homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Intel Macs: Screenshotting in windows with a mac keyboard

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Intel Macs: Screenshotting in windows with a mac keyboard
Panda
Newbie Larva
Member # 5110

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2006 13:55      Profile for Panda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God, I feel like such a noob (I'm the one who gives "tech support" down at my school -- though its such noob work I doubt it could even count as tech support), but how do I take a screenshot with a mac keyboard while using Windows XP?

If you play WoW, this giant dragon was kited from the Blasted Lands to Stormwind City, and I realised I had no print screen button. [Frown]

--------------------
14 year old geek
Found this site through the Joy of Tech comics. :D

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2006 14:17      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Panda:
God, I feel like such a noob (I'm the one who gives "tech support" down at my school -- though its such noob work I doubt it could even count as tech support), but how do I take a screenshot with a mac keyboard while using Windows XP?

If you play WoW, this giant dragon was kited from the Blasted Lands to Stormwind City, and I realised I had no print screen button. [Frown]

Hahaha... Funny you should say that - I'm in the same situation you are, and don't have a really good answer. My solution? I have a PS/2 keyboard plugged in, which is currently on the floor - I take off my shoe, and hit the key with my toe.

YMMV. (Especially if you're dual booting, and not just using a USB keyboard. [Wink] )

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2006 14:31            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take it F13 doesn't work? Even my old AppleDesign keyboard has "print screen" written on the F13 key.
IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2006 14:44      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this issue as well since I share an apple keyboard with a Windows PC on a KVM.

I found a piece of software with which I mapped F16 to printscreen.

Unfortunately, I do not remember the name of the program I used...it's a single executable (no installer) and I seem to have misplaced it.

I'm fairly certain that a google query for "Scancode mapping" should turn up a decently useful set of results.

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Panda
Newbie Larva
Member # 5110

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2006 06:47      Profile for Panda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
F13 didn't seem to work for me.

I think the keybinding/scancode mapping thing is the only way to do this, since windows may not recognise any alternative keys to screenshot.

--------------------
14 year old geek
Found this site through the Joy of Tech comics. :D

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2006 07:55      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI: I do use this piece of software, but I'm quite hesitant to remap my F13 or F15, as the key codes /appear/ to map to stuff in my numeric keypad. I simply don't have time to screw around with breaking that and _rebooting_.

http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture