homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Wireless routers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wireless routers
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2006 11:00      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After years and years of having dial-up, a new comapny has come to my town offering wirelles internet with the simple installation of a wirelles radio on my roof.

Now that i am finally able to have high speed internet i am looking for a good router which will be able to connect my 4 pc's i am planning to connect wirelessly (spelling ???).

So does anyone have any advice or links wich will help me chose a router. The company adviced me not to chose D-link because they used cheap parts and liked to freeze up and said linksys was better but still had problems. They adviced 3com by Microage.

Any advice will be appreciated. Right now i am steering towards a 802.11G linksys router with speedbooster.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2006 13:13      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stevenback7 -

I use this Netgear unit. It is the first (and only) wireless router I have used, but I found the set-up to be a doddle, and the device is rock-solid. 2 years use, zero problems. Looks nice, but runs a little warm.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2006 18:18      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are certainly correct that staying away from D-Link products would be wise.

Netgear sold decent products a few years ago, but their more recent hardware is less than desirable.

IMO, your safest bet is to get a Linksys WRT-54G. It's a rock solid router that's been around for awhile, and one I'm comfortable recommending to people.

(Other benefits like custom firmware are nice; elaboration on this subject is available upon request)

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2006 07:05      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the advice,

One other question what is the diference between 802.11 g and 802.11 G with speedbooster (or sometimes called G+)?

--------------------

AntonTakk
Mini Geek
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2006 12:38      Profile for AntonTakk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
personally, I love the Netgear business stuff, stong, heavy metal cases, well made.

i hate their home stuff thou, cheap silver plastic

--------------------
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!' - Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posts: 83 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2006 23:31      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:
thanks for the advice,

One other question what is the diference between 802.11 g and 802.11 G with speedbooster (or sometimes called G+)?

Regular G reaches 54 mpbs while G+ gets 100 mbps, ignoring latency. Though EVERY thing on the wireless has to support it for it to work

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 24, 2006 06:51      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:
thanks for the advice,

Regular G reaches 54 mpbs while G+ gets 100 mbps, ignoring latency. Though EVERY thing on the wireless has to support it for it to work

And by everything you just mean the wireless router and the PCI cards all have to be G+?

--------------------

Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2006 07:22      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find that Linksys routers have the best range and strongest signal, with D-Link coming in at a close second; I've had poor experience with Netgear wireless routers.
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 24, 2006 08:03      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't touch anything that doesn't adhere to current industry standards. That means no 'G+,' 'Booster Acceleration,' 'pre-N,' or any of that bollocks. 802.11g is the way to go, with 802.11b as a viable fallback. Best case scenario: Using the weird stuff might actually work...on the few machines that have the same hardware on both ends. Worst case: You'll screw up wireless for nearly every machine but yours. [Smile] Stay away from the weird stuff!

The best option, of course, is to just use Cat-5. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture