homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Ram question.. plz help =)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ram question.. plz help =)
Adamup
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5307

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted June 25, 2006 04:05      Profile for Adamup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok.. so right now i have this in my machine..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227031

But i just purchased this...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145486

Question is.. should i leave the 2 512s in my ram slots along with the new 1gs (since i have 4 slots for ram) or should i remove the old 512s and replace them with the new 1gs?

What will make it run better? 3gs altogether or 2g of the new kind..

whats the compatiblity?

thanks =D

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2006 06:47      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have 4 slots and it is all the same spec so put it all in

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2006 09:46      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Download a couple of benchmarks and test your system in each configuration.

Usually more memory results in equal or better performance, but occasionally you'll find a particular motherboards actually runs better without all its memory slots filled. This often becomes more apparent when you start overclocking and trying to keep the latency of the memory down to improve performance. If you're not overclocking and you're running the system memory at spec for speed and latency, you probably won't notice a different.

But it's still fun testing it just to see [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2006 12:47      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're both rated at PC3200, so you're probably safe. What you don't want is one stick of RAM slowing down your memory clock.

The timings are slightly different for the two sticks, but if my recent (first!) purchase of OCZ memory is any indication, OCZ tends to lie about the timings that their memory is stable under anyway.

If you have four slots, set them up as paired dual channel sets of two. You'll get better performance that way.

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2006 13:09      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baaa! I thought this thread was going to be about sheep!
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2006 01:13      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

?

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2006 01:26      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<Mick-Dundee>That's not a big ram, this...
 -
... is a big ram!
</Mick-Dundee>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture