homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Im utterly clueless about what to do

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Im utterly clueless about what to do
MelodramaticOne
Newbie Larva
Member # 5427

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2006 09:47      Profile for MelodramaticOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im utterly clueless... but i am about a lot of things I am so not a geek. But anyway since uninstalling a program i installed a week ago everything hes gone massive. It just fits on the screen. This box just fits. Literally. We have a normal sized computer screen anyway. I know how to get the icon sizes and window sizes donw but what about the massive buttons on the taskbar and web pages not fitting and the screen resolution already being at its lowest? Might seem a silly question but I know NOTHING about computers.

--------------------
Did you happen just to read the signature, Or did you read the whole thing?

Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2006 09:49      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whats the question?

Did I miss something?

Is this about changing your resolution?

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
MelodramaticOne
Newbie Larva
Member # 5427

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2006 10:01      Profile for MelodramaticOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More like everythings massive eg font size 10 on my screen looks more like 40, and at the smallest everythings massive. Each letter here is about 2 cms up on my screen, and the smilies [Big Grin] about 3cm each way [Frown]

--------------------

MelodramaticOne
Newbie Larva
Member # 5427

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2006 10:02      Profile for MelodramaticOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... likes its all magnified but of course it means it all doesnt fit on screen, so its hard to do stuff

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2006 10:28            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're assuming you're running Microsoft Windows version 95 or higher... And assuming it's nothing more than your screen being at the wrong resolution...

Right-click on the desktop (right mouse button) and select Properties. Select the Settings tab in the dialog box that comes up, and at the bottom should be a Screen Area slider. I imagine it says something like 640x480, so bump it up to whatever is comfortable. 1024x768 is a good starting point. If you set it higher than the monitor can handle, the screen will go blank, so don't panic, wait a few seconds for Windows to realise you can't see the screen (it puts up a dialog box to make sure) and then it will put the screen back as it was.

I've heard one account that Windows will allegedly make the screen do what you're suggesting at random, and the taskbar itself is no longer visible and the desktop extends past the sides of the monitor. It was not just the wrong res, the entire screen got screwed up. 3 cm for a smiley seems quite bad. But that went away after my dad pressed the power button to switch it off.

IP: Logged
MelodramaticOne
Newbie Larva
Member # 5427

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2006 10:37      Profile for MelodramaticOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i already did that but it wont go higher that 460 x 860 or something. As if its stuck.

--------------------

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2006 10:44      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoops

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
AntonTakk
Mini Geek
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2006 11:37      Profile for AntonTakk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sounds like you need to go in to the "advanced" tab and see about re-installing the driver for the video card, the monitor, or both

--------------------
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!' - Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posts: 83 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2006 13:29      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what kind of computer do you have? (if you don't know just go to Start ==> control panel ==> performance and Maintenance ==> system if it is a windows machine). Also what program did you uninstall?

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2006 06:22      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I had to. Really. [Razz]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 20, 2006 12:02            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You forgot to make the text pixellated.... It looks like high-resolution, large text. Silly.
IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2006 14:20      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, it could be the video driver, as mentioned above, but there's another possibility.
When windows gets confused, (eg wen it finds some files it needs are missing) it sometimes decides to start up in 'Safe Mode', where it only loads what's absolutely necessary to start up. The idea is to give the user the chance to get into windows and fix whatever the problem is. The most obvious sign that you're in 'Safe Mode' is that the screen is in 640x480 VGA mode, a mode that every video card can do without needing drivers loaded.

Try re-booting your PC and pay attention to the messages that come up, if it's coming up in 'Safe Mode', there should be a message explaining (probably cryptically) why.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2006 19:42      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MelodramaticOne:
Im utterly clueless... but i am about a lot of things I am so not a geek. But anyway since uninstalling a program i installed a week ago everything hes gone massive. It just fits on the screen. This box just fits. Literally. We have a normal sized computer screen anyway. I know how to get the icon sizes and window sizes donw but what about the massive buttons on the taskbar and web pages not fitting and the screen resolution already being at its lowest? Might seem a silly question but I know NOTHING about computers.

Is the DPI set to 96? You can find out the DPI of your text in display -> advanced. If it's greater than 96, everything will appear larger than you're used to.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2006 20:40      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
 -

I had to. Really. [Razz]

-

(Better, uill? I meant to post it yesterday, but something came up.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MelodramaticOne
Newbie Larva
Member # 5427

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2006 05:19      Profile for MelodramaticOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its not safe mode and um whats a DPI??? Im only 13

--------------------

MelodramaticOne
Newbie Larva
Member # 5427

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2006 05:20      Profile for MelodramaticOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O yh i know what it is. Its on 96

--------------------

MelodramaticOne
Newbie Larva
Member # 5427

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2006 05:25      Profile for MelodramaticOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:
what kind of computer do you have? (if you don't know just go to Start ==> control panel ==> performance and Maintenance ==> system if it is a windows machine). Also what program did you uninstall?

Um its
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Intel(R)
Pentunium(R)4 CPU 2.66GHZ
2.66GHz,521 MB of RAM

I uninstalled a free smiley thingy which downloaded its self.

--------------------

maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2006 06:57      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol, virus time, [Smile]

Run a virus scan and see what comes up, I would also advise not downloading and kind of free smiley software in the future... [devil wand]

stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2006 07:20      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I uninstalled a free smiley thingy which downloaded its self.

lol yeah you've been hit by a virus.

Next time watch out what you click on. If you don't need it then don't download it because even if it isn't a virus to much free smiley thingy's really slow down your pc.

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2006 08:10      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me looks up a bit.

Alright I have been trying to stay out of the"I need help" sections.

A few things. If the screen resolution is really at 640x480 and won't go any higher you need to check on the drivers.

Go to Start>>
My Computer>>
Right-click on it and select Properties.

A new window will pop up. There is a tab named Hardware. Click on the tab.

In the window there is a button named Device Manager.

That will bring up a new window with a listing of all of your hardware. Look for anything that may have eith an exclamation point or a question mark next to it. If that looks OK, then find a section named Display Adapters. Right click on that and you can view the properties.

In there, there are a few options. One is to re-install the drivers. If you still have a 'net connection, let the system go online and find the drivers.

This may not work, but it is worth a shot.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2006 11:42      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First run the scan and then do the ^, If the scan does'nt pick up anything which I am sure it will then either your anti-virus is pants, or you dont have one, Avast anti-virus is great, I swear by it and if you sign up when you download what should be shown on that link you get a free license code.
AntonTakk
Mini Geek
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2006 11:43      Profile for AntonTakk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just fyi, i read a user-run copmparison of av software a while back, and, if youre going to be downloading a free trial to clean the system, you might as well get kaspersky labs free trial, as it came out on top by a considerable margin with 84 or so percent of viruses detected, most everything else was bunched up around the 50s

not to mention my old archive of vulnerability code set it off like a bomb [Smile] even picked up some of the malformed html pages

--------------------
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!' - Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posts: 83 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture