homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Fixing stupid mistakes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fixing stupid mistakes
Ernie
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5290

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted June 19, 2006 08:31      Profile for Ernie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I'm labeling some disks I just burned in my CD burner and I reach for the phone with the pen in my hand.... and I end up marking my screen with indelible marker!

Help, how do I remover the mark without destroying my screen?

Posts: 2 | From: Bellevue | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2006 08:40      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What kind of screen?

If it is a CRT, then any common solvent should be fine - try nail varnish remover. If it is a flat panel, then you may be screwed.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2006 08:41      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What kind of screen is it?

If it's CRT you can use windex, It should take it of after a little scrubbing. If it's LCD I found a damp (Not drenched) cloth and lightly clean it. It may take a while. Don't scrub to hard. And clean the whole screen. I've done that before and had one clean spot and the rest was dirty.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2006 08:45      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some types of permanent markers come off with a little rubbing alcohol, so that might be something worth trying before you get into the stronger chemicals.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2006 08:50      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
Some types of permanent markers come off with a little rubbing alcohol, so that might be something worth trying before you get into the stronger chemicals.

mod parent up! [Wink]

Seriously, when it comes to computer equipment, isopropyl is your friend!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ernie
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5290

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted June 19, 2006 08:56      Profile for Ernie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the good ideas [Smile] . We'll start with water and move up the chemical ladder from there.
Posts: 2 | From: Bellevue | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2006 08:59      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You gotta be careful with both isopropyl and windex on CRTs, as it tends to mess up the anti-reflective coating on the screen if it has one.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2006 11:12      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
You gotta be careful with both isopropyl and windex on CRTs, as it tends to mess up the anti-reflective coating on the screen if it has one.

You need to use more isopropyl to fix that problem. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2006 12:27      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dman_________________I thought he needed more Ethanol to fix the problem, or if not fix it you don't care.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2006 00:42      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pour the ethanol on, yea....
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2006 13:23      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maybe.logic:
pour the ethanol on, yea....

I second the use of ethanol. Ethanol and diet soda, but not for the screen.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2006 14:23      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The person asks a question, Makes one more comment then leaves? Or maybe are advise destroyed his monitor so bad that he can't see and come back.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2006 14:30            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably made some typos and put TippEx on the screen....
IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2006 20:46      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sharpies are also erasable dispite being "permanant" (sp?).

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2006 21:46            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends if the surface is porous ... if it is, it's going to be hard to shift anything well.
IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture