homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » And now for something completely different

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: And now for something completely different
Elvermere
Geek
Member # 2456

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted June 15, 2006 07:49      Profile for Elvermere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all

I'm a member of the State Emergency Service (SES) here in Western Australia. Briefly, it's a volunteer organisation that helps out with emergencies, primarily Search and Rescue, Storm Damage (think Cyclone/Hurricane) and Earthquake (phew, not one for quite a while). For those of you who want more information try SES or SES volunteers association

As we are volunteers we don't get paid for our time and effort and up until quite recently we had enough people to work. Now we are struggling for numbers, like most other volunteer organisations.

So we are doing a recruiting drive. As we have one of the Perth universities literally across the road from our operations centre, I've been tasked with doing some recruiting there.

I've listed (briefly and by no means comprehensively) the factors that I see as useful in determining if this is for you.

Negative:
- Training for 3 hours every Tuesday night
- Call outs at any time of the day/night. If you can't make it, say no, but the expectation is that at least one of every three calls you should be able to make it
- Call outs may last a long time (8+hrs)
- Call outs don't have an estimated duration. Don't book anything after a call out as that likely 30min job may turn into 4 hours
- Basically it plays havoc with your social/study life

Positives
- Chance to learn new skills, such as
- Mapping and Navigation
- First Aid
- Chainsaw
- Off road driving
- Rescue techniques
- Chance to develop and demonstrate skills in
- Leadership
- Management
- A warm and fuzzy feeling that you are helping out people who aren't able to help themselves.

So this is where you come in. What is the best way to advertise this sort of thing. I'm talking about what to talk up and down, rather than the media used (I'm going to hit several).

I've been thinking about offering students the change to add to their resume/CV by learning some skills and being able to demonstrate more (like communication/interpersonal skills and leadership skills). I even had a slogan "Make your resume say more than just "Graduate"".

So is this sort of presentation going to turn heads? Do undergrads even consider that when they go to get a job that employers look for more than just their academic transcript?

And please, if you think of a better way of presenting this, post here or message me!

--------------------
Duct Tape is like the force.
It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Posts: 113 | From: Perth, West AU | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2006 08:19      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) in the US. I was involved in that when I lived in SD. We don't have it in MN, But I did learn a lot. If your intrested in a job in Medical or rescue this will look awsome on your Resume.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2006 09:35      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have CERT out here, too, but they always seem to plan the training when I just can't make it.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2006 11:08      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May I suggest making it a little more exciting than just "add a line to your résumé?" Emphasis the wild skills, the excitement, and the opportunity to be a hero. When you got their attention, mention that there's training, that it's not always exciting, and can even feel tedious at times, but don't forget to add that they get a chance at saving lives and making a difference. Say it's less risky and demanding than army, yet it will give them great stories to impress the (bar/pubs/whatever you call that kind of "watering" holes in Oz) crowds.

In other words, don't talk to their heads (they'll always find a reason why it's inconvenient), talk to their guts. That's how you'll get recruits.

(And about the "playing havoc on their study life", sell it as a wonderfull opportunity to approach their cute classmates: "Hey, I was out [putting out a wildfire in the bush/helping find a lost girl/whatever happened] and missed the course - could you [lend me your notes/help me make up for it/tell me what you talked about]?")

But what do I know. You asked for opinions; it's mine.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture