homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Pyramid scam

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pyramid scam
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted July 27, 2006 19:03      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I was eating by myself at a Wendy's on my lunch break one day when a lady sitting next to me starts up conversation. "You look like a young, successful lady," she tells me, "would you be interested in earning extra income and possibly being able to retire early?"

It is clear that she is involved in a pyramid scam of some sorts. She was extremely vague about what it does, but promised that I could practically pay my way through college by joining this "lucrative business opportunity." She only vaguely said something about buying items at Wal-mart, but provided no other details about this "business."

I have her name and her home phone number; I confirmed these as being accurate in the phonebook. What's worse, her address is listed as being at "trailer 31," and when she was talking to me she hoped that this "money-making opportunity" would let her retire soon (she appeared to be in her 70s).

I don't want to call her, but I need to report this somewhere before anyone else is dumb enough to fall for a scam. Does anyone know where I could report something like this?

It really takes a special kind of asshole to swindle old ladies out of their money, and then convince them to prey on high school students at a Wendy's. [Mad]

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
AntonTakk
Mini Geek
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 19:24      Profile for AntonTakk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the police and/or news, perhaps?

--------------------
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!' - Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posts: 83 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 23:21      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any one who honestly believes that a "Multinational company is seeking entrepreneurs" by sticking notes on the trees, deserves that treat. People who believe in those, are either extremely stupid or really have no other choice. [shake head]

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 04:33      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second that, But I see where you are coming from Supergoo, It is unfair,I guess but it works both ways round.
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 04:52      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had a couple friends that got caught up in the Telecommunications Company of Excel a subsidary of VarCom.

They sold phone plans and hired poeple to sell phone plans for them. It was a pretty interesting deal, the way they conducted business that is.

When I was in boot camp I had a friend who recieved a letter from this same company saying that they are going bankrupt and needed to layoff all of their "Junior business Reps".

http://w3.excel.com/2006/

YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 05:25      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go ahead and report this to the police but also to whatever consumer group or better business association that is in your town.

Remember though that there will always be someone falling for a new ponzi scheme. This one may be wiped away but there will be a hundred more to replace it. hahaha for fun look up ponzi in wikipedia. It is a very fascinating story about human nature, hope, stupidity and greed. If you really want to laugh find the marx brothers The Coconauts. It is all about the florida land rush in the 20's seen through Groucho Marx's genius.(interesting sidenote: He lost a fortune in Florida land so he was a participant in that scheme. It is also a scary reminder that land housing and credit bubbles have happened before)

Next time someone approaches you about a sure thing money making business opportunity perhaps you can educate them a little. Tell them to remember that if it was a legitamate business plan that was truly profitable no person would tell others,they would hug the idea all to their lonesome and rake in their money.

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 07:30      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never heard of a scam that involved *buying* things at Wal-Mart, but the *returning* things one is common.
- steal or gets a cashier to steal a roll of register tape
- shoplift stuff
- print fake receipts
- return the item with the fake receipt

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 13:07      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Police, What ever serves consumers there as BBB, also maybe look up consumer protection division servics for NC.

Lol, I see stuff like that all the time on campus. Half of it is poor fools on campus that were dragged into it.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
LoneWolf
Mini Geek
Member # 4966

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 14:28      Profile for LoneWolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should meet to gather more information before you report it. Do it safely though.

I've been approached like this a couple of times. They are very unwilling to discuss details of the "money making opportunity" until you meet them in person.

Me, I usually meet them, act very interested and at the last moment, say "sorry, not interested!"

Posts: 61 | From: Victoria BC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 04:04      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was it about magic cheese?
Because that's been shown to be fake.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
soulshine
Mini Geek
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 11:50      Profile for soulshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
Was it about magic cheese?
Because that's been shown to be fake.

Bollocks! I've just wasted £270 then.
Posts: 76 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2006 06:50      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A fool and his money are soon parted.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2006 07:45      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:

That's all well and good, but if people can do something to prevent innocent fools from being swindled, we should do so.

Even if you don't care about the hapless folks who fall for the scams, remember that your tax dollars will ultimately go into paying for the police to help investigate the cases, and towards assisting the people after they get scammed. If they don't get scammed in the first place, and useful information is passed on to LEAs, then maybe some taxpayer money can go to better causes...like blowing up sh*t in the M.East. [Wink]

(Last part said with tongue severely in cheek!)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2006 11:55      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:

That's all well and good, but if people can do something to prevent innocent fools from being swindled, we should do so.

Even if you don't care about the hapless folks who fall for the scams, remember that your tax dollars will ultimately go into paying for the police to help investigate the cases, and towards assisting the people after they get scammed. If they don't get scammed in the first place, and useful information is passed on to LEAs, then maybe some taxpayer money can go to better causes...like blowing up sh*t in the M.East. [Wink]

(Last part said with tongue severely in cheek!)

Yes, but if I had it my way, then all those police funds that're spent trying to catch the people would be automatically freed, because I would make them stop investigating cases where an average person would not have fallen for it.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
LinuxPhreak
Geek Apprentice
Member # 5033

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2006 08:52      Profile for LinuxPhreak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't report her. She seem old, and she might not be aware of what she has got herself into. Plus it is a pyramid scam. Which means she probably is not at the top. The best way to stop the pyramid is to get the top. Otherwise the pyramide will keep on going.

Plus I would report them, mostly becuase I think that it is there job. It is a job that I don't condone. But it is still the scammers job. It might be all the know how to do.

--------------------
I am not important. No one is. To be important you need to make history your word must be important. Your inventions must be as equally important.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture