homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » external hd recommendation?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: external hd recommendation?
hockeymachine
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5476

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 07:14      Profile for hockeymachine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am looking for a 250gb 7200rpm 16mb cache, external usb2+firewire (400). any recommendations on websites and/or brands, etc. am willing to build myself. 3.5"
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 07:22      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dont get a maxtor.

I've had 3 (250GB, 300GB, 500GB) external Maxtor drives and all 3 took a shit on me.

-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 07:46      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
dont get a maxtor.

I've had 3 (250GB, 300GB, 500GB) external Maxtor drives and all 3 took a shit on me.

www.demoniclemon.com/hell

haven't updated in a long time, 'cuz i haven't had any problems, 'cuz i don't use that brand any more

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
soulshine
Mini Geek
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 09:42      Profile for soulshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had a Freecom drive for a while now, which I ordered from www.dabs.com. Had no problems with it, and it's taken quite a pounding.

I placed my order on Sunday, it arrived Tuesday. Nothing but amazing service from this site in all my dealings, and they can have some good offers on too!

Posts: 76 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 09:55            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm, I like Dabs too actually.
IP: Logged
AntonTakk
Mini Geek
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 10:24      Profile for AntonTakk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seagate++

--------------------
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!' - Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posts: 83 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
hockeymachine
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5476

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 10:31      Profile for hockeymachine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are all prices on dabs listed in euros? I had looked at cases on supergooddeal.com? Anyone dealt with them? Any idea where to get a 250gb 16mb cache 7200rpm hard drive for good price?
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 16:16      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AntonTakk:
Seagate++

Another vote for Seagate... and against Maxtor! (Though be careful, because I think they just merged).

I used to work as a sysadmin / "the technical guy" for a small business, and the owners would insist on buying Maxtor HDs all the time. They would break, I would explain to them what went wrong this time, and they would just go back and buy more Maxtors! I don't think a single one lasted more than 18 months.

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 9 posted July 27, 2006 16:34      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Metasquares:
quote:
Seagate++

Another vote for Seagate... and against Maxtor! (Though be careful, because I think they just merged).

I used to work as a sysadmin / "the technical guy" for a small business, and the owners would insist on buying Maxtor HDs all the time. They would break, I would explain to them what went wrong this time, and they would just go back and buy more Maxtors! I don't think a single one lasted more than 18 months.

they HAVE merged

as of now, just about everything of seagate's that was on the shelf has sold
now that they took over M.., everything they make is as much crap as M.. i.e., tainted by teh evil
it's now a brand/company to stay away from [Frown]

it's as if a billion bits of data cried out at once...

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

AntonTakk
Mini Geek
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 16:56      Profile for AntonTakk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you never know, seagate might turn maxtor around

--------------------
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!' - Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posts: 83 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 17:14      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my experience the reverse happens - they all get dragged down to the lowest common denominator...

VW buying Skoda is about the only example I can think of where this was not the case

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 18:40      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
you never know, seagate might turn maxtor around

[Applause] [Big Grin] [crazy] [thumbsup]

that's pretty damn funny!!!

best post i've seen all week!!

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 19:59            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm, the drive I got for my sister's iMac at the beginning of the year is a Seagate, as is the one I put in my PC nearly 2 years ago.

I hope they don't die ... I've loved Seagates, they've worked well. The one on my 486 still works perfectly all these years on. My only beef is that the newer ones I've bought aren't as quiet as the one in my Mac, I guess I just got lucky since the PC and Mac both have a Barracuda 7200.7 but only the Mac's one is lovely and quiet. (Being a server, that helps)

I'm tempted to try Hitachi (i.e. IBM) next time I need a drive, but I don't know.

Buying drives is tough -- the one component you really don't want to fail. One day I want to get an external HD enclosure and finally have a decent back-up solution for the PC. Only, my important files are on the Mac :/ And so first I'd have to find a USB card that works on a StarMax. Or, and this is my latest speculation (no idea how reliable it is given the flakiness of the Finder) create a huuuuge disc image to drop all my files in to back up, and then unmount it and FTP it to the PC to burn to CD or copy to an external drive.

Hmm...

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 20:42      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maxtors are utter crap.

Personally, I'm partial to Western Digital and Seagate. I'd consider Hitachi, as IBM was said to do a good job establishing the tech...but I've heard some lukewarm comments about the quality of late.

I bought a nice Barracuda IV for my server some time ago, and never had any complaints. More recently (about a year ago), I bought an external WD 80 GB USB 2.0 HD, and it's great. I don't think I'd trust anything else. External drives tend to have cheap crap inside if not sold by an HD vendor (or LaCie), so I'll stick with a name I trust.

It kind of amuses me to see Maxtor drives die in my Dells...and when they send the replacement, it's always a Western Digital.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 21:17      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Maxtors are utter crap.

Personally, I'm partial to Western Digital and Seagate. I'd consider Hitachi, as IBM was said to do a good job establishing the tech...but I've heard some lukewarm comments about the quality of late.

I bought a nice Barracuda IV for my server some time ago, and never had any complaints. More recently (about a year ago), I bought an external WD 40 GB USB 2.0 HD, and it's great. I don't think I'd trust anything else. External drives tend to have cheap crap inside if not sold by an HD vendor (or LaCie), so I'll stick with a name I trust.

It kind of amuses me to see Maxtor drives die in my Dells...and when they send the replacement, it's always a Western Digital.

well, we have something to agree on 100%

word for word

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 22:32            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm, I have a friend in England (Disgusting, eh? That's no basis to start a religion on!) who buys Maxtor drives, loves them, recommends them and has never heard of any problems with them.

I wonder if there's a UK/US difference in manufacturing (well, wherever our respective countries get the drives from), since we seem to get good Maxtors and y'all don't.

maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 04:28      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
dont get a maxtor.

I have had a 300GB maxtor for 2 years now, and have never had a problem...
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 04:35      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maybe.logic:
quote:
dont get a maxtor.

Well you're the anomaly.
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 06:27      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have owned 4 LaCie drives and have been very happy with them. Currently I have a d2 extreme at home and at work. That plus "SuperDuper" has been a great backup method for my powerbook.
Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 06:52      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
dont get a maxtor.

If it's 300 GB, may I strongly recommend you backup? That'd be some pretty ugly data loss to deal with...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
hockeymachine
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5476

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 07:32      Profile for hockeymachine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about external enclosures? any recommendations? ive been looking at the metal gear box ii usb+firewire from supergooddeal.com. any comments?
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 13:03      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dont get an external, get an enclosure and an internal HD. See thread posted here on that. I just did that and it works great.

http://www.geekculture.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=002093

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
hockeymachine
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5476

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 16:48      Profile for hockeymachine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry i meant to say enclosure. metal gear box ii is an enclosure. http://www.supergooddeal.com/Metal_Gear_Box_II_USB2_0_Firewire_Combo_3_5_inch_p/miiu2f-bk.htm

let me know what you think of that or have better recommendations for enclosures.

maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 17:24      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
quote:
dont get a maxtor.

If it's 300 GB, may I strongly recommend you backup? That'd be some pretty ugly data loss to deal with...
Yes I have back-up discs, I don't care what brand of EXHD I were to have, I will always burn a back-up [Wink]
Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2006 17:12      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a 250 GB Samsung 8MB Drive in a Network HD Enclosure. It work's quietly, and fast too.

I like the enclosures since you can swap drives in and out and grab data off bad drives from it.

I paid $107 for it a year ago.

Posts: 193 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture