homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Thanks!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thanks!
westgate
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5412

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 11:32      Profile for westgate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK this may be a strange one not sure...but basically I would like to know if it is thought rude, or to have a double meaning when the word Thanks is used with (!) .

My experiences show that people tend to use this (!) after thanks when thery are a little annoyed and not so thanking?...

Can anyone offer a point of view to settle this?

Posts: 1 | From: london | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 11:50      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. No point of view to offer.

But ... Thanks! [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 12:02      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guess would be that you did something extraordinay and they are wishing you a HUGE thanks.

Exclimation points usually are used for ...... Wait for it ...... Excitment or emphasis on something!!!!!

Thanks! for the post and welcome to the forums.

-MacD

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 12:03      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think, I would only say thanks and not mean it, as opposed to writing thanks and not meaning it, so that the intonation of my voice could be heard. In writing, I think it would be ambigious.

Thanks! garlic guy for your responce.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 12:57      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was always curious about that...

Is "Thanks! for bla bla bla," grammatically correct?

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 13:24      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello westgate -

If a message said simply 'Thanks!' and nothing else, I think most people would infer a lack of gratitude, or sincerity, in the sentiment being conveyed. However, a range of nuances could be intimated by setting the comment 'Thanks!' in an informative context.

Jace - the exclamation mark (or exclamation point) is a variety of period and, as such, signifies the end of a sentence. Therefore, 'Thanks! for bla bla bla..' would probably not be be considered grammatical.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 14:13      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Westgate

I Believe that 'Thanks !' could be used when someone is annoyed or not that grateful but so can just regular 'Thanks.It all depends on the context of the sentence wich decides if they are thankfull or annoyed.

Oh and Welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 14:44      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sound and NSFW

All you will ever need to know about the meaning of punctuation can be found here

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 16:52      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks! great info!

Thanks. you're real smart.

youseewhatididthere?.jpg

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 17:01            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D'oh. You're slipping, Steen, I expected that to contain lots of naked women and orgies and stuff (you know, what one expects anything of yours marked "NSFW" to contain ;-)
IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 17:57      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I just don't link the really freaky and horrifying stuff on the open forums. Check your PMs, though [evil]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 18:45      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mac D. got it right. ! means emphasis. "Thanks!" means an extra affirmation of thank you.
Grummash is right that you can't say "Thanks! for blah....", because it is ungrammatical, but I don't agree that "Thanks!" by itself is a lack of gratitute. In business use (or SMS) where conciseness and brevity is a desired attribute, than a "Thanks!" is a very condensed way of say "I really appreciate it" - a lone "Thanks", is just a formality.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2006 06:08      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2006 09:38      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the bunny. I want to use that at work. It's NSFW in a different way.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2006 10:01      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is also a MacMini version of the bunny pancake.

-

--------------------

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2006 10:07      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
Mac D. got it right.

I need to print this out and hang it on my cube!!!!

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture