homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Multiple monitors on a mac?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Multiple monitors on a mac?
Panda
Newbie Larva
Member # 5110

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2006 19:29      Profile for Panda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So today I found I could hook up an old LCD monitor (from about 2 years ago) to my tablet pc. This is SO FREAKING COOL. [Big Grin]

So I was wondering if there's anyway to do with with an intel mac. There's no standard monitor port (I have no clue what the word for it is 0.o), so is there a way to do this?

--------------------
14 year old geek
Found this site through the Joy of Tech comics. :D

Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2006 22:38      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check the box your Mac came with there should be a "DVI to VGA adapter" (at least the G5s include this adapter).
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2006 07:15      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ports are HD15 for standard pc video, and DVI, which many new computers/monitors use.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2006 20:41      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I can tell from Apple.com, the MacBook Pros come with the DVI to VGA adapter, but the other Intel Macs do not. Note that the PowerPC iMacs and iBooks could only mirror the desktop on an external monitor.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragon34
Geek
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2006 19:02      Profile for dragon34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can do dual monitors with an intel mac. The MacBook Pros come with a dvi-vga adapter, the MacBooks and the iMacs do not. I don't think that the Minis can do dual monitors. The iMacs and the MacBooks can use a mini-dvi to DVI or mini-dvi to VGA adapter depending on the connector for your monitor. (The adapter is not included with those models) The connector is about 1/2 x 1/4 inches and is vaguely rectangular with two curved corners. The adapter is about 20 bucks and is available from the Apple online store (and other places) It should auto-detect, but you can go into the Displays system preference to arrange, and detect displays if it is not automatically detected.
good luck

Posts: 146 | From: Central PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
bassgoonist
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5044

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2006 05:28      Profile for bassgoonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector
vga is DE-15

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2006 16:04      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AKAIK all Macs since lord knows when will do dual monitors...

Some models only do mirrored monitors (especially the consumer models)

Pro models will do the "cool" split monitor mode... some Macs shipped with the adapter cable and some did not... if not then you can usually get one for about 30USD I believe...

FWIW I have at least 2 G4 iBook adapters sitting on the shelf doing nothing... and 2 G5 tower ones kicking about somewhere.. any UK GCer interested in one for a discount can PM me...

Well anyone really - but the cost of posting might exceed the value of the connectors...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture