homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » On Microbreweries...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: On Microbreweries...
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 04, 2006 14:41      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I've googled, read books, faqs, this post...

I'd like to try microbrewing, I'm slap bang in the middle of a long break before Uni, and trying to wean myself off World of Warcraft...

I'm into bitters and ales anyway from pretty small breweries (Black Sheep, Wychwood, etc.), so I think I have a fair idea of what I'm shooting for.

What are your personal experiences? Who's tried it? How did it turn out? What's this about the open-source beer?

--------------------
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent."
--Isaac Asimov

Posts: 490 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 04, 2006 14:54      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Microbrewing, eh?

Is that brewing at home? In my day we called that homebrew.

In my experience, it is worth doing only if you drink a lot of beer and want to save money. If you want to drink tasty beers, you are better off finding a pub that serves real ale, and paying your cash there.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 04, 2006 18:22      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's too much hassle for me to do often, but I have had fun doing the home brewing thing in the past. For obvious reasons I am kind or partial to Geordie 40pint Bitter.

--------------------
Geordie

Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2006 02:46      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a lot of fun home brewing, and it does give you a reasonable understanding of and respect for the skills needed to produce a good pint. However I would warn you that even under the most stringent sterilising and cleanliness regimes and accurate temperature control, the results tend to be unpredictable. A lot of my beer tended to acquire a not unpleasant, but quite distinct banana flavour. All this was about 30 years ago, and at that time the books by Ken Shales had lots of good tips and recipes.

If you want to set up an actual micro brewery I suppose the first thing you will need is investors, and the second is a lot of dedication and time.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture