homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » External HDs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: External HDs
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2006 16:09      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, so Im looking to get an external HD to supliment my laptop. Mostly on it will be music and games. Any info about them will be helpful, as well as ways to organize stuff. Thanks.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2006 16:36      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you want it bus powered? USB or Firewire?
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2006 16:41      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
USB, no firewire ports. It can be externally powered. Which is cheeper though?

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2006 16:53      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
External power is usually cheaper. Bus powered ones are usually 2.5" disks, and much more expensive.

I'd imagine that most of them nowadays have both USB and Firewire anyway, so that probably won't affect the cost too much.

Have you looked at just buying an external HD enclosure? If you have a reasonably sized internal HD laying around, you might save some money by just buying the enclosure.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2006 17:47      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think these are a neat idea (other manufacturers have similar products, this is just the first one google located).

You'll be able to access the drive from anywhere at home without all the tedium of connecting cables and looking for power points near where you want to sit. Plus, if you keep drive in an out-of-the-way place, there's a chance the MPAA won't find it when they raid your home.

There are also wireless access points with USB connectors that let you add 1 or 2 of your own external drives.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2006 19:47      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont have any spare internal drives, but looking at prices I might just get an enclosure and a drive. I like the wireless, but dont have a router. Its for a laptop, so no need for wireless. Plus its at college, and they have massive logs. I know, I work with ITD a lot. I mostly just intend for it to be always hooked up, unless I take my laptop to class, and then its just going to sit on my desk at my dorm, where there is no worry about a power point.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2006 02:57      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luke Skywalker___________________________I use the external inclosure internal 3.5 in set up. When 80Gigs was a big drive I bought one and installed it into a external drive box. I have found that Ubuntu, and the Mac OSs have no problem but the wifes Win box does not like to connect how ever maybe newer win. would work better, her comp. has win98 on it. Mostly full of Grandkid photo's.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted July 16, 2006 07:44      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no point in getting a 2.5" drive if it's going to be sitting on your desk all the time. Just grab a cheap USB2 enclosure and any ATA hard drive that suits your fancy, and you should be all set. Don't buy an assembled external hard drive, those are ridiculously overpriced. A 300 gig external drive will set you back at least $200, same hard drive and external enclosure can be easily found for around $120 or maybe even less, if you shop around.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture