homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Cell Phone range…help..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cell Phone range…help..
opusthefowl
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5391

Icon 1 posted July 13, 2006 14:24      Profile for opusthefowl         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there…I am wondering about the range of a cell phone.

Scenario...
Let’s say I have a normal cell phone, maybe 2 or 3 years old…
On a very flat terrain…no hills, mountains or forests…
Except for me (with my phone), there is one normal cell tower there also…
Nothing is within 10,000kms…
Normal atmospheric conditions…

Question...
If I am at the base of the tower and start walking away from it, how far can I go before I can’t pick up (or send) to that one tower? Looking for a distance…

Thanks in advance…

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted July 13, 2006 14:34      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*ahem*

The maximum range of a site (where it is not limited by interference with other sites nearby) depends on the same circumstances. Some technologies, such as GSM, have a fixed maximum range of 35 km, which is imposed by technical limitations. CDMA and iDEN have no built-in limit, but the real limiting factor is really the ability for a low-powered personal cellphone to transmit back to the site. As a rough guide, based on a tall site and flat terrain, it is possible to get between 50 and 70 kilometers. When the terrain is hilly, the maximum distance can vary from as little as 5 to 10 km to about 40 km.

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2006 16:09      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
opusthefowl____________________________I have to agree with Cap't Vic however there are ways to even extend those numbers. There is an accessory vendor that sells actual range boosting external antennas for car use, out here where I and the Mrs live the nearest tower is some ten miles distant plus hilly, with out the external antenna we would be SOL in this area of Mich. The problem got much worse when they (the cellular people) took out the anilog towers and replaced them with this digital crap, before our phone was one of those big bag phones and it would work any where near here.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2006 16:13      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, I have a question, at the base of the tower shouldn't you get no signal? Isn't there some sort of umbrella effect?

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2006 16:59      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alfrin:
Wait, I have a question, at the base of the tower shouldn't you get no signal? Isn't there some sort of umbrella effect?

I didn't feel like being the smartass to point that out. Thanks. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2006 00:01      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, more like a mushroom.

-

RF propagates off the antenna (not the tower) and while the signal would be comparitivly weaker than other areas you would still get a signal.

In addition cell networks are, like the internet, built with redundancy so in most cases you are actually capable of hitting more than one tower at any given time with your mobile.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
opusthefowl
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5391

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2006 09:44      Profile for opusthefowl         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting. Thanks for your answers.

So, if a plane was cruising at an altitude of 12kms and the cell tower’s beam broadcasted “up” at 30 degrees, then through trig, I calculate that that signal would have to travel 24km before reaching the plane.

Based on Cap’n Vic’s numbers, there should be no problem calling/receiving from inside a modern jetliner due to the distance to a cell tower.

Is that right?

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2006 10:20      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
.....except that you would be travelling at about 500 miles an hour meaning you would be switching towers every few seconds this would lead to signal loss fo' shizzel.

Also, there are vast stretches of land not covered by cell towers.

.....are we doing your homework?

opusthefowl
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5391

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2006 10:31      Profile for opusthefowl         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol…no, no homework here…

Up to now, I have never bothered with the 9/11 conspiracy theories. What happened happened…

But yesterday, I stumbled on a documentary about 9/11. now, like any documentary, there are way too many facts to sort out to check it’s validity. I was impressed by this doc but I was/am very wary…

this cell phone puzzle was one thing that I could look into myself (with the help of those that know their stuff)…

any how…this all makes me a bit more curious about things…

United 93 was at it’s cruising speed/alt when the first call was made…how was that possible then? 500mph at 40,000ft….the first call was made 1 minute after the cockpit was taken..not sure if it was an air phone or a cell though…

Any how…my little wheels are turning a bit…it’s a bit of a puzzle…and I like puzzles…

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 14, 2006 11:09      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
(Image elided.)

Wow, Vic...nice scientific CDC!

P.S. Totally OT: This post was composed with vim using MozEx...'tis sweet!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2006 12:39      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
[/QB]

Wha????

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 14, 2006 13:53      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:

quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

Wha????

Erm, you are mostly a Fark visitor, I guess.

/me looks towards sosumi and other b3tans. [Wink]

--------------------

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2006 16:02      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha!

Ok, now I'm down with it you sick fucker. [Big Grin]

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture