a total ripoff. Geek squad was started here in the Twin Cities by a college dropout in the ?early ?mid nineties. At first, he did mostly mac stuff, but then expanded his business to all types of computers and hired more people. The business grew to the point where a lot of people really took notice and he was bought out by Best Buy, which is also based here in Minnesota.
Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tirthas the Geek
Mini Geek
Member # 2864

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2006 08:40      Profile for Tirthas the Geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And as an aside, IIRC, part of their buyout deal states that Geek Squad operates autonomously within Best Buy, not as a part of Best Buy.

--------------------
I already used my best sig on Slashdot.

Posts: 92 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2006 11:20      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I was around and in the right place when Geek Squad started. Someone I used to work with did tech support for them. Of course even then they charged big dollars for: loading software, running scan disks, configuring hard drives, etc. But you have to make your money somehow.

Plus, they made house calls (in their distinctively painted cars) and that probably gave them the edge over a lot of competitors.

But yes, now they're a fixture at Best Buy. I guess that college dropout can now afford to go back to college. He used to appear on Minnesota Public Radio quite a bit.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2006 13:00      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
Dem had some dealings with them I think, actually she might even have worked for them, might still do for all I know.

Yup, I worked at the in-store Geek Squad in Cambridge for a few months, back when I was "in between real jobs." They treat their employees well and the people I worked with really knew their stuff. Most of the guys I worked with were in a similar situation as I was: fresh out of school and needing something on their resumes to give to IT groups and startups.

I didn't like the polyester clip-on ties, or the fact that we were stuck in a Best Buy, but the pay was good and I enjoyed the common rounds of "smash the hardware" in the back room. [Big Grin]

LinuxPhreak
Geek Apprentice
Member # 5033

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2006 18:37      Profile for LinuxPhreak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you ask me. The geek squad is worthless. I came there eaght different times. The first two I had a problem and they couldn't figure them out. I figured it out a week later. The rest of the time I just want to see what they would say or how they would respond.

--------------------
I am not important. No one is. To be important you need to make history your word must be important. Your inventions must be as equally important.

The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2006 16:49      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GeekSquad...I was told I should work there...but I know that I have 2 strikes against me...one is age and the other is lack of mac experiance...(but I can still make a Mac do what I want it to) I hope to remedy this but If work pays for me to take more classes I could care less about GS Ill independantly do even better repairs...

PS: does anyone know of a grid computing driver for Win 98 and 2k/xp or do I need to learn C++ and write my own. [devil wand] [evil] [devil wand] [Geek]

--------------------
The one and only "§†eal†h the Fallen One"...Between Your life And mine are Three realities, Yours, The real one, and Mine. They they form a bridge shapped in the letters D-O-_-N-O-T-_-C-R-O-S-S.

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture