homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Asking All Car Geeks... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Asking All Car Geeks...
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2006 11:33      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you had $30,000 to spend (CAD), what kind of car would you buy? Researching what I might want to get in a couple of years. Was thinking of a newer Corvette (previously owned):

-

I like the vette because it's supposed to have great handling, great power, looks sweet, and is best as an automatic (can't drive standard very well). Anything better than that out there?

Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 02, 2006 11:41      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honda Civic Hybrid

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2006 12:56      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of these, please!
[Smile] [Applause]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2006 13:09      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With gas at damn near $1.15CAD/L, I'm not sure a Corvette would be a viable/smart option, but to each his own I suppose.

If I were to get a brand new car right now, it'd be a 2006 Toyota Matrix XR 5-speed. Maybe the 6-speed XRS if they can keep the gas mileage ~40mpg.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2006 13:30      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
With gas at damn near $1.15CAD/L, I'm not sure a Corvette would be a viable/smart option, but to each his own I suppose.

If I were to get a brand new car right now, it'd be a 2006 Toyota Matrix XR 5-speed. Maybe the 6-speed XRS if they can keep the gas mileage ~40mpg.

Well, it's a summer car, so I'd only be driving it for half the year, then get a more efficient beater for the winter. Apparently they're not too bad on gas says others, but what the heck do I know?
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2006 13:48      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
One of these, please!
[Smile] [Applause]

Naw, too 'riced' out. Looking for something that has good horse power and will look and sound like it does too. Not really looking for something that looks like it's going to make that 'ring-bing-bing-baaaaaaaaa' sound...lol

A Trans-Am would be another good example of something I'm looking for. I've driven one before (awesome ride), but I felt so small in it and couldn't see everything around me! So I'm looking for more options.

Tirthas the Geek
Mini Geek
Member # 2864

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2006 13:55      Profile for Tirthas the Geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about 10 of these.... 80 mpg

Or just one and a lifetime of gas/oil/maintenance.

In all seriousness, $30k would get you a used WRX STI. And while it DOES look a little "riced," it's really fast, gets in the 20's for MPG and is AWD.

--------------------
I already used my best sig on Slashdot.

Posts: 92 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2006 14:04      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about a Subaru ?

Clan MacDruid has an Outback, and we're very happy with it, but if you're considering a Corvette, then the WRX is probably more to your liking. WRX's go like rockets, are not too thirsty, and the 4 wheel drive makes them very good on wet or icy roads.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2006 14:17      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can pick up one of these used. It's not "Riced out" looking. Sounds and looks more then awsome. Much much much better for mialage.

If you get a late model (Within the last 7 years) you can acctually pick one up for around 9k - 25k easy.

The ST2 (The best looking one they have IMO) Gets 42MPG (5.6 L/100km)

Not to mention sporty as all get out. And if it's just for the summer you'll save a ton on gas.

You are on a Geek site and every one is going to recomend something fule efficiant btw lol

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2006 14:58      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mel:
Looking for something that has good horse power and will look and sound like it does too.

Too bad. I would have suggested a Smart. It's fun to drive in its own way, plus you'd have some money left.

Otherwise, I've always been partial to SAABs when it comes to looks.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2006 16:14      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or this...

-

*drools*

I am gonna grow me a mullet and find my old Guess Who 8-tracks.

[Big Grin]

Edit: I am not so sure about the older A body (I think they were still called A bodies)*. The ones I see out here look very tired. It could be the area, but I notice a lot more paint and body issues on them, than a similar era Mustink.

You could just bite the bullet and pick up a nice late 60's Chevelle and toss in a big ol' Rat motor. Thumb your nose at the hybrids as you puke raw fuel at them. And thank them for conserving a little extra petrol for you. [Wink]

* Just looked it up. The last generation was an F Body.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2006 05:23      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have to go for one of these:

-

They even make one hell of a sweet cop car

-

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2006 07:08      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I was getting a car for summer and one for winter, then this is what I would drive.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2006 08:07      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am with quantumfluff on that, the lotus 7 is amazing shame thats a replica, but none the less, there great.
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2006 08:08      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
If I was getting a car for summer and one for winter, then this is what I would drive.

On that side of "car," there's the T-Rex one. But I believe they're only standard, and maybe over your price range.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2006 09:01      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$30K, eh?

With that I would get a (prime condition) 1968 VW Microbus and have it converted to (a) Ethanol or (b) gas/electric hybrid.

Now, that's me and my want for fuel economy.. if you want power and speed in a cool package, you could take one of those Mazda RX8 Wankel Rotary Engines and transplant it into the bus. Now your bus goes "hmmmmm" instead of "ratta-tatta-ratta-tatta" and has about 200 more ponies galloping in the rear hatch.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2006 09:23      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
Now, that's me and my want for fuel economy.. if you want power and speed in a cool package, you could take one of those Mazda RX8 Wankel Rotary Engines and transplant it into the bus. Now your bus goes "hmmmmm" instead of "ratta-tatta-ratta-tatta" and has about 200 more ponies galloping in the rear hatch.

You won't get a new RX8 for $30k CAD. They start at $35k CAD.
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2006 09:39      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

The ENGINE starts at $35k CAD?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2006 09:41      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
quote:
quote:

The ENGINE starts at $35k CAD?
No, the entire car. I'd imagine the engine is ~$10k CAD. But getting it without the car I bet would be a difficult task.
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2006 09:42      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CommanderShroom has the best idea of what I'm looking for. I can't ride a bike (mainly because I don't have the licence for it and also because I'd be scared to death of being hurt on one - I know many people who have been badly hurt on those), and Smart cars are just too small for me - if I get hit in one of those I can pretty much consider myself dead.

This car would be for pleasure and joy-riding, so I'm not too concerned about crazy fuel efficiency. It's not like I'm looking for a Hummer or something dumb on gas like that. My boyfriend's old 95 Trans Am was better on gas than a lot of other common cars.

I'm more of a fan of Dodge, Pontiac, Chevy, etc. Hondas, Fords, etc. don't do it for me. Anything that looks just way too strange I won't go for either.

Fuel efficiency aside, what would be a sweet ride?

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2006 09:48      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For $30k CAD, the Dodge Charger.

BOIOIOIOIOING.

Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2006 10:19      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mel:
(...) and Smart cars are just too small for me - if I get hit in one of those I can pretty much consider myself dead.

I beg to disagree. They have a security cage (the "tridion safety cell": you know, that second-color part that goes round the habitacle?) that is probably more solid than the ones built for rally and other "dirty" race cars. And then, the wheels are placed in such a way that they are used as impact buffers. And there are four air bags - front and side. See their security page for more info.

I readily admit that Smart cars aren't for everyone; they're not power cars and they can't carry more than two people. But there is no reason to dismiss them on safety purpose, as they are as secure as mid-sized cars. And they make heads turn in their own way, plus they have the advantage of being ready for winter road conditions.

Closer to your expectations, let me reiterate:

-
(Although you'd have to go for a used one, as a new one costs well over 50k$)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2006 10:54      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there some kind of website where I can find the quarter-mile times for different types of cars? Would like to compare speeds [Smile] (stock cars, no mods)
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2006 11:08      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Car & Driver has that info at the end of all their reviews.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2006 11:18      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've alwasy dug the Mustang Fastback. This '67 Shelby 500 will open a can of whoop ass on nearly anything, plus it is just fuckin' mean.

-

Any of the fastbacks looks sweet, the shelby versions (350's also) just add some more meat to the muscle.

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture