homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » A question for you Mac Techs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A question for you Mac Techs
shriver
Geek
Member # 3556

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 14, 2006 09:35      Profile for shriver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A while back I mentioned my good fortune of coming into possesion of a used and slightly battered Titanium Powerbook (DVI 800mhz). i finally got aroung to ordering replacement parts for it (left hinge and superdrive), and yesterday I got them all installed.

The drive I ordered was a Panasonic UJ-845-B. It sems to be having the same, or similiar problems as my old drive had. IE, it will accept discs, and spin them up whe I turn on the computer, but discs won't mount, and I can't eject them. (I've tried holding down the mouse button at boot, as well as F12).

The drive isn't listed anywhere in the system profiler, either.

As far as the previous drive I had in here, I can't remember exactly how it was behaving, or whether or not it showed up in system profiler. I do remember it wouldn't read or eject any discs.

Does this seem likely to be related to the problems I was having before? Did I over look something like a firmware upgrade or a jumper setting? Other than that, what could be the problem? Maybe an IDE controller or cable?

This was my first time digging around in a Mac like this, so I am pretty inexperienced. Plus, this thing is a jungle inside...

Oh, and just out of curiosity, is there an easy way to tellt he difference between an aluminum hinge and a stainless steel one?

--------------------
And a thousand thousand slimy things
Lived on; and so did I.

Posts: 111 | From: Seattle | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2006 10:05      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you try going to Panasonic's website and looking for some Tech notes on your drive?

You can start by looking Here

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 14, 2006 10:35      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
shriver______________________Stainless will be heavier than aluminum, the alum should scratch easier than stainless. Magnets are about usless in testing the two metals however a grinding wheel will throw red sparks from stainless when touched lightly.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ronda
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2006 09:26      Profile for Ronda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since neither of two optical drives are working for you, it could be the connector that is the problem.
Posts: 3 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
shriver
Geek
Member # 3556

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2006 12:38      Profile for shriver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the replies. I didn't find anything helpful at Panasonic's website, but since it seems to be affecting both drives, I doubt that would really help anyway.

I was beginning to suspect the cable a little, myself, that or the IDE controller on the logic board. I hope it's not something on the logic board, that will be too expensive to replace. Could a cable malfunction cause the symptoms I am having, or is it more likely something else. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to spend the money on a cable.

Thanks,
Shriver

--------------------
Lived on; and so did I.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2006 16:19      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shriver:
Oh, and just out of curiosity, is there an easy way to tell the difference between an aluminum hinge and a stainless steel one?

Taste.

Most metals have a distinctive taste, just touch it to the tip of your tongue.
Mrs Druid can even tell purity of gold and silver alloys by this method.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2006 19:04      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, your advice to shriver is "lick it"? [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2006 20:50      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not for nothing, but I'm pretty sure there are unique characteristics about the different models of Apple 'Pro' laptops. I believe the TiBook had a metal cover over the ports on the back, whereas the AlBook has them on the sides (or it may be vice versa). Also, I've been told that one can note differences in the number of USB or Firewire ports, and placement, etc.

All these things should prevent you from having to lick it...unless you just want to get attention. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
shriver
Geek
Member # 3556

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2006 13:07      Profile for shriver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I do to my computer in my own home, is my own business. And besides, I wasn't trying to determine the model of Powerbook I have, I already know it's a Tibook 800 Mhz DVI. I was mostly curious about the hinge I bought. It was billed as a 'stainless steel repair part' but it looked suspiciously like the busted piece it was replacing (which was aluminum). I was mostly curious if there was any visual way to tell the diff.

Still struggling to get my DVD drive working, though. Stupid annoying Apple hardware.

--------------------
Lived on; and so did I.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2006 14:11      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry shriver...I probably should post later like that...I didn't have the full scope of the original post in mind when composing my reply.

*shrugs*

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2006 16:07      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bite it. If your teeth leave an indentation in metal, the hinge is aluminum. If the hinge leaves an indentation in your teeth, it's steel [Smile]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 24, 2006 03:42      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It was billed as a 'stainless steel repair part' but it looked suspiciously like the busted piece it was replacing (which was aluminum). I was mostly curious if there was any visual way to tell the diff.

Put a drop of mercury on the part. If it leaves a hole in the part, it was alluminum. This was you don't have to worry about hurting your teeth.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 24, 2006 11:27      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
quote:
It was billed as a 'stainless steel repair part' but it looked suspiciously like the busted piece it was replacing (which was aluminum). I was mostly curious if there was any visual way to tell the diff.

Put a drop of mercury on the part. If it leaves a hole in the part, it was alluminum. This was you don't have to worry about hurting your teeth.
No, instead you'll have to worry about mercury poisoning [Wink]

I'm definitely not a metals expert, but stainless steel should be fairly shiny, right? Aluminum will corrode to a dull gray when exposed to air. So if the hinge is not currently shiny you could buff it up with some fine steel wool and see if it loses its shine the next day. You could do the same to the bottom of a soda can at the same time to compare the rate of dulling.

Just don't use rusty steel wool, because then you'll have to worry about tetanus [Roll Eyes]

In fact, you should probably wait for someone to tell me I'm an idiot and there are aluminum alloys that don't corrode and will disintegrate when put in contact with steel wool. Because like I said, I'm not a metals expert.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 24, 2006 12:45      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
quote:

Jeez, so anti-social. Just ask it, wouldn't like IT biting you and pouring mercury on you to see what you were now would you?

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture